January '10 Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

atsowers

Bill

I have plenty of maple for the HB360 demo.

One can use pen blanks to cut the pieces from, but I prefer to use larger flat stock (eg 4/4 stock) because I like to run it through my jointer and planer to mill the stock flat and square first. Pen blanks tend to be on the small side for these operations (at least in my book, and I beleive smaller than what is technically recommended by manufacterer of my tools). If the pen blanks are really "square" to begin with we could give it a shot. The worst thing that can happen is you'd potentially have some gaps between your pieces.

That said, I think Darci does have a chunk of purpleheart that she bought recently for a pen for her... we'll probably have some left over so she may not mind if we saw some up...

Andy

nava1uni

Let us know what food to bring. We all bring food, helps take the burden off everyone. I can also bring chairs if needed or a card table. I would like to do a herringbone blank. It will be nice to see everyone. Jay, I think I heard you coughing all the way over here. Looks like you are coming down with something, like turningitis and you must be near spinning wood or acrylic in order to heal.

darcisowers

Lunch list

Here's a list of attendees, and I'll edit to add what everyone is bringing to eat. Unless you like something special on your burger, we have the basic condiments already.

darcisowers: dessert (I'd rather be in charge of dessert than burgers!) HA!
atsowers: burger patties
avbill: potato salad
dangre:
tbroye:
gketell:
nava1uni: buns & fixin's
ldubia: mac salad

Last edited:

ldubia

Here's a list of attendees, and I'll edit to add what everyone is bringing to eat. Unless you like something special on your burger, we have the basic condiments already.

darcisowers: burger patties
atsowers: something other than the HB 360 pieces? :biggrin: maybe dessert
dangre:
cared:
tbroye:
gketell:
ldubia:

I can bring some mac salad if that is ok. I still need the address to know where to go. What time to be there to help if needed, etc. This will be my first meeting.

Thanks,
Larry

darcisowers

Larry, I sent you a PM with my address... we'd rather not post it on the forum...:eek: Let me know if you'd rather I email it to you (and your email addy).

you can come anytime after 10:30; not sure that much help is needed, but thanks for the offer. Do you want to do a Herringbone?

Mac salad is great. :)

Last edited:

CaRed

Doesn't it just figure. We are starting Saturday's starting with 01/23. I was really looking forward to meeting everyone. I will definately need to make the next one as long as it is after 04/15.

darcisowers

AACK - apparently it's highly contagious - just READING your message about it makes me all pen twitchy. :wink:

yeah, make Greg drive. :biggrin:

darcisowers

recap to the food list:

Unless you like something special on your burger, we have the basic condiments already.

darcisowers: dessert (I'd rather be in charge of dessert than burgers!) HA!
atsowers: burger patties
dangre:
tbroye:
gketell:
ldubia: mac salad
ratto: drinks
jaydevin: drinks

Last edited:

tbroye

Jay

You look like you have a fever and aches and pains. Dr Roye recommends you take January 23 off and spend time in the special atmosphere in San Jose CA.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
WooHooooo!!!!

Ken from Kallenshaan has REALLY come through for us. We will have lots of goodies for folks as door prizes!! Be sure to thank him profusely with copious purchasing! http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com

And I talked with Mike Cunningham who owns the Dublin WoodCraft store and he handed me a bunch of fliers with "15% off any one item" coupons. You want to be sure to go to their website and sign up for the email newsletter because they are having their anniversary sale in early February and there will be some sweet discounts being emailed out.
http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/store.aspx?id=521

GK

Last edited:

ldubia

I forgot to say that I am interested in doing an HB. Sounds like fun.

On another note, does anyone know of someone selling a full size VS lathe? I am in the market to buy soon.

Larry

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
It is from the 50s and 60s. It is a 12" x 39" lathe with a 16" gap bed. So you could do max 12" vases, 39" max spindles, and 16" bowls. For that, 1HP is probably plenty. It was variable speed originally using a reeves drive. But this one has been modified to also have the electronically variable speed motor.

I was seriously looking at them when I was looking for my "bigger lather". But I finally decided to buy the 3520 for its awesome capabilities vs price. Especially when ToolNut put it on sale!

We should probably start a different thread for this discussion. :wink:

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
You aren't afraid of a little rain, are you? I know you are sweet but I don't think you will melt! :biggrin:

Besides, according to weather.com Saturday is supposed to be "partly cloudy with a 20% chance of precipitation".

i hope that Darci has a big garage...

darcisowers

Our garage is "adequate" considering all the crap, I mean tools, Andy has in there. :eek:

I was thinking of revising the menu slightly - to BBQ sandwiches - so we won't have to grill - in the event that the 20% turns into 100. Any objections?

We're really looking forward to having everyone over.

Dave_M

I have a very busy schedule this week. If I don't get overrun and I have some energy left for the weekend, I'll make the trek to the bay area. Looking forward to it.

JayDevin

Sorry Gang,
Got Bad News.... I will not be able to make the shindig on saturday...
I am one of the Jetways trainers at work and I have been Sked for trainings on Saturday....The Company can be fined if folks are now signed off in a timely manner...

its a royal pain to try and re sked folks....
sorry.....

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I'm SOOO bummed!!

Be sure to teach them not to drive the jetway through the plane. I HATE it when that happens to my flight!

GK

nava1uni

It is only 2 more week days until Saturday. I will miss you Jay. Hope to see you in the not too distant future. I am okay with a change in the menu. I would even do just cold cuts for sandwiches. It is not the food, but the company. Yeah woodturners!!!

Dave_M

Same here Cindy.

Jay your personality and knowledge bring a lot to this group, but you need to take care of business first. We'll catch you on the next one.

Darci... as for the food, it doesn't make much difference to me. It's the people I meet and the information I absorb that draw me to hanging with y'all.

Top Bottom