Needing wood blank storage ideas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pdporter12

I have a lot of pen and call blanks that I need out of the boxes and up off the floor. How do you store your wood blanks? Have you made a cabinet or ????? Pics would be awesome so I can get some ideas. Thanks so much!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Welcome to IAP, Patrick. I think you will find this site extremely helpful.

Great post, looking forward to the responses it brings.

As of now I keep mine in a filing cabinet I found at a yard sale. I don't recommend it as its hard to find the blank you are looking for. At a shop I used to turn at we had a filing cabinet full of blanks that we alphabetized every couple of months and that method worked alright.

Last edited:

cowchaser

build a woodend box frame and dado for horizontal shelves. Then you can dado the shelves for vertical spacers if you want to seperate by species. From there just get some pegboard or whatever about the same thickness and you remove the spacers as needed or put in a spacer as needed. I believe mine is about 48x48 or so.

When it all is said and done it looks like shoe storage like post above, but more stable if you 3/4" for the frame and shelves.

TowMater

I picked up a bunch of 6" wide by 5' long wire shelves from a place going out of business. I'd post a pic but I'm a bit embarassed of all the stock I've accumulated in only about a year of doing this.

Rick_G

I bought one of those white melamine laundry room cabinets (wall mount) from walmart for $29 on sale. Added a couple extra shelves and dividers and viola blank storage cabinet.

NC_Horn

I built a cabinet using plans from Shop Notes #59. As you can see, it is the stand for my lathe. Love the cabinet and plan on building others for other areas of the shop.

Duane

Attachments

• P1070091.jpg
    P1070091.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 231
  • P1070094.jpg
    P1070094.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 273
  • P1070093.jpg
    P1070093.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 258

arioux

Hi,

Here is my storage. Made it with MDF. The 3 large vertical divider have holes every 1/2 inches to be able to adjust the hight of the horizontal shelves. The small vertical divider have felt on top and bottom side so i can just skeeze them in to adjust the size as my blanks stock change. Can send you close up photo if you want.

Attachments

• storage.jpg
    storage.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 345
I have 4 steel parts drawer bins that were acquired when the company with which I was employed closed their warehouse/repair facility. The shelf units are 2 sizes--2 have 18 drawers measuring 4" x 5" x 11" (one of these units holds all of my pen kits); and 2 have 24 drawers which measure 4" x 5" x 16". These units are absolutely excellent for blank storage and organization--the longer drawers can each house 3 different species, utilizing the steel slide-in partitions to segregate the sections for each variety. Unfortunately, this system would be pretty cost-prohibitive for the average guy. I believe the units cost between $250 and $400 each, depending on the size. But as I said, they were free to me, along with 3 steel shelving units to place them on; only using one of these at present.

Firefyter-emt

Here are mine, however I do like arioux's and ElMostro's set ups too. I have often debated making a new one from wood as the cubbies on mine are slightly on the large size. I picked these up at Wal-Mart for like a buck each.

1229081.jpg

GoodTurns

metal shelf from BJ's..plastic shoeboxes from AC Moore hobby shop...total about $100 (and this is as neat as it gets :wink:)

Last edited:

arioux

Here are mine, however I do like arioux's and ElMostro's set ups too. I have often debated making a new one from wood as the cubbies on mine are slightly on the large size. I picked these up at Wal-Mart for like a buck each.

1229081.jpg

I use to have these. If you slide dowels all the way thru the holes on the side, it's like having shelves and you could double your number of bins :).

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
This is the first plan I had. Holds about 48 different species (I've added some since this photo). Lowe's. I now have a rack of hymn book holders salvaged from my church (music guy hasn't missed them yet) with a wire rack from Sam's. I'll try to get a photo and post it.

edit: Here are the photos of the hymn book rack holders.

Attachments

• IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 305
  • 100_0801.jpg
    100_0801.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 332
  • 100_0802.jpg
    100_0802.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:

Nolan

Here is how I store them at home in my blank office. Can store a modest amount in it. Each tray will hold 100-150 pen blanks depending on if they are 3/4 or 7/8. I picked it up a Granger for 100 or so bucks if I recall correctly. BTW it is the metal shelfing setup on the right, the plastic tray one on the left is my "personal blank" storage.

DSCN5439.jpg

Last edited:

SherryD

many of you have jsut to much free time on your hands (smile) What a variety of storage being used here. I think I will incorporate some of each, sort of the best of the best approach.

erbymcbrayer

I found someone replacing kitchen cabinets, Got the wall cabinets to just haul them off. Hung them on the wall and put extra shelves in between the existing ones, This worked for me really well and gave me plenty of storage.

GoodTurns

Here is how I store them at home in my blank office. Can store a modest amount in it. Each tray will hold 100-150 pen blanks depending on if they are 3/4 or 7/8. I picked it up a Granger for 100 or so bucks if I recall correctly. BTW it is the metal shelfing setup on the right, the plastic tray one on the left is my "personal blank" storage.

again with the taunt..."I sell you fanstastic blanks, but I keep the best" grrrrrrr to you, Nolan! but please keep me on your preferred customer list!!!!!!!:wink:

rherrell

Here's mine.....
1_14.jpg

Cardboard boxes are the same size as those yellow plastic ones but ALOT cheaper. All blanks are visible and the name is right on the front.

rherrell

The shelves are that particle board stuff covered with Formica from Lowes. It comes in 12" X 96" lengths. I screwed some 2X2 wood to the wall and drilled 7/8" holes for 1/2" conduit in them and laid the shelves on the conduit. The boxes are here.......http://tinyurl.com/9a26u7 , you have to buy 50 at a time but they're only $.52 each. I forgot what the shipping was.

Top Bottom