Votes: 86 87.8%
  • BEST TO HOLD OFF AWHILE

Votes: 12 12.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I understand the concern over the timing. 2 things immediately come to mind. 1) Do we really want to miss out on PITH 2009? 2) Surely everyone can squeek out 1 more masterpeice along with all the rest. Lets all take a deep breath and remember why most if not all of us do this crazy thing we
call "pen turning", it is supposed to be FUN!:RockOn: Don't start a list of participation here in this thread. But rather answer this, TO GO? or TO WAIT? What is your Opinion. Again, if(No, WHEN) this moves forward I will start a new thread for sign ups. I just want to get a feel for everyone on the timing.

Landon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Gonna let this go for just a few days to help decide where this will go and when. I've been given several suggestions as to a theme, not sure whether to restrict it to something or give free reign, any suggestions are welcome. Feel free to "voice" them here.

Last edited:

ericw95

I like the idea of putting some restrictions around it. Although it is nice to see some of the works of art that are produced, I would feel bad if I received a segmented or scrollsaw masterpiece on a Gent if I sent a Sierra or even a slimline that I was proud to produce. I don't think anyone in the community ever wants to feel like they took advantage of another member. I am not saying excluding segmenting is a bad thing but it is just a random answer.

ldb2000

Eric , I don't think it matters what kind of pen you send out , as long as it's the best work you can do . If all you have ever made is B2B slimlines or Sierras or whatevers , just put your best effort into it and it will be cherished as much as an Emperor or fancy scrolled blank pen would be . It's not the type of pen , it's the love that goes into it .
Anyone who enters a PITH should be going in expecting to get a sample of someones best abilities not an expensive pen .
I say NO restrictions .

pssherman

I agree with Butch, I cherish each pen that I have received in the past. Not because it was expensive or a work of art, but because it was made for me by someone else.

As for a theme, it would be nice as long as its was not so challenging that our beginners would be scared off.
Beginners: do not be afraid to participate in any pen exchange or PITH, there is joy in receiveing a pen no matter what the skill level is of the penturner who made it.

Buzzzz4

I agree with Butch, I cherish each pen that I have received in the past. Not because it was expensive or a work of art, but because it was made for me by someone else.

As for a theme, it would be nice as long as its was not so challenging that our beginners would be scared off.
Beginners: do not be afraid to participate in any pen exchange or PITH, there is joy in receiveing a pen no matter what the skill level is of the penturner who made it.

Thank you, I was wondering if a semi-newbie/newbie would be welcome in such an exchange.

snyiper

Im a bit nervous to say the least, been working on turning pens for about 3 weeks. I am still mastering most of the skills and doing it on slims. I am in no way close to some of the work on here, although Im sure I have double the time in...lol. I would hate to see someone get a pen from me and laugh although critisim is fine. I just dont want to short change anyone. Now make it a ugly pen swap then Im all in!!!!

Rollerbob

Landon, first of all, thanks for taking this on. I missed last years so for sure I'm in!! As for a a theme, mox nix to me!! Glenn, I have been given a few pens from members of this site. No matter the quality of work, I know that every one I have received were given in a loving spirit.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Although I prefer direct swaps to PITH's, I have to say that I love every pen that I've ever exchanged ( PITH or swap ). I think I have about 15 pens from folks ranging from absolute beginners to seasoned pro's from all around the world.
My only thoughts are; Don't sign up if you can't ( or won't :mad: )deliver!!.
I know some good folks that no longer participate in these cos they are still waiting for swaps from years ago.

Can't wait for it to start:biggrin: Can we put our name down more than once?

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
If people say it's a good idea, I'll jump on the bandwagon.

But .. what is a PITH? I think I've seen the term before, but I have no idea
what it is.

Is this something you 'take' after drinking too much coffee?
Is it the way you get when you've gone beyond getting a little miffed?
(ie. "I'm so PITHED off right now.." )
Does it have to do with alcohol comsumption?
(ie. "he got totally PITHED and threw up all over his date" )

Enquiring minds want to know.

bitshird

Thank you, I was wondering if a semi-newbie/newbie would be welcome in such an exchange.

