1st & 2nd Snakeskin Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from B Wo

B Wo

Following Don's tutorial in the library, I wrapped, cast, and turned two prairie rattlesnake blanks; one on a chrome Wall St III and one on a black Ti/chrome Elegant Wall St II.

Don, thank you for a great tutorial. C & C welcome. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• WallStIII.Chrome.Snakeskin.jpg
    WallStIII.Chrome.Snakeskin.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 196
  • WallStIII.Chrome.Snakeskin2.jpg
    WallStIII.Chrome.Snakeskin2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 156
  • WallStII.Elegant.BlackTi-Chrome.Snakeskin.jpg
    WallStII.Elegant.BlackTi-Chrome.Snakeskin.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 208
  • WallStII.Elegant.BlackTi-Chrome.Snakeskin2.jpg
    WallStII.Elegant.BlackTi-Chrome.Snakeskin2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 153
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

B Wo

I'm impressed! For a first time, that is excellent.

Thanks, Seamus. That's really encouraging coming from you.

It was a lot of fun. I have a couple bull snake blanks sitting, waiting to be cast tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

mharvey

no bubbles...no glazing...amazing...what PR are you using and how many drops...mine are either two brittle or soft....do you coat teh skin with something first?

its_virgil

Very nice and congratulations on such nice casts on your first try. You're welcome for what little I had to do with your success. Let's see more.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

B Wo

no bubbles...no glazing...amazing...what PR are you using and how many drops...mine are either two brittle or soft....do you coat teh skin with something first?

I'm using Silmar 41 resin. In regard to the hardener, I think less is more, and try to add fewer than 1% (but it's not an exact science for me), and then just wait a day - day-and-a-half for it to cure fully. I brush resin on the skins right before they go in the mold. The result is highly turn-able and very forgiving, but still solid and polishes up nicely.

Thank you, all, for the kind words. Got my cigar-style and Jr.-style molds in the mail, today (courtesy of PtownSubbie), so I'm looking forward to expanding my horizons.

Top Bottom