Full Review The Elegant Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy Simmons

This review is regarding the elegant sierra kit from exoticblanks.com

I believe that this is a Berea kit. I don't know of ANY pen making supply that doesn't sell their own version of the sierra, but this kit is certainly unique. It uses the same drill size as the sierra and the same bushings, but the look is something all its own.

The elegant sierra is about 8 dollars. This is exotics prices and does not include bulk discounts. You will also need a 27/64 drill bit and a set of bushings, ~10 dollar one-time expense.

This kit is available in chrome plating and brushed nickel plating. I am partial to the more matte finish, as it is easier to clean and does not show scratches as easily.

Assembling this kit is fairly easy. It may be a bit confusing the first time. The front body section screws onto the twist mechanism. The twist mechanism actually fits over the parker refill, keep that in mind. The tube fits over the front section tightly, but it does not "press" in! Don't try that ;) The back section, however, does press into the back of the tube, which provides the grip necessary to twist the pen.

This pen has a relatively short tube, allowing you to easily get two pens from one five inch blank.

This pen is one of my favorites for a ballpoint. The brushed nickel finish feels smooth in your fingers, and the bright chrome clip adds a nice bit of flair. The lower accent band has a very intricate, almost floral, pattern with a black background which adds a nice visual breakup of the pen. Overall, the pen has a clean line and a very sexy feel that all your customers will love.

This pen goes well with colored burl woods and acrylics. I have not had much success with tru-stone, and carbon fiber may look a little too manly.

For an 8 dollar pen, it is certainly a favorite. I can usually sell them for around sixty dollars, again, depending on the materials I use. I will definitely be making more!!

I give this pen a 9/10

Attachments

• Green pen.jpg
    Green pen.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 579
Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

curlyjoe

Randy,

Great Review! The are nice kits to make.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe S.

I love these kits too! My problem with the normal Sierra style is nobody likes all the "black plastic", but these kits are sold out before most people get to see them!

043Turning

I love these kits too! My problem with the normal Sierra style is nobody likes all the "black plastic", but these kits are sold out before most people get to see them!

Joe I hear what you are saying about the "black plastic" and as many people are in the same mind as you.

****Mod's Please remove if you feel this thread is Hi-Jacked****

We have asked our supplier to ensure that not only is the grip section is separate to the tip section, to allow for modification of the kit (ie the addition of a timber or acrylic grip section will really enhances the kit and create a truly personalised touch.)

we have also asked for every piece to be replaceable... the centre band is seperate, the end cap, and even the twist Mech comes in two sections..

Attachments

• Zodiac_part_1.jpg
    Zodiac_part_1.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 295

CaRed

I love the looks of the kit. I made one with copper braiding and the copper kit. It may be the copper plating but it did not wear well. The nib section showed scratches easily and the clip ring wore off all the copper. I have a desk job and the pen was on my desk or in my pocket for the better part of 2 years. I am realistic. I didn't expect it to be in pristine shape but I was not impressed with the wear.

Still love the looks of the kit though.

Randy Simmons

I love the looks of the kit. I made one with copper braiding and the copper kit. It may be the copper plating but it did not wear well. The nib section showed scratches easily and the clip ring wore off all the copper. I have a desk job and the pen was on my desk or in my pocket for the better part of 2 years. I am realistic. I didn't expect it to be in pristine shape but I was not impressed with the wear.

Still love the looks of the kit though.

Had no idea this kit came in copper

Where'd you get it?

Whaler

The Elegant Sierra is one of my most popular pens.
You can find other finishes from both Arizona Silhouette and Bear Tooth Woods.

Top Bottom