Looking for BASH Critiques.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
The 2012 Birthday Bash is now in the books.

Landon and Curtis are stacking the folding chairs.

Jonathon and Ben are wiping down the tables.

Ed's checking prizes off a list as Dawn loads items on a truck which Chris and Chuck will drive out on deliveries.

Jeff is attempting to renegotiate next years rent.

Tom is just trying to get his library back in order.

Eric is over at a corner table writing feverishly in a notebook as if he is planning something ; as if he wants something more to do now that the BASH is over. I wonder what that is all about????:confused:

There were about 20 IAP members who helped plan and run the BASH. Some are bashful and don't want to be recognized. If I tried to name them all I would forget someone, so I won't try. But from me to everyone who worked on , participated in or donated to the BASH:

THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!​

The vendors that supported the BASH are the ones who make it possible to give away such fabulous prizes. Andrew never ceases to amaze me. He is the person who works with the vendors to get those prizes. Now it is our turn.

Please, when you are in need of supplies to feed you pen turning addiction, remember the vendors who came forward and supported the IAP not only for the Birthday Bash, but throughout the years.

WE NEED YOUR FEEDBACK!!

We would like to know what you thought went right with the BASH and what could have been done better. I see a lot of "It was a great BASH" posts, and I appreciate every one of them. But now I'm looking for something a little deeper so we can continue to build on our strengths and work to improve where we are weak.

What contests should we tweak or eliminate? If you have an idea for a contest please let us know.

What type of prizes would you like to have awarded? Do you prefer tangible objects or gift certificates?

How is our communication? When questions arose during the BASH were you able to get an answer within a reasonable amount of time?

Could we organize the contest threads better?

Do you prefer contests where judges choose finalists or do you like finalists to be determined by member votes?

These are just examples of the critical critique we are requesting from you, the membership. Whatever your opinion of the BASH, positive, negative or indifferent we would like to know. You may post suggestions here or PM them to me. I will keep them all and refer to them as we plan BASH 2013.

Thanks for playing! I had a great time and I suspect most of you did also.​

Last edited:

Finatic

Hats off to all who put the bash together. Had a great time! Congrats to all the winners. I'll go and sulk with the losers club until next year.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
You guys did a great job Mike!!! I'm exhausted from all the reading over the last month. You guys need to take a paid vacation from IAP:biggrin:. I'm sure there were ups and sowns behing the scenes, but as usual, everything appeared to run smooth on this end. So pat yourselves on the back and take a bow!!

Andrew_K99

First, the BASH was indeed GREAT!!!

I only write the following because you've asked, they are in no way complaints.

The trivia was fun, but easy. I think I spent no more than a minute finding most of the answers. Harder, much harder might be nice, at least for every other day or something.

I know from another forum I am on polls can be tweaked to allow more than 10 options. One thread with all the options for "best ..." would be easier.

Also the beginners best pen contest is great but I didn't qualify, been here a year now, but I am far from able to participate in the other classes. Maybe a "I've made less than 50 pens" class? Though next year I'll enter the advanced :cool:

A master schedule of events would be cool, maybe in the calendar if it allowed times.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
By every measure I can think of, this was the most successful Bash on record! I always wonder, "how will we top last year?", but it just keeps getting bigger and better.

To the Incredible Bash Team; You people just amaze me. If I had you all on a team at NASA, we could be back on the moon next month, and it would be a smooth trip! You all just get the job done. Period.

Mike; on behalf of the entire IAP family, THANK YOU for leading such an incredible team. The ability to organize and manage is a skill, but you have the gift of leadership.

To our prize contributors: WOW! Be you vendors or individuals, your generosity is unmatched! The foundation of the Bash is camaraderie and friendly competition, but your prizes add the FUN!

To our generous supporters: YOU built this community, and YOU keep it going. Some of you are first time supporters, and others have been generously contributing to the cause for many years. We thank you ALL for believing in the IAP and helping us continue to drive the craft, hobby, and business of pen making forward.

