June Meeting???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reefboy1

I wouldn't mind seeing a demo of Art's pepper mills. I am planning some soon. I am working on a different project that I may be able to demo in a future meeting after if I get things worked out. Of course the demo would not have to be every meeting. But this wold be a good growth opportunity.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Larry,

Tough to do a live demo for a mill since it takes (me) along time to make/assemble one. But if folks are interested I can bring a mill in various stages to completion and show how it's assembled.

Art

ldubia

I wouldn't mind seeing a demo of Art's pepper mills. I am planning some soon. I am working on a different project that I may be able to demo in a future meeting after if I get things worked out. Of course the demo would not have to be every meeting. But this wold be a good growth opportunity.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Larry,

Tough to do a live demo for a mill since it takes (me) along time to make/assemble one. But if folks are interested I can bring a mill in various stages to completion and show how it's assembled.

Art

I didn't mean we had to do this this meeting. I was tossing out ideas. But I do like the various stages thing. That is a great idea.

Anybody else have any ideas?

kludge77

Well my box just exploded. It was both trilling and disappointing.

My own fault for trying to hollow 5 inches w a 1/2 scraper. Maybe a small shallow box....:)

ldubia

Well my box just exploded. It was both trilling and disappointing.

My own fault for trying to hollow 5 inches w a 1/2 scraper. Maybe a small shallow box....:)

Well now I don't feel so bad. Mine did that today. I had a very bad catch and KA-BLEWIE! [SP]. Back to the drawing board. We shall overcome!

On another note...

Cindy, how do you get the polymer clay to stick to the tubes when putting it on? Also how long to bake it? Tried my first and I had a hard time making it stay on the tube. Then when I baked it I gues it wasn't long enough because the center is a but soft ad won't sand out or finish.

nava1uni

Larry,
I sand the tube so that it is roughened and the clay sticks better. I don't put it on too thick and I set it on little bars made of aluminum foil. This helps it not flattened on one side. I set it in the middle of the toaster oven and bake it for only as long as the packaging states. If it is real thin then only 10-20 minutes. You have to let it cool completely. I usually leave it overnight. You should read Toni's post, it explains a lot. I have a couple of books on polymer clay that have lots of information. I will send you the titles in the next day or so.

ldubia

Hi everyone. Hope you all had a great Easter holiday. Mine is going to be tomorrow as Kathy had to work tonight. Hope everyone is well and enjoying themselves and the loved ones.

Dave_M

Thank you Larry. I've been nursing a bad cold and a bad tooth ache all day. Root canal scheduled for tomorrow. Livin' la Vida Loca I am. It's actually been a decent day all things considered. I found some nice bowl sized big leaf maple burl this afternoon and my HF dust collector rebuild is coming together nicely. My son Jonathan has been helping me with the dust collector rebuild. It's been good to see him interested in working with me instead of playing video games with his friends. Although I'll admit watching him use power tools scares me just a bit sometimes.

I hope you and Kathy have a great day together.

Dave.

Dave_M

Is there anyone who can't make it if we move the meeting to June 11th? I'd like to keep it on a date where there is maximum attendance and I know there are a few of us who can't make the

I'm getting juiced up for a root canal right now so I'll check back later today hopefully.

darcisowers

we definitely can't make it on the 11th; but to be honest, I'm not sure the earlier weekend is any better for us. So don't change the date on our account.

June's just a bad month for us.

Darci

reefboy1

I can't make it on the 11th :( and it's also looking like the 4th will be a challange. The last few weeks of school (especially with a high school senior) are busy.

Art

ldubia

I will be there on the the 11th. I will bring a table and a couple chairs. Anything else needed I can help with?

What's the menu to be, Dave?

Dave_M

OK lets call it official on the 11th. I still haven't had a chance to play much on the lathe. I did buy some nice big leaf maple burl bowl blanks to play with.

I'll probably burns some burgers or something on the BBQ. We have a little time to nail it down, but I'd like to keep it simple for the folks traveling to the Central Valley.

I will be there on the the 11th. I will bring a table and a couple chairs. Anything else needed I can help with?

What's the menu to be, Dave?

Dave_M

Hi All,
Time for me to focus some of my attention on our June gathering. Can we get an official head count for those who will be attending? That will help immensely with planning the menu and make sure tables, chairs, and other essentials are covered.

