+1 from Massachusetts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

A couple of years ago, a work colleague gave me his spare lathe (a 1943 Dunlap) and my wife bought me a pen-making class at the local Woodcraft store as a birthday present.

That was fun -- so I started making Slimlines, then Slimlines without the center band, then Sierra/Mesa, then a couple other varieties.

A kind soul on WoodWorkingTalk shared some flame box elder, and it called for something a bit more special -- as a thank you, I made him a fountain pen (again from one of the standard kits). The result was okay (actually I think it's better than "ok") it has made me think about making pens without using the kits -- and the very helpful tutorials watch_art posted here & at the FountainPenNetwork nudged me into action.

Yesterday I got some taps and dies ... this morning I drilled and tapped a scrap piece of acrylic acetate to receive the section from an Olympian kit (M10 x 1 thread). It's the first time I ever put a thread on anything, so I'm quite pleased with my achievement :biggrin:

I'll just keep practicing making threads till I get a collet chuck (in between making kit pens and turning bowls!)

Attachments

• first tap test.png
    first tap test.png
    271.8 KB · Views: 161
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Welcome aboard!

Shawn is quite the fella, and a very talented penmaker that isn't afraid to share knowledge with anyone!

Scott (glad I have him as a friend) B

duncsuss

Thanks for the welcomes :biggrin:

got to start somewhere, the grip is probably the hardest!! well done.

I hope I didn't mislead you into thinking I turned the nib section -- I bought that complete from Berea Hardwoods. The only part I worked on was the yellow acrylic into which it screws.

Top Bottom