Stretch Atlas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RHossack

RHossack

In another post I lengthened the Atlas a tad bit because they are just too short.

Parts for this is 1 - Long Clicker Pencil tube and 1 - Uni-Ball 207 Refill

Goal: To make a "Longer Atlas" style pen.

The stock Atlas tube is 2.84" long. I cut down a Long Clicker Pencil tube from 4.39" to 3.59". I was figuring on 3/4" being enough but it was too long and I think it is 3.47".

Have a Uni-Ball 207 Gel refill to slip in there to see if it works.

OK ... here's what I came up with ...

6574344LongAtlas_001__800x600_.JPG

I Just finished my first rendition of the "Stretch Atlas" using a Uni-Ball 207 Gel refill.

The tube length is 3.47" long. It can be shorter and I will do that for the next one.

Wood is 'Chocolate Mango' and finished with three coats of Thick CA and then MM and Brasso and the timber is just chock full of colors.

Never turned Chocolate Mango before and after seeing this piece I'd like to find more or some Spalted Mango. Bad lighting so pics are not very good but you'll get the idea.

8854869Stretch_Atlas_002__800x600_.JPG

6522086Stretch_Atlas_003__800x600_.JPG

You can compare the standard length Atlas in this pic.

9818685Stretch_Atlas_004__800x600_.JPG

Here Is a Click Rhodium on the top and then the Stretch Atlas and the standard Atlas so you can see the comparisons.

7448302Stretch_Atlas_005__800x600_.JPG

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Freethinker

Great innovation...it vastly improves the looks.

I think the pen kit companies ought to take notice and permanantly lengthen their Atlas pen models to that length.........I have NEVER had a person pick up one of my (few) Atlas pens out of the case and say --

"Now THIS one is the one that looks best to me!"

Most people just do not find them attractive at all.

RichB

Looks great Ron. It is amazing what can be figured out when you set down and really dig into the pen parts. It all seems to fall together. I like the longer look. Thanks for showing. RichB

ghostrider

Sweet.

I've been meaning to do that with the Executive and Atlas/Polaris. I plan to do it a bit differently, and use the Jetstream refill. You might try the Jetstream as it writes very smooth, and dries faster than the 207.

Just one of the many "Things I plan on doing".

RHossack

Thanks all for the comments ... I forget to post here every now and again I'll slip in something.

Sweet.

I've been meaning to do that with the Executive and Atlas/Polaris. I plan to do it a bit differently, and use the Jetstream refill. You might try the Jetstream as it writes very smooth, and dries faster than the 207.

I've not heard of the Jetsream refills ... but I will see who has them locally and give it a try.

I'd also like to see if there are any other gel type refills (shorter?) other than the 207 style that might work.

Thanks for that tip.

ghostrider

Thanks all for the comments ... I forget to post here every now and again I'll slip in something.

Sweet.

I've not heard of the Jetsream refills ... but I will see who has them locally and give it a try.

I'd also like to see if there are any other gel type refills (shorter?) other than the 207 style that might work.

Thanks for that tip.
My favorite pen. Writes waay smooth, and dries faster than anything I've seen (Limited experience).

That's my plan at least.

Dan_F

That's a gorgeous blank, and the length ought to give pause to folks that are familiar with the standard size.

Dan

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
hmmmmm

I think there are several designs that could benefit from a stretch version. Yours looks great. I do like finial twist and I do like showing a lot of wood. I've never really quite understood why the 7mm longwood style from PSI isn't more popular.

Top Bottom