Hello From Upper East TN

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tnfishdaddy

Just wanted to drop in and introduce myself and ask a couple if questions. I am a 49 year old father of two teenage boys. They keep me busy running to ball games and practices.
I recently picked up most of my dad's old tools. He is getting up there in age and battling cancer and just doesn't get to his workshop anymore. Add to the fact that his shop was recently flooded from hurricane Matthew. He called me and said come get the tools.
One of the tools that I picked up was an old Craftsman lathe. I do not remember ever seeing my dad use it growing up. He said that he and hisdad bought it together used. I am trying to find out if it can be used to turn pens. I am slowly fixing a one car garage into my shop. Because of this, the lathe and motor are in a shed out behind the house. I took a few pictures of everything and figured some of you may be able to tell me what's what. I am completely clueless.

20161125_093149.jpg

20161125_093101.jpg

20161125_093052.jpg

20161119_175910.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomtedesco

With some cleaning, lubing, and determining your taper it should do well for pens. Welcome from Colorado.

Last edited:

magpens

Welcome to IAP, Jeff !!!!! . Looks like you should be able to use that stuff, but it will take a little getting used to it.

tomtedesco

With some cleaning, lubing, and determining your taper it should do well for pens. Welcome from Colorado.

How do I determine taper?

The taper refers to the inside angle for your tail and head stock. If you take out the drive center from the headstock you should be able to match it up with the correct mandrel for turning pens on your lathe. Taper is designated as Morse #1, #2, or #3.

Welcome from Oklahoma, Jeff.

Looking at the lathe and following Mike's link from above and delving into it a ways. It looks like this was a Craftsman Companion 9" lathe produce from 1935-1936. I found some pictures of it from a company over in the U.K. if you follow the link below, you'll see it about 2/3rds way down the page, under the header of Craftsman, Companion and Dunlap, Wood-turning lathes 1933-1943.

Craftsman, Companion, Dunlap Wood Lathes 1920s to 1960s

It appears that it takes a #1 Morse Taper. I'm still pretty new to all of this myself, but I do enjoy looking at the old lathes, so take it with a grain of salt that this is 100 percent the lathe that you have, but from what I can tell from your pictures and theirs, they appear to be the same.

Hope this helps a little bit,
David

Top Bottom