Decal Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lpierce65

After Ron's demo at the meeting I dug out my decal sheets that I ordered some time ago. These instructions say spary the printed decal ( I have ink jet paper) spray with Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear High gloss spray 2 or 3 coats.. then after its applied to spray Krylon Crystal Clear Finishing spray.

I assume this is two different sprays ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

I "believe" I recall Ron mentioning that he sprayed the whole sheet after printing and before cutting up. This provided a protective coat over the decals.

Then additional coat(s) were applied after placing the decal on the pen body and letting it dry.

But I was watching about 3 things at the time (we had a lot going on!), so we better wait to hear from one of the others.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Ron sprayed the clear on after he printed, not before. I think if you sprayed on before it would not print very well.

lpierce65

I did not explain it well my instruction for my paper list two differnt type of spray one to spray the sheets before dipping in water then after applied and dried spray with what they call Krylon finish spray..?? we would use CA on pens but they are talking about say applying it on a mug on something.

rej19

Larry, I use 2 different sprays. The first is Tester Decal Bonder which is sprayed on the decal AFTER you have printed it and let dry. That will prevent the ink bleeding in the water and also adds a little strength to the decal. After that drys you soak the decal for 30-60 seconds, just enough time that it can slip on the backing. Don't wait to long or you will find your decal floating in the water and they are difficult sometimes to corral. Install the decal on your blank and let dry. Then spray the 2nd spray which is the clear acrylic spray, let it dry then apply you CA finish. What I said in my demo is I have read that some use the clear acrylic spray for both applications of spray. I don't know why it wouldn't work. I will try it when I run out of the decal bonder. Someone else here may comment that is what they do. Good luck!

jbostian

I have made some decal pens. When I make them I use Deft high gloss spray lacquer in a spray can. I use the Deft after printing the decal. I usually spray two coats on the decal paper. After I have applied the decal and it is completely dry I spray one coat of Deft. This has worked pretty well for me. I would think you could do the same using the Krylon Crystal Clear.

Jamie

Top Bottom