Of course they will, I also don't so much like the idea of having any restrictions as to wood or kit, we are all better at some things than others, so lift up the basket and let your light shine !!!

Rollerbob

If people say it's a good idea, I'll jump on the bandwagon.

But .. what is a PITH? I think I've seen the term before, but I have no idea
what it is.

Is this something you 'take' after drinking too much coffee?
Is it the way you get when you've gone beyond getting a little miffed?
(ie. "I'm so PITHED off right now.." )
Does it have to do with alcohol comsumption?
(ie. "he got totally PITHED and threw up all over his date" )

Enquiring minds want to know.
Type of helmet worn to avoid incoming shrapnel!! "Pen In The Hat" Your name is drawn out of a hat. You get the pen from person above you. Help ya any?

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Type of helmet worn to avoid incoming shrapnel!!

Ah.. I just thought those English guys talked with a lisp..

Rollerbob;919496 "[COLOR=red said:
P[/COLOR]en In The Hat" Your name is drawn out of a hat. You get the pen from person above you. Help ya any?

Yeah. Seems obvious now.. I just never knew what it was..

hey, I'm in!

bitshird

Landon, If memory serves me correctly there were a few folk that didn't honor their commitment, I believe there was a list of those people and I think they should not be allowed to participate in the PITH, for the life of me I cant remember who ran the last one.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I'm a big fan of the direct-swap method too - be nice to see us switch it up occasionally and try that format again too - although PITH is fine too!

But I agree with the Rat - I prefer direct swap.

Sounds like a PITH would be a success - might as well go for it and those who can't participate right now can get in next time!

Andrew

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Landon, If memory serves me correctly there were a few folk that didn't honor their commitment, I believe there was a list of those people and I think they should not be allowed to participate in the PITH, for the life of me I cant remember who ran the last one.
Pretty sure I can get that covered. :wink:

byounghusband

Here's the way I see it..... There are some very good pen turners and there are the rest of us.

Guess what?? We're all penturners and we're all here for the friendship, the learning and the fun.
Don't sweat it if you think others are better than yourself. We are all our own worst critics and you aren't gonna get any better if you don't challenge yourself.

And I guarentee you that any pen you make specifically for another member of this site will be received like the treasure it is. So get involved in this event and you will see how good it is!!!

HSTurning

Im a bit nervous to say the least, been working on turning pens for about 3 weeks. I am still mastering most of the skills and doing it on slims. I am in no way close to some of the work on here, although Im sure I have double the time in...lol. I would hate to see someone get a pen from me and laugh although critisim is fine. I just dont want to short change anyone. Now make it a ugly pen swap then Im all in!!!!

A member asked for a pen in exchange for a box of would. He did now have the time due to an order he was working on. Neil (wolftat) posted pics of the pens he sent out. I dont know if I would ever be able to make pens that good. He posted them before I had a chance to make the pens I sent. I sent the best pens I was able to make and was proud of them. 2 pens didnt make the cut and I didnt send them. Just make something you are proud of and send it off.

MarkHix

I love these! Either format is fine. I was afraid on my first one but did it anyway. I have the pens I have received sitting out where I see them. They are each special.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Thanks for the comments, I am inclined to say we will be going forward with this. At that time I will start the appropriate thread for the "official" sign up so stay current and check back often to be sure you get on the right list when it is an official event. I will get some guidlines established and do my best to ensure a fun and exciting event. Again, I realize the concerns of those who have them are justified but lets try and remember the good and not focus on the bad. Thanks and stay tuned............

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Eric , I don't think it matters what kind of pen you send out , as long as it's the best work you can do . If all you have ever made is B2B slimlines or Sierras or whatevers , just put your best effort into it and it will be cherished as much as an Emperor or fancy scrolled blank pen would be . It's not the type of pen , it's the love that goes into it .
Anyone who enters a PITH should be going in expecting to get a sample of someones best abilities not an expensive pen .
I say NO restrictions .

What he said!

Top Bottom