Cool resin effect

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ElMostro

So I was getting ready to do a custom 100 oz cast when a bunch of things went wrong (I won't go into the details) and I ended up making some resin only slabs. Here are the results of my screw-up. If I could only remember now all the things I did wrong and the sequence so I can repeat them.
Whadayathink?

Attachments

• Purple & Gold 1.jpg
    Purple & Gold 1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 375
  • Purple & Gold 2.jpg
    Purple & Gold 2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 381
  • Blue & Gold.jpg
    Blue & Gold.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 389

Rick P

These were all I needed to convice the wife that we should invest in the stuff to do resins, Thanks! And they are awesome!

wood-of-1kind

You've got a "recipe" for disaster, yet you will be able to sell these for a small fortune. Will make some awsome pen blanks and the like.:)

Last edited:

Buzzzz4

Looks like the Alumilit was poured at the thickened stage as if you were pouring taffy. I've had something similar, but it looks much cooler with those colors.

DozerMite

Banned
Mine all look just like that too. Once you cut them open, they won't look anything like that in the center.

PaulDoug

I think if you cut into them and they turn out looking like DozerMite's blanks, you done awfully good. Please let us see.

Last edited:

ElMostro

Looks like the Alumilit was poured at the thickened stage as if you were pouring taffy. I've had something similar, but it looks much cooler with those colors.

Yes and no; part of the resin was thickened and part of it was liquidy (is that a word?)

These were all I needed to convice the wife that we should invest in the stuff to do resins, Thanks! And they are awesome!

Good luck, I am glad I could help.

They look great, but I don't see where anything went wrong..all my blocks look like that.

Well,it did not work for what I was attempting to do but I agree they turned out interesting.

I wonder what they're like once you cut into them. I like the blue/gold ones myself, very cool colors.
Jonathon, I will be cutting them up today...so we may get to see whet they really look like.

Mine all look just like that too. Once you cut them open, they won't look anything like that in the center.
Yea, I know...its hit and miss on casting, some look spectacular and end up looking dull and then some look crappy and end up looking spectacular...

ElMostro

The results of my screw-up

Here are the blocks sanded down and cut up.

This is the purple and gold block;
PurpleGold1.jpg
PurpleGold.jpg

This is the cobalt blue & gold block;
BlueGold1.jpg
BlueGold.jpg

Andrew_K99

Wow, those look really cool!

I don't know anything abuot casting ... but ... I wonder if you poured one color into the other color and there was a big temperature difference between them? So one flowed nice and the other was lumpy? This would explain why where the colors meet there is a darker area where they have mixed.

AK

Last edited:

Timebandit

Yeah, that first block is as close to a "resin burl" as you are going to get. Looks like real burl!!They look spectacular!!!!I will also take one of each:biggrin:

MartinPens

Yeah, Holy ______!!

Put me on the receiving list too! : )
I don't suppose you are revealing how this mad scientist thing came about? I'm new to casting and I would love to make a "mistake" like that!

Congrats

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Grim Spirit

Yes and no; part of the resin was thickened and part of it was liquidy (is that a word?)

Liquidy may or may not be a word. A better word is Viscous (the resistence of a fluid to flow). Something with a high viscosity will pour slower than something with a low viscosity.

This also demonstrate the importance of keeping copious notes. In a lab, keeping notes is more important than getting it right. The most popular plastic on the face of the Earth was found by accident (Polyethylene). Without the scientist keeping accurate notes, it might have taking a very long time to replicate.

Lesson over: Those are some REALLY AWESOME looking blanks.

EricJS

Eugene,

You've just created the new "LavaLamp Mutts". Now if you can repeat this you'll have a hit!

I'd certainly buy some!:biggrin:

MartinPens

No problem. I was saying "put me down on the list" as a statement of complimenting the work. No purchase intended.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

ElMostro

Looking more at them, was the purple thicker or the bronze? It looks like an alien creation.

Yes and yes; for the purple and gold there were 4 mixes; 2 purple and 2 gold. Those mixes were 1 purple and gold of the fast setting alumilite and the other purple & gold of the slower setting alumilite.

I was able to replicate the process last night (I think) and will be pulling them out of the pots later today to see what they look like.
Eugene

ElMostro

Oops, I did it again (I think)

The kid and smart A in me says "cool trick mister...but can ya do it again?"
The caster in me says "Holy _____ those are COOL!"

So I was wanting to see if I could replicate the earlier casts so I gave it a try. Here are two more blocks in raw form:

Block1.jpg
Block2.jpg

Close enough?

Eugene

arw01

Wow those are cool, love those purple ones!

What happens if say, you cool one of the Alumilite mixes before the catalyst is mixed? Would that allow you do some some interesting things with a "warm" mix into the cool mix?

ElMostro

Wow those are cool, love those purple ones!

What happens if say, you cool one of the Alumilite mixes before the catalyst is mixed? Would that allow you do some some interesting things with a "warm" mix into the cool mix?

Yes, it will. If you use cold and warm mixes you acheive a similar effect as using the slow setting and fast setting resins but the "sweet moment" is a bit harder to predict (al least for me it was) and also the two colors end up with less separation.

biednick

So I'm kind of confused. Obiously you mix the 2 colors and let one thicken, but then do you pour the thicker one into the thinner one? Or the other way around? Basicly whitch one do you pour into the mold first? Thanks in advance.

ElMostro

So I'm kind of confused. Obiously you mix the 2 colors and let one thicken, but then do you pour the thicker one into the thinner one? Or the other way around? Basicly whitch one do you pour into the mold first? Thanks in advance.

You pour the hot one first then the cold one on top. The heat from the bottom resin makes it rise in the shape of large bubbles through the top cooler resin giving you the "LavaLamp" effect (ericjs came up with the name). The larger/deeper the pour the better since it gives the "bubble" more distance/time to travel through the cooler resin. The key is timing it right, pour too early and no effect...pour too late and no effect.

Eugene

Tanner

Those look beautiful Eugene! You have to put more out there for sale. Purple and gold looks amazing. Since I'm a Minnesota Viking fan that caught my eye right away.

kronewi

When you are pouring the Alumilite for blanks, do you use the Alumilite White, Clear, or some other type they sell. I think they also sell one that cures as a tan. When I ordered my first batch of Alumilite it was the clear but I don't get the vibrant colors you are getting. I just get a transparent colored blank. When I try mixing colors cannot see the two colors unless I hold it up to a bright light. I am looking to order some more but want to get the right stuff this time.

Thanks,
Kevin

When you are pouring the Alumilite for blanks, do you use the Alumilite White, Clear, or some other type they sell. I think they also sell one that cures as a tan. When I ordered my first batch of Alumilite it was the clear but I don't get the vibrant colors you are getting. I just get a transparent colored blank. When I try mixing colors cannot see the two colors unless I hold it up to a bright light. I am looking to order some more but want to get the right stuff this time.

Thanks,
Kevin
Are you mixing any colored mica powders in with the resin?
Mica is your friend and mine to :O)

Top Bottom