Shop Organizing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CV Wood

I have been pondering the reorganization of my shop for a few weeks now. Small place much stuff. I got a couple of Woodsmith books on shop storage and found a few things I liked. But I really like the ideas in the American woodworker article that was shared on another Forum I use. http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/...your-shop.aspx. Now all I have to do is clean out the stuff I really do not have to keep and get to work. I think I can fine at least one thing I do not have to keep. Maybe!
I thought there may be some in this Forum that would like the ideas in the article .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jtpalmer

I read the article in that magazine a few years ago and it inspired me to organize my shop. I copied the system, but used french cleats, which are much easier to make. It works just as well but saved me having to build the tool holders. But that system is very cool and I dream of a shop that is that neat and organized!

CV Wood

I read the article in that magazine a few years ago and it inspired me to organize my shop. I copied the system, but used french cleats, which are much easier to make. It works just as well but saved me having to build the tool holders. But that system is very cool and I dream of a shop that is that neat and organized!

Thanks for sharing that. I was thinking the french cleat would work just as well and save time and money. I think that is the way I will go. I dream of a shop that is neat, organized and clean too. But would be happy with just some organization. Time to get rid of some of those things I have kept becouse one day I may need them. Some are 20 years old. Can't put 5 lb in a 4 lb shop and have room to work.

sbwertz

We converted a 2 car carport to a workshop. (the cars sit out in the weather!) My husband has built me a whole wall of hanging cabinets, 3 30" and 4 18" wide and 40" high and 12" deep. All are hung on french cleats. (And all are now FULL, mostly of pen blanks. But we can walk through the workshop again.)

The french cleats allowed the two of us senior citizens to hang the oversized cabinets by ourselves.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Wow... I have a plastic system that works ok (my FIL molded them at one point in time). But this ROCKS.... We're hoping to move to a place where I can get a dedicated shop this year. This will be HIGH on my list when that happens.

Thanks for the link!!!

sbwertz

Here is my storage wall with a closeup of an unmounted cabinet with french cleat. You can see the cleat on the wall to the right of the cabinets. All you have to do is lift the cabinet and set it on the cleat.

Attachments

• IMG_2563 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    IMG_2563 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2565 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    IMG_2565 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_2566 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    IMG_2566 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

dhallnc

If your wife sees that you can make & keep your shop looking like that, she's going to expect it in the house, car, your pick-up and on and on.

CV Wood

If your wife sees that you can make & keep your shop looking like that, she's going to expect it in the house, car, your pick-up and on and on.

TOO LATE! My wife is big in to crafting with the Cricut and stamping. She saw the article. I already have my orders for her craft area in the house.

Top Bottom