1 1/4"x8 vs 1x8 Lathe accessories

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

If you have a lathe and accessories that are based around a 1x8 spindle, if you change to a lathe with a 1 1/4" x 8 spindle is there an adapter that will let you use your 1x8 accessories?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

Yes.

I switched from a Delta lathe with a 1"x8tpi spindle to a Powermatic with a 1 1/4"x8tpi spindle. PSI sells an adapter at a reasonable price (although Amazon sometimes lists it for less). It's pretty good quality for the cost.

Regards,
Eric

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I have that adapter. When I use a mandrel, I use it in a collet chuck. That adapter is solid, so you can't slide anything long-ish back into your headstock. I solved that problem by drilling a 3/8" hole through the solid part of the adapter.

MarkD

In addition to the adapter, I was able to replace the threaded insert in my chucks with a 1 1/4x8 insert so that the adapter is not necessary when using the chucks.

Fish30114

I wasn't aware that you could replace the inserts in chucks--that seems like an even better option.

Penguin, I didn't know that it would add slop, but I did suspect it--in the mfg world, we referred to it as 'tolerance stack'

Thanks again--Don

Top Bottom