The rumors are true!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
Ernie's (EBorraga ) post late yesterday about me was all too true. Ernie's post found at: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f78/prayers-needed-99557/

While at a show in Bloomington Indiana just this past Saturday morning I started to feel really bad. Having a kidney transplant in '03 my first thought was about some issue with it. But unlike other recent ailments concerning the new kidney, this was different. Cold clammy sweat, not unusual for me, but it was 90+ degrees outside and raining! Then I started shaking and had a bad case of indigestion. Time to wrap up the show I told my wife of 38 years, just the day before and on Friday July 13Th! My wife Lois had to drive us the 45 miles to our house where I went in and literally fell on the bed to rest. Got home about 3pm.

The pain was increasing, the cold clammy sweating didn't go away. By the time I stopped procrastinating it was now 9pm. I told my wife something had to change and quickly. At this time I felt much worse than when my kidneys failed 9 years prior. Limping into the local hospital about 10pm they took one look at me and could tell. They packed me in a wheel chair and whisked me through the emergency room doors and into my own room. Blood drawn, name bands glued to my wrist and apparently a bunch of other things I cannot remember now. Next thing I do remember is being on some very cold metal gurney or bench like thing with not near enough clothes on and some doctor asking me questions. They had this pipe like thing going into my wrist. My wrist tied to my side with a strap. And people holding onto me so I could not move. They were trying to unblock an artery into the lower part of my heart. They told me later that it took about 2 hours to work through about a 1" length of artery using an assortment very small tools and balloons. 100 percent blockage they told me. Out of the operating room after 4 plus hours and into the ICU unit for another 12 hours.

I emailed Ernie through the iPhone early Sunday afternoon (I think). Told him where I was and why I could not answer the phone call me made me earlier. Maybe he made that call Saturday night(?).

All sorts of testing on me was done from 4am Sunday until 11am on Monday. Hospital was busy with a lot of heart related issues with others this weekend. So I had very little time to talk to a heart doctor or any other doctor until 4pm Monday when he told me I was much better and it was now time for me to go home. After it all he said that very little damage was done to my ticker. Trust me, my Guardian Angel was watching over me this weekend, that I truly believe!

Kicking an email back and forth to Ernie and others then talking to friends on the cell really helped me through this weekend! I appreciate all who replied on Ernie's post and to those that might post to this one. I'd like to thank Ernie. (Ernie keep making those great pen blanks man!) Thanks to you all on the IAP. And of course a hugh thanks to my wonderful wife who spent the entire 3-day elongated weekend by my side with little to no sleep at all.

It will take awhile to fully recover, they're telling me six weeks plus! Cardiac rehab and all, exercise, lose some more weight...the whole bit.

WARNING: Something going on? PLEASE, Do NOT procrastinate like I did! One more hour they told me and my wife would be making other arrangements!

God Bless and Y'all take care!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

Best of luck with the recovery process! I can't imagine how tough it is right now, but with the damage I've done to myself over the years, I won't be surprised if I find out firsthand. Hopefully this is the last time you have to deal with something of this magnitude.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Good to hear. I was afraid 1 day of me showing you how I cast blanks was to much to handle:wink:. Not many people can last 12 hours listening to some hillbilly talk about crazy stuff. Tell Lois hey for me, and get your rest dude!!

Miles42

Best of luck with the Cardiac Rehab program. Sounds like you have a great support group. Just follow orders and the recovery path should be a smooth one.

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
Ernie
Maybe I'm half Hillbilly myself, but I don't think you're too bad a guy. I don't care what that say! :) A good friend and very helpful. YOU can even teach someone like ME somthing! Mayby I shouldn't say this as I know you want to keep that "aura" out there that you're crazy and all....:biggrin:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Good to hear. I was afraid 1 day of me showing you how I cast blanks was to much to handle:wink:. Not many people can last 12 hours listening to some hillbilly talk about crazy stuff. Tell Lois hey for me, and get your rest dude!!

rej19

Randy, I just saw this post so sorry I hadn't responded earlier. I did read Ernies first post. Great things worked out the way they did for you. It certainly is an example and eye opener for the rest of us. Something good will come of it. Take it easy and we will see you soon!

Bowl Slinger

Glad that you are still above the grass. Im a firm believer that God takes us home when he needs us. Obviously you still have work on Earth left to do so take Tim McGraw's advice and " Live Like You Were Dying" appreciate every breath as a gift.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow Randy, I'm also just seeing this news.
Hopefully your are well on the road to full health by now.

Best regards

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I'm getting in on this late as well. Sorry to hear of the problem but glad to hear you're on the mend. Like Dave said, listen to the docs and take it slow.
WB

Top Bottom