To our auction bidders: We sincerely appreciate your willingness to sleep on the couch or in the doghouse when your significant other finds out what you bid. Shhhhh, we won't tell!

TWO SPECIAL SHOUT OUTS:

I just have to thank Andrew "The Bloodhound" Jordan for his outstanding ability to sniff our prizes wherever they may be, and Ed "The Hammer Man" Brown for his entertaining and exciting auction skills. (And for also getting two hundred prizes to winners!)

I can't say it any more clearly or truthfully than this: I am proud to be part of this community.

JohnU

Congrats and a Huge Thank You to all involved in running, organizing, suppling prizes and getting involved to make a fun and successful IAP Birthday Bash! I've been here for a few and I think they just keep getting better. The entries in the contests were mind blowing and really show what this site has to offer in talent and ideas. The prizes were great! I think it was a nice mixture of both certificates (allowing you to buy something you need or want to try) and objects (receiving tools or original blanks from our vendors). All kept you trying in anticipation of winning something awesome. I like the polls, allowing for everyones input on picking the winners. There was a nice variety of contests, trivia and games to peek multiple intrests. Also prizes rewarding participation. The one thing I would like to see in next years bash is more entries. There is a lot of hidden talent viewing this site. Step up and show it off. Thanks again to all of you!

bensoelberg

The one thing I would like to see in next years bash is more entries. There is a lot of hidden talent viewing this site. Step up and show it off. Thanks again to all of you!

Couldn't agree more. More competition is good. Perhaps the best way to do this would be to post the contest rules more in advance. Maybe at the beginning of January so that people could have a little more time to get their supplies together. I know that that puts a little more responsibility on the bash team to organize a little earlier, but from what I saw behind the scenes this year, it shouldn't be too difficult.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
First, the BASH was indeed GREAT!!!

I only write the following because you've asked, they are in no way complaints.

The trivia was fun, but easy. I think I spent no more than a minute finding most of the answers. Harder, much harder might be nice, at least for every other day or something.

I know from another forum I am on polls can be tweaked to allow more than 10 options. One thread with all the options for "best ..." would be easier.

Also the beginners best pen contest is great but I didn't qualify, been here a year now, but I am far from able to participate in the other classes. Maybe a "I've made less than 50 pens" class? Though next year I'll enter the advanced :cool:

A master schedule of events would be cool, maybe in the calendar if it allowed times.
I have a few ideas that might push it in that direction.:hammer:
The one thing I would like to see in next years bash is more entries. There is a lot of hidden talent viewing this site. Step up and show it off. Thanks again to all of you!

Couldn't agree more. More competition is good. Perhaps the best way to do this would be to post the contest rules more in advance. Maybe at the beginning of January so that people could have a little more time to get their supplies together. I know that that puts a little more responsibility on the bash team to organize a little earlier, but from what I saw behind the scenes this year, it shouldn't be too difficult.
This is doable if the contests are committed to earlier in the year. Rules ready by January would require a lot of planning in November and December and as you can imagine, it is a bit hectic that time of year. Having done several in a row has now pointed out many of the things that can go wrong, some were logistical, some technical, and some were simply human error(on my part mostly). These mistakes can/will be corrected but as with any contest, I'm sure new "opportunities" will arise.

I liked the way the intermediate pen contest was done. I think something in the "less than 50 pens" direction would be a good idea. Next year we need to do the edible pen contest again. How dare Mr. Powell go and get a job just before the bash. :biggrin:
For those who aren't sure you can make a good enough pen to win, you know the basic contests. You now have 1 year to come up with an idea and perfect it to be ready for next years bash. That is what I'm going to do. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

TomS

I think everything went great. Thank you to all those who contributed, either by donation, or by giving their time.
A couple suggestions. The "ugly pen" contest kind of got out of control. I think the idea was to show a pen that didn't end up as it was designed. Instead, some pens were made specifically for the contest, and took away the "oops" factor.
Also, maybe the auction times could be shortened. Maybe 1 hour or so. It seemed like many of them had long periods when no one was bidding. Shorter time would mean more action.

