Tailstock slippage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

If my memory serves me well and sometimes I have to question that, but there was a conversation about the tailstock slipping on some lathes such as the Jet 1014. My is starting to do this and yes I can crank down harder on the lever but not sure that is the answer. I have cleaned all the undercarriage and the ways. Thought I read about some people buying an aftermarket square nut. Is there a link to this postings or if you have had this and ordered the nut did it work and are you happy with it??? Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Hi John,

The best solution is the one mentioned above, tightening the nut. If that works, it is the best solution because it's free, easy, and almost instantaneous! But, if it doesn't work, there are other solutions. The problem of the creeping tailstock has been around forever. It was there on my first Jet mini, and is there to a lesser extent on my current Jet mini VS. A friend of mine decided to make a bunch of square plates to go on the underside of the ways, to replace the round one that comes with the lathe. I bought one, and it works. I have not kept in touch with him, so I don't know if he still does that. His name is Keith Outten. At that time he ran the Sawmill Creek forum - not even sure he still does that either. I know, what kind of friend am I? ;-)

One thing you could try is remove the round plate - it almost looks like a washer - and glue a thin rubber pad to the side that would come in contact with the underside of the lathe bed. I have no idea if this would really work, but I also don't see why it wouldn't, either. And again, it's cheap and easy; and the worst thing that would happen is it won't work, in which case you'd still need to get that other part.

But I'd try tightening the nut first. If that works, you've got it made!

Scott.

jcollazo

Thought I read about some people buying an aftermarket square nut. Is there a link to this postings or if you have had this and ordered the nut did it work and are you happy with it??? Thanks in advance.

I make the upgrade clamps for the Delta, Jet, Rikon and Pioneer mini lathes.
The link is here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35218

Tightening the nut can help, but the real problem is the amount of clamping area on the round washers versus the square clamp plates. More surface area equates to less effort (pressure) on the lever.

Of course, I'm biased but that's my story and I'm sticking to it:cool:

Randy_

Interesting point for folks to ponder.........

I have been chatting with one of the technicians at JET about Massimo's lathe problem and I just happened to ask him about redesigning the clamp on the JET tailstock. His response is that he handles approximately 100 calls per day and calls about TS creep are so few and far between as to be inconsequential. Since it seems to be a problem of significance here, I'm sort of puzzled by the apparent difference in perception between them and us??

I also asked him why JET couldn't design a replaceable tip for their live center that had a 60° angle so that all of us pencrafters would not have to go out and invest another $20 - $50 for an after market live center for our lathes. He is researching both questions and promised to have an answer for me shortly.

Randy_

.....A friend of mine decided to make a bunch of square plates to go on the underside of the ways, to replace the round one that comes with the lathe. I bought one, and it works. I have not kept in touch with him, so I don't know if he still does that. His name is Keith Outten. At that time he ran the Sawmill Creek forum - not even sure he still does that either.....

Keith quit making those a long time ago. He just ran out of time. Far as I know, Keith was the first to have this idea; but Joe has improved upon it in two ways. Joe used aluminum rather than steel and that gives a better grip as the aluminum is a little softer than steel and should better grip the underside of the ways. Joe also threads the hole in the clamp block so it is directly connected to the clamping bolt. There are benefits to this design that the original JET design does not have.

Scott

Thanks guys!

I'm glad you're making these, Joe! It is all about surface area! The old one I have is pretty crude, but it works. I bet yours are much nicer!

Yes, Keith was almost out of time back then, and that was years ago. He also had a design for a great tool rest I helped him acquire from the designer, and I don't think he ever got a chance to make any of those at all. Too bad, but he's more than made up for it in what he has done! (Freedom Pens)

As far as Jet knowing they need to make these changes, it's all about the numbers. When enough people complain, it pops up on their radar. Until then it doesn't exist. But it does leave a market opening for enterprising people like Joe!

Scott.

jttheclockman

While I am in the spending mood where can I get one of those 60 degree live centers???? If I recall they were used for bushingless pen blank turning????

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
His response is that he handles approximately 100 calls per day and calls about TS creep are so few and far between as to be inconsequential. Since it seems to be a problem of significance here, I'm sort of puzzled by the apparent difference in perception between them and us??

Having worked tech support for years, I know that having a known problem and admitting to a known problem are two different things.

Admitting that there is a problem means you have to have a solution NOW.
Once one person knows you admitted it, word spreads like wildfire, and you'll be overwhelmed with requests to fix it, even from people who have never experienced the problem themselves.

Tech support reps don't hold the purse strings, so they are told what they can and cannot say about issues like this. It doesn't mean that they aren't logging every complaint in the computer, chances are that they are building a database of affected machines (it could be something that affects only certain serial numbers, for instance .. particular production runs, outsources parts etc..) and when a fix is released, the info gets sent to all the registered machines, parts sent out to those under warranty, and discounts offered to those who have the problem on record.

The rest of us can pay retail for the 'upgrade' :rolleyes:

jttheclockman

Rob

I think your answer was to me about where to find or get a 60 degree live center??? Do you have a link. Sorry about that.

Top Bottom