how do you organize your pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I'm using the box dump method for now...LOL I have about 10 more boxes like this full of kits around the shop right now. Eventually they will all go into drawers and will be sorted by kit type. Moving a shop sucks.

Attachments

• IMG_4771.jpg
    IMG_4771.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 464

greggas

I went to Lowes and bought about 25 of those screw / hardware organizing plastic cases ( on special for $ 2.99 each when I did it) and use one for each of the pen kits I use. I keep the trim in the little plastic bags to avoid scratching but am able to get rid of all the larger bags. this really cleaned up the pen section of my shop and they all stack nicely on one 4' wide shelf...also having them in the cases avoids the inevitable dust pile build up for those of us who have yet to master the 100% dust elimination method in the shop.

HSTurning

Neil
If you dont want to move things like that. Just seal the box and mail it to me. You have my address.:)
I'm using the box dump method for now...LOL I have about 10 more boxes like this full of kits around the shop right now. Eventually they will all go into drawers and will be sorted by kit type. Moving a shop sucks.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
We're supposed to organise them???:eek:

My bench rarely looks like this ( Honest!! :redface: ) but the drawer always does.

Attachments

• Organised.jpg
    Organised.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,105

intillzah

Like this:

1_11-30-09_2056.jpg

Slimline kits on the upper bin and high end/key chain kits in the lower cardboard bins. Since that pic has been taken I've printed labels for what's what...

Toni

Ah Toni, you wouldn't be the first pretty face to say I have some awesome kit in my drawers!!!! :biggrin::tongue:

I dont have any witty response to that...LOL You made me laugh..so what kits do you have in them drawers? Looks like a few Majestics maybe

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
But Toni, I thought you were partial to short, stubby and blue.........................................................pens.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I dont have any witty response to that...LOL You made me laugh..so what kits do you have in them drawers? Looks like a few Majestics maybe

I refuse to take this any further. I like it here too much. But I believe there is only one Majestic in there:biggrin:

Toni

refuse to take this any further. I like it here too much. But I believe there is only one Majestic in there:biggrin:
Party Pooper!! Just one...I would love to play with another BIG pen.

Mike~LOL I will dip my pens in all different ink wells.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Ryan,
Sorry your thread got side tracked. :eek: I throw all of my kits in a box. I do, at least, try to rubber band all of the same style kit together.:wink:

Whaler

I did a clean up and organize project this spring and this is what I came up with. I couldn't find the bins I wanted within 50 miles of me so I ordered them from Amazon. Each bin has 18 drawers and each drawer will hold up to 4 or 5 kits. Each drawer is labeled with the kit style and the finish. The bin that partially shows contains my bushings. I also bought a Brother PT-1880 label maker and it is fantastic.

Attachments

• IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 406

THarvey

Here is mine. I have two drawers in my cabinet with 1/8" hardboard dividers, for kits. The 35mm film canisters hold bushings.

Also took a pic of my blank storage. Picked up the shoe rack at a yard sale for $1.

Third picture is my cabinet, right after I made it, before it became a working surface.

Attachments

• Storage - Kits.jpg
    Storage - Kits.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 420
  • Storage - Blanks.jpg
    Storage - Blanks.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 451
  • Tool Cabinet.jpg
    Tool Cabinet.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:

glen r

I keep my kits in the plastic jars that you get when you buy almonds/mixed nuts at Costco. The nut labels are peeled off and then I take the label off one of the kits and put it on the jar and all the same kits go into the jar. Different kits are in different jars. I keep the bushings for each kit in a labeled plastic bag in the jar of kits that they fit. I still have to figure out how to store my blanks so that I know what I have at a glance. My present random filing system takes too much time to find what I'm looking for.

seamus7227

I really like your setup, looks like a baby changing table with drawers, I'm gonna start hunting through garage sale ad's now! thanks for posting

Lovin the humor on here as well, makes things interesting on here, spices it up a little

Here is mine. I have two drawers in my cabinet with 1/8" hardboard dividers, for kits. The 35mm film canisters hold bushings.

bitshird

I do have all of my bushings organized, they hang on a rod that sits on a shelf and are all on shower curtain hooks, and I even have some plastic cabinets that at onetime were almost organized, NOW it's all in the hands of the Lord system, "seek and ye shall find" I looked for 3 weeks for a pair of Imperials and a Casien blank, I finally found the imperials in one of my machinists chests, still looking for the Casien, so now I have to order two blanks for the pair of pens.I have always been of the mindset that a clean organized bench is the mark of a person that does little work, otherwise his bench and desk would look like mine.

THarvey

I really like your setup, looks like a baby changing table with drawers, I'm gonna start hunting through garage sale ad's now! thanks for posting

Lovin the humor on here as well, makes things interesting on here, spices it up a little

The cabinet is two drawer sections from a kitchen counter store. Bought them as salvage.

The top is from a demoletion job I did.

Most expensive part of the cabinet is the casters.

tim self

I don't dare take pix of mine after looking at the changing table. Some hang on a screw on the wall, others on the bench, bullets everywhere. Blanks started out in small tubs but ran out of tubs so they are migrating as well. At least I have fun doing it.

phillywood

I did a clean up and organize project this spring and this is what I came up with. I couldn't find the bins I wanted within 50 miles of me so I ordered them from Amazon. Each bin has 18 drawers and each drawer will hold up to 4 or 5 kits. Each drawer is labeled with the kit style and the finish. The bin that partially shows contains my bushings. I also bought a Brother PT-1880 label maker and it is fantastic.

what do you mena by style and finish?
I am trying to start out right so i won't fall into that kinda pitfall. cna you explain. Finish that you put on the pen? or the finish of the metal they come in?

phillywood

well few things I have done, not for penmaking yet. I am starting from scratch. but here is some ideas
1- when buying drugs from the drug store after running out of your drugs, then peel off the lable and now you have a capped tube, so you can store bushings and small parts in, and they are free. If you are a nice person sometimes you can ask your farmacist for few of the balnks in different lengh. (please, do not give him my address though)

2- Peanut butter jars that are clear, are excelent for storing and they are free. Plus if you are not a labeler then you can see through them.

3- The trays that you buy your meet in (black ones) can be used and if you have 5 or 6 then you can make carcase for it with routed grooves now you have a narrow drawer that was free except your scrap wood that youotherwise throw away.
I think that you maybe able to cast in them too. and they are pretty sqr.
The most important thing is that they are free and you save some palstic getting into the land fills tht take forever to decompose.
the winner point is that wives would be happy ,becuase you didn't spend any money. so she can buy her next dress on line.

Now the important QSN. Seriously how much money you guys got tied up in all those kits and blanks. You can send them my way aand i'll turn them for you, so I ge the experience, and you get the joy of watching and admiring the work of art.:biggrin::biggrin::rolleyes:
I only wish!:party:

Mark

what do you mena by style and finish?
I am trying to start out right so i won't fall into that kinda pitfall. cna you explain. Finish that you put on the pen? or the finish of the metal they come in?

Style would be Cigar, Slimline, Zen, etc.
Finish would be Gold, Satin, Copper, etc.

Last edited:

toolcrazy

Mine started as quart ziplock bags. Each type of kit in one bag. Then they are in a plastic bin. Slowly moving to a multi-drawer organizer. Bushings go into a kit bag and labeled, if not already.

nava1uni

I punch a hole in the bag and then hang all of the like kits on a shower hook. I store them in a plastic bin with a lid so they don't get dusty. The various bushings are stored in plastic bags and then kept in divided boxes. They are stored in a roll away tool chest that I kept all of my turning equipment in so it can be rolled near my lathe when I am working.

Top Bottom