1942 CRT Tube Clock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Pen Maker

Pen Maker

This is a three inch cathode ray tube clock that I just finished routing out. I will make the tube cradle tomorrow and then it's ready for staining. I used all brass hardware and hope a dark maple stain will give it an antiquey look. I have on order some panels of green tint glass to insert in the sides of the housing for a see through effect. This vacuum tube was manufactured in Germany in Jan 30, 1942 and it works like a charm. Will post another snapshot when it's finished. Thanks. Forgot to mention the wood is Red Oak.

AnalogClock.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
S

spiritwoodturner

OK, that thing is really cool, but do fertile guys have to worry about going near it? Make's no never mind to me, I'm nuetered, but some young guy may leave the room glowing, and with...uh...less than he came in with?

Just a thought, but any time somebody comes up with some newfangled cathode raygun thingy I get nervous. Maybe you could provide lead manshields for visitors to, uh, wear?

Just lookin' out for ya,

Dale

leehljp

Member Liaison
OK, that thing is really cool, but do fertile guys have to worry about going near it? Make's no never mind to me, I'm nuetered, but some young guy may leave the room glowing, and with...uh...less than he came in with?

Dale

LOL! Don't tell me you never had a TV or a computer monitor without a CRT in it. I must be getting old, oh well, I am. :biggrin:

PM, Nice looking woodwork for a great antique. I would love to see the finished product. Be sure to post some pictures of it in action. That brings back memories of my youth and young adult life along with Heath Kits, Allied Radio, Lafayette Radio etc.

Pen Maker

Reply's to all.

That is so cool...
Harold, Thanks !!!

newfangled cathode raygun thingy
Not to worry Dale, this emits less energy than a typical cell phone. I appreciate it, somebody always needs to keep an eye out for me! 'Hey WATCH izzz! :eek:)
analog or digital

Hi Barney, this kit is strictly analog, and it came from a german website. www askjanfirst dot com, There is also a version out from Holland and it is digital or you can order both in one kit from that site, www dutchtronix dot com. The high voltage (anode) voltage is selectable either 600 or 900 volts provided by voltage doubler diode array's. No high voltage transformers, and no uneeded heat effects.

That brings back memories of my youth and young adult life along with Heath Kits, Allied Radio, Lafayette Radio etc.
Yes it does don't it Hank? Shame those great companies are a thing of the past. These kits are like chicken teeth these days.

only high voltage if you touch it
Jack, NOW YOU TELL ME !!!!

do you have the plans for the clock, or is it a kit.
Mike, You can download the assembly pdf from thiem-work (dot) de 'this is a german site so click on the top most icon and from that page you will see 'download in english' instructions. This kit was very reasonable priced. I thought the three inch tube would make for a nicer clock. I am now thinking the smaller two inch crt's would be more asthetic looking now.

Here is an update picture, tested and ready to stain the case, windows and corner brass have been received. Should have it finished by next weekend. Thanks for looking and your comments!

PM

Ready4Stain.jpg

Top Bottom