Need Help or Advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OldWrangler

This is a topic a little strange for a pen turning group but I know I can get help here. I have to change out the cutter blade on my Delta 12 1/2" thickness planer. I have misplaced the instruction manual and really don't want to guess how to do this. Can anyone give me a simple tutorial? Do I need a height setter for this job and should it be magnetic?

I think I see how it must be done but I understand there are springs behind the blade that pop out and get lost. Your help will be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I have the Delta 22-540 12-1/2" planer. It requires a gauge to set the cutter height. If yours is the same, give me a shout.

OldWrangler

I have the Delta 22-540 12-1/2" planer. It requires a gauge to set the cutter height. If yours is the same, give me a shout.

Hi Mannie,

This is the model I have. Any directions for changing blades will be appreciated. If you can send a copy of that section of an owners manual that would be great. What kind of guage do I need and where would I find online? Is it magnetic?

My email is kbnorris@igc.org

George

MobilMan

George, there are other ways to set the blades. Dial indicator. Earth magnets, Straight edge. Should be able to find a lot on this on the web. Those magnet gauges are pretty expensive.

OldWrangler

Well Guys, as usual I created a mountain where there was only a molehill. I was worried about tackling the job as a fellow woodworker had told me how hard it was to change blades. He said it was a nightmare that shouldn't be tackled by anyone less than an MIT engineer. But yesterday I took a more serious look with better light and puttered a bit. Turns out that it is really pretty simple except for the small springs under the hold down bar. They will easily get away if given the chance. I did get the bar loosened enough to get the cutter out with a dental pick tool. The blade can be reversed and flipped over and re-installed since both sides are sharp. The blade has a indexing slot that fits over a pin and aligns the blade to the right position. Half an hour and it's done....and it does work.

Thanks to all that answered and helped. I am back in business again. Today is clean-up day. The 3-4" of sawdust needs to go and the benched all need blowing off. A few spider webs need to come down and a lot of tools need to find their homes.

Thanks to all that answered and helped. I am back in business again. Today is clean-up day. The 3-4" of sawdust needs to go and the benched all need blowing off. A few spider webs need to come down and a lot of tools need to find their homes.

3 or 4 inches of sawdust... obviously you have been slacking lately... I shoveled the sawdust out from under my lathe the other day, took 3 trips with about a 10 gallon tub to haul it all out to the garden area where I'm laying a base of sawdust mulch.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Hi Mannie,

This is the model I have. Any directions for changing blades will be appreciated. If you can send a copy of that section of an owners manual that would be great. What kind of guage do I need and where would I find online? Is it magnetic?

My email is kbnorris@igc.org

George

George, somehow I missed this post yesterday. Sorry. At least you got it done.

Top Bottom