I still have yet to turn anything since December. Actually I did turn one pen a month or so ago. I have new tools, new wood, and not much time lately. My other passion is taking over the garage at the moment. I have a long motorcycle trip planned this summer and I'm pulling my bike a part for a little extra preventative maintenance. I'm hoping to finish that up this week so I can convert the garage back to a wood shop and let the wood chips fly.

Thanks,
Dave

ldubia

I'll be there with two chairs and a table. I'll also bring some some sort of dish. Not sure what yet.

Any birthdays for April, May, or June? I can look into a cake for it.

reefboy1

Unfortunately I cannot make the 11th (my daughters 18th birthday). I'll catch you guys at the next meeting.

Art

angboy

If anyone can use any plywood, please let me know. I have several pieces sitting around my shop that I'd like to get rid of, partly because I don't even have a saw that will cut them. I have one piece that is 31 1/4" by 48" by 5/8" and then three pieces that are 24" by 48 1/4" and I think are 3/4" thick, but may be whatever the next thinnest width is. One of those pieces has a cut that's 15 1/4" long, that runs parallel to the long side, about 6" over from the side, so that cut, which isn't straight, would need to be cut around, so there'd be some discard on this piece. If anyone could use them, I'd be happy to give them to someone, just to have them out of my way! Please let me know and I can put them in the back of my vehicle and bring them to the meeting.

Dave_M

Wow this month is flying by. I just finished getting the bike back in one piece Saturday afternoon so now I can turn the garage back into a wood shop. I actually had some time to clean up in there today.

To date, I count six attendees including myself. Hopefully we'll get a few more to make the trek to Clovis and hopefully the mild weather will continue. I'm short on tables & chairs, but think Ken said he has a couple 6 foot tables & chairs and Larry mentioned bringing a table & chairs as well. I have four folding chairs here and a few patio chairs so maybe a few more chairs and we should be set.

I've been swamped with all kinds of catch-up work from being down so long with the knee replacement & broken foot. Vehicle maintenance, house painting & tiling, yard work and the list goes on. I think to make it easy on myself I'm going to supply sandwich fixings for the menu. I'll supply an assortment of breads, lunch meats & cheeses, and the usual condiments. Please feel free to fill in the blanks to help round out our menu.

Thanks everyone!
Dave

More to come...

turn4fun

Connie and I won't be able to come to the meeting. We've got a new puppy that's too young and untrained to leave alone. We were planning (before the puppy) to drive to Clovis in our motorhome and spend Friday and Saturday nights there in a campground. We'll miss seeing everyone and are really looking forward to our next meeting. Have a great time.. Connie & Larry

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
Dave.. I live in Lockeford (near Lodi and Stockon) If I get back from holiday in Oregon in time I may show up at the meeting. Just let me know date. Is there pen turners that live in or near my area? Would like to talk shop eye to eye with them. Frank

Dave_M

Meeting date is June 11th. Hope you can make the trek down to our area. This is a very creative group. Every time we meet there is something new to see and interesting to learn.

Dave.. I live in Lockeford (near Lodi and Stockon) If I get back from holiday in Oregon in time I may show up at the meeting. Just let me know date. Is there pen turners that live in or near my area? Would like to talk shop eye to eye with them. Frank

ldubia

Meeting date is June 11th. Hope you can make the trek down to our area. This is a very creative group. Every time we meet there is something new to see and interesting to learn.

I second that thought. This group is really fun. We have people tat come down fom Sacramento area.

Dave_M

So what is the total count on attendees?

Reading back through this thread, I count 6 confirmations including myself. Frank, in Lockeford, is a possibility. Hope you can make it Frank. So far I have:

Cindy
Larry
Ken
Angela
Greg
Myself
Frank - Maybe

There is one local guy that I'm trying to get to come as well. I know he's very busy so probably not but I'm trying. He's turned pens for a number of years off and on. I'd like him to see some of the work from you all. You all do truly outstanding work and I think it would be nice for him to see something besides my stuff.

I sent PMs with my contact info. If anyone else needs my address, shoot me a PM and I'll get it out to you. My place should be easy to find and the streets are wide so there is plenty of parking around my house.

Top Bottom