Next get together

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JAB1

Got the Go Ahead

Ok boys.....I just got the go ahead from Curtis....we are a GO for Sat, May 15 at Curtis' place. This time, we will do an all day BBQ and get-together. We will begin at 0900 and go until either we pass out or Sunday am, whichever comes first. As usual, Curtis and his hospitality comes through. He is making his place available for an overnight stay, if needed. If you want to park a RV or camper for Sat PM, plan on it, but expect him to preach a sermon on Sunday am.

Curtis will provide the BBQ pit/ cooker and we all need to bring supplies. I will bring a very large brisket and trimmings. We need volunteers for sausage, chicken, beans, sauce, pickles, onions, potato salad, bread, etc... We all need to bring LOTS OF BEER. BYOB, even though I will be bringing some of my home brew. We will begin around 0900, put on the meat, and have show and tell, and a class or two or three, followed by lunch. Then, for the rest of the day, we will drink beer, have another demo or two, drink more beer and chase the moon around.

I need volunteers for demos, also. If there is something you want to teach or show, let me know and we will schedule you in.

Do ya'll want to do another mini swap meet?

So far, Curtis has volunteered to do 2 demos: 1) his famous CA glue finish 2) turning a small bowl......I need someone to volunteer to bring a video camera and record his demos for use in the IAP library......let me know if you can film him in action.

I will do a SAFETY demo....you know, me the safety man....

OK, that's it for now.....please respond ASAP with the items you will bring and whether or not you want to do a demo. We need a head count quickly....Allan

el_d

Alan put me down for another Brisket if needed. I can bring it cooked. If not I can swing some Beans and Rice. Either way I will have to butter up the wife to do us some cooking.

Also Curtis if you need help getting ready let me know I can push a broom and slop a mop with the best of them.......:wink:

alamocdc

I'll bring some chicken leg quarters and I've got a big jar of dill pickle slices.

Mannie, I can't speak for the group, but I have no problem with spouses attending.

JAB1

Spouses

I doubt Curtis would have a problem with spouses attending, but we better check with him....

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I don't want no wives here at my shop! They might conspire with my wife and tell her what I actually have in my shop!

Just kidding! Spouses are more than welcome. I would rather not have a bunch of kids running around my shop due to the inherent dangers and my liability but I am not going to say no kids either. If you have kids you want/need to bring along, use your best judgement and go from there. If anyone wants to bring an RV or travel trailer and stay the night, please let me know. If you prefer an RV park (or even a motel), let me know and I will help with making the arrangements if you need it. There is an RV park about 3 miles from here and many motels in San Marcos.

JAB1

Monty......looks like your wife is welcome.....might even bring mine....do you want to do a demo?.....bring your glues, etc.....

ElMostro

I'm in. I can bring a pork shoulder (around 10 pounds, already cooked Puertorican style) and....OK...Jab's twisting my arm...beer. Let me know if you'll need anything else.

Eugene

Last edited:

ElMostro

How about free blanks??
Tom

Sure, how about this?
Every IAP member that comes to the GTG AND RSVPs to Allan (JAB1) no later than Monday 10 May gets a FREE Amalgam-Mutt. Must come to the GTG and MUST RSVP to Allen, those are the rules. To make it fair, the blanks will be numbered and participants will draw numbers from a hat.

How's that?
Eugene

Last edited:

el_d

Sure, how about this?
Every IAP member that comes to the GTG AND RSVPs to Allan (JAB1) no later than Monday 10 May gets a FREE Amalgam-Mutt. Must come to the GTG and MUST RSVP to Allen, those are the rules. To make it fair, the blanks will be numbered and participants will draw numbers from a hat.

How's that?
Eugene

You the man Eugene!!!!

Allan IM RSVP'ing

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Hey, I'll match Eugene's offer with the same rules except you will be able to choose your color of "Original Cactus Blank"™! Anyone else want to sweeten the pot with more goodies??

mrburls

I'm going to check to be sure I can get off that day (usually I work Saturdays). I can bring a pot of sausage with peppers and onions in sauce, along with some rolls.

Keith "mrburls"

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I'll be there along with my better half (does this mean I get twice the number of blanks ??? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:). I'll probably bring a dessert.

JAB1

GTG

Ok...this is looking good , so far..... I have tried to notify everyone on the list I know of for our group....if some of you know of others, please let them know about the event.

I am definitely RSVPing to both offers....I like free blanks....

Glad to see the food donations coming in.....I am compiling a list and will put the list out periodically....

This will be a fun event!

I still need offers for demos and classes....

In addition to my safety demo, I will do one on the proper way to SIP good beer....

JAB1

Something else

Do ya'll want to do the swap meet or bring some of your old shop junk to sell or give away?

Also, plan to bring 3 NICE blanks...upper end blanks. I don't mean your best stuff necessarily, but decent blanks, something that any of us would be proud to use.(Curtis and Eugene can be exempt if they want due to their generosity with the other deal they are doing for us....) You will draw a name out of a hat, and swap that person your 3 blanks for theirs.

Do not forget to bring your good stuff to show and tell and drool over !!!

Last edited:

chuybregts

Wow, how exciting! I'm rsvping not sure what to bring. As the day gets closer if we need anything in particular, I'd be more than happy to bring it. Additionally there is a very high chance my wife will come too!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
One thing that no one has offered to bring that seem to always get forgotten on things like this is plates, cups, and napkins. Anyone want to volunteer to bring those? Also, I prefer Miller Lite! :)

Verne

Don't know where to RSVP for the entry for the "free" blanks, so this will be site two. As previously noted by many, closer to the event I'll bring whatever needs bringing.
Vern

JAB1

Yuk....Miller Lite

Curtis .....no friend of mine drinks Miller Lite....ha, ha, ha.....I will bring you some real beer to drink....Allan

dow

Allan, what kind of beer are you making? I used to brew my own. Great stuff. You can make better beer than you can buy and make it cheaper than you can buy beer.

JAB1

I make mostly lagers, ales. I keep a keg of "Texas Blond Ale" as my staple....I usually have another keg of an amber ale or lager.....I am making Optimator this weekend...will bring some of each to our event.....yum, yum

jedgerton

Planning to be there

I'm planning to be there so here is my RSVP! I'll check in closer to the event to see what is needed. For now, I'll plan on bringing a desert (possibly a Dutch oven cobbler).

John

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Alan, Can you brew up something that is lite in flavor? I hate dark beer and think Shiner Bock sucks big time! I am not a big beer connoisseur and prefer my beer to be very mild! Now, for those who plan to say later than the rest, there may be some Crown and Coke available! That, of course, would mean you have to plan to spend the night since we certainly won't let anyone leave who is "under the influence"!

JAB1

I will do a special batch just for you. You wimps that do not do real beer deserve to drink water instead. All joking aside, I will do a batch of Texas Blonde Ale that you will like. It is a light bodied ale, pale yellow color, lightly hoppy. Just for you as the host of our gettogether!

JAB1

Demos

I still do not have anyone but Curtis and myself volunteer to do DEMOS. We need some of ya'll to teach a class. Now I know some of you have talents that you are willing to share with all of us. I would hate for us to have to listen to Curtis all day long.............

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
If I can talk Curtis out of a chunk of mesquite about 2X2X6, I'll do a demo on how quick and simple it is to make a 4 in 1 screwdriver.
And/or how to make a cartridge pen with a 30 cal nib.

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I imagine I have a little to spare!

Also, if anyone is interested, I can do a demo on sawing logs on my sawmill. Not directly pen related but fun and interesting nonetheless. Also, if anyone has some logs they want sawed, bring them and we can cut them up. Contact me for minimum size before bringing them, though.

Top Bottom