Tom

G1Pens

I would like to see the some small changes in the pens/casting and photo contests.

First, I think all the entries in those contests should be anonymous. This year some were and some were not.

Second, I would like to see "judges" pick the top six from the entries. Those six finalists would then be presented to the membership for voting to determine the final winners. Judging is very subjective and I just think that having the members vote does a lot to eliminate or at least balance out the subjective factor.

I like the idea already submitted of taking members to a few of the sponsoring vendors web site for some of the trivia questions. I think we need to do more to promote those vendors for their contributions during the bash.

I also agree on making a few of the trivia questions a little harder to find the answers to.....although that is not a biggie.

Overall it was a great bash and I really enjoyed it. I am already looking forward to next year.

ctubbs

This was my second year for the Bash and I was honored by having my submission into the Library nominated for that contest. It was not selected as one of the finalist, but I was proud and thankful that it was even considered, therefore thank you to whoever made the nomination.

The Bash crew did an outstanding job this year, even better than last year and I thought that it was amazing then. One thing that might be an improvement was in the Trivia questions. Many were very easy either to find or were common knowledge. The more difficult ones were findable within a few minutes search, especially once I managed to get my head on straight.

Overall, this was another wonderful celebration and the entire staff deserves a well placed pat on the back and a raise. How doubling their salary?
Charles

OOPS

One thing that I think would be nice is when the winners in the various pen contests are announced, the photo of their pen should be placed there too. I read some award announcements that just said, "Winner was pen #6, etc." After looking at dozens of pens through the contest, I can't remember what the pens were by number. If you look at the announcement of winners in Russ Fairfield's Memorial Contest, the winners each had the photo posted, to refresh our memories.

Regarding the beginning pen turners, join date isn't always that reliable. I joined about 10 months before I purchased my lathe! And given that some have a harder learning curve to climb than others, I think an "under 50 pens" would be interesting.

I too would agree that the entrants should be anonymous, so that reputations could not help sway the voting.

Overall, I think the Bash is a lot of fun. I really like looking at the contest entries.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
One thing that I think would be nice is when the winners in the various pen contests are announced, the photo of their pen should be placed there too. I read some award announcements that just said, "Winner was pen #6, etc." After looking at dozens of pens through the contest, I can't remember what the pens were by number.
Valid point. The entries were numbered in the entry thread so as to make it easy to reference. I failed to post a link to the entry thread within the winners announcements. (MY bad there, sorry)

If you look at the announcement of winners in Russ Fairfield's Memorial Contest, the winners each had the photo posted, to refresh our memories.

Regarding the beginning pen turners, join date isn't always that reliable.
Very much agree and it was never even considered by me. I stated it was to be on the "honor system" in when you started MAKING pens, not join date. If this was unclear, that is an easy fix. I'll revisit the wording.

I joined about 10 months before I purchased my lathe! And given that some have a harder learning curve to climb than others, I think an "under 50 pens" would be interesting.

I too would agree that the entrants should be anonymous, so that reputations could not help sway the voting.

Overall, I think the Bash is a lot of fun. I really like looking at the contest entries.
Thanks to everyone for the comments regarding my contests, this input is the best way to evaluate and improve things. Keep the comments coming in.

Andrew_K99

Just a few more thoughts :eek:

The Uner XXX pens turned could be expanded to "under 20", "Under 50" and "Under 100". I think this would encourage a lot of the newer members to enter. As has been mentioned before, some people turn more pens in a week then I might in a year.

Also, don't show the pictures until voting time! I think it was the first picture posted in the Intermediate Class (so really early on) that made me realize I had no chance. Had I not seen this I might have tried.

I also thought a "Mystery" contest could be set up. Maybe sponsored by a vendor? With the mystery item (kit, color, theme?) noted