What's this in my Jack Daniels blank ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ironwood

Hi all, I just got around to having a look at starting a JD pen, when drilling the blanks I noticed some lumps under the charcoal and crud coating.

I sanded them back a bit and these were revealed. They seem to be on the surface that would have been the outside of the keg.

Do they use wooden nails to hold the hoops in place maybe ?

IMG_0674.jpg IMG_0676.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alejanders

I think, it is a defect of barrel's staves. There was a knot in wood, barrel makers cut if off an replace with plug.

You may leave it as "charming detail".

Please tell me, that is aroma of that blank? Recently I have bought JD blank, but it smells Sherry, not Whiskey.

Ironwood

My blanks have a sweet alcohol smell, it doesnt smell like straight JD. I thought it may have lost a bit of smell after drying out a bit.

I will soak with CA as I am turning, to help the wedges stay in place, they will make a nice feature I hope.

Curly

I knocked apart a French wine barrel a couple years ago and there were pegs driven through the top and bottom edges into the staves. There may have been some between the pieces of the tops and bottoms too, to keep them aligned but I can't remember for sure. The hoops were held with short "T" nails driven with nail gun of some kind through the hoops. Hard to pull out. There are going to be variations in the construction from place to place and at various times so the barrel your blanks came from will be different than the one I have.

Alejanders

My blanks have a sweet alcohol smell, it doesnt smell like straight JD. I thought it may have lost a bit of smell after drying out a bit.

I will soak with CA as I am turning, to help the wedges stay in place, they will make a nice feature I hope.

Uses sherry barrels usually use for whiskey ageing. I don't know why barrel, that holds whiskey for 7-10 years not soak with whiskey and hold aroma of sherry.

Maybe CA soaking is not a good idea? You will not get alcohol aroma in pen. It will just pen from oak.

sbell111

Uses sherry barrels usually use for whiskey ageing. I don't know why barrel, that holds whiskey for 7-10 years not soak with whiskey and hold aroma of sherry.

Maybe CA soaking is not a good idea? You will not get alcohol aroma in pen. It will just pen from oak.
The alcohol aroma never survives to the finished pen, and wouldn't last for a long time even if you didn't finish the pen. Since the blanks are charred on the one side and have a 'soak line' from the whiskey, it is not too difficult to make the pen look different than any other oak pen.

It should be noted that Jack Daniels uses only new barrels and never reuses them. A true JD blank should not smell of sherry.

Alejanders

I thought that JD pen without finish, that stores in closed box with JD shavings can keep aroma long time...

I know that many whiskey makers use old barrels from sherry, Port Wine or Madeira wine.
It is good that JD always use brand new barrels, but very strange, than it smell not with aroma of pure JD.
By the way, I have bought my blank from Timberbits, it comes with certificate so I am not doubt that it it genuine JD blank.
Just I have expected another aroma.

desertrat

You have stumbled on to an old bartender's trick to make cheap burbon taste like Jack Daniel's 7 afew drops of cherry juice in the bottle will do the trick.
I was a bartender for many years.

John H

John Pratt

In order to be called Bourbon Whiskey in the United States, it must be aged in NEW oak barrels. Although JD is is not called a bourbon because it is charcoal mellowed, it is aged in new white oak barrels. They are not reused from other spirits.

THarvey

If the plugs are under the charcoal, they were on the inside of the keg. The inside of the barrel is what gets fired to produce the chared effect.

Barrel makers cut out knots and bark inclussions and replace with hardwood wedges. Bark or knots could effect the flavor of the contents. Plus, the wedge insures the barrel will not leak through the old knot hole. The wedge is driven in tight, then the curve of the stave once the barrel is made makes the wedge an even tighter fit.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
In order to be called Bourbon Whiskey in the United States, it must be aged in NEW oak barrels. Although JD is is not called a bourbon because it is charcoal mellowed, it is aged in new white oak barrels. They are not reused from other spirits.

This is, absolutely correct!!

However, many of the barrels are shipped to Scotland, where they are used to create Scotch whiskey. Thus, a "Scotch" barrel stave actually has performed "double duty". I believe this is the reason they retain their aroma--and BOY do they RETAIN aroma!!!

jskeen

By law for a spirit to be called "Bourbon" in the usa, it must:
1 be made in the USA
2 be at least 51 percent corn
3 be aged at least 4 years in NEW oak barrels
4 must be aged at less than 160 proof and bottled at less than 80 proof.

The reason for the last is that the bourbon actually absorbs sugar and tannin from the oak and is flavored by the wood, as well as gaining color from the charred lining, and concentrating the flavors as the pure ethanol evaporates out through the oak (the angels share) leaving the flavored "impurities" There is a balance point where the sugar is depleted but the tannin's continue to be absorbed, producing a spirit that is too bitter and astringent in flavor. That's why you can buy 30 year old scotch, but not 30 year old bourbon. Most distilleries also sell whisky that is not billed as bourbon, and therefore is not required to be aged in new casks. These lesser spirits are usually sold as "whisky or blended whisky" and may have artificial flavors added to mimic the carmel taste from the scorched sugar in the new oak casks. After being used a second time for non bourbon whisky, casks are often sold for other uses, including possibly storing port or sherry. Many are in fact sold to distillers in the UK and used to age scotch or irish whiskey as well. Scotch is flavored by the smoke from the peat used to dry the malt, more than anything else, so there is no downside to letting it continue to evaporate and condense the flavor longer (other than the continued loss in volume through evaporation).

Jack Daniels (and George Dickel) are legally bourbons, though they do not claim to be. They are Tennessee sipping whiskies made using the Lincoln county process, which is a legal statute laying out the way whisky should be charcoal filtered.

Kentucky is the only state allowed by law to use the state name in conjunction with the Bourbon appellation, which is why there are no Tennessee bourbons or Missouri Bourbons.

Conard

I grew up just up the road from the JD distillery and lots of my dad's family worked there. I remember they would bring us a couple of used barrels every now and then and my task was to take the jigsaw and cut the barrel in half to make planters for my mom.
The aroma was pretty powerful.
Conard

Rick P

As much as Alaskans drink I thought they would sell fast here. So far thats not the case. I have had some very bad experiences with whiskey and the smell makes me nauseous so I haven't turned many of them, couple for old drinking buds is about it.

Ironwood

Thanks for the responces Guys, so the mystery is solved for me, wedges to fill knotholes and bark inclusions.

I thought they were on the outer face, due to being on the outside of the curve. There seemed to be charred bits on both faces, so I am not real sure on that.

These blanks also came from Timberbits.

Top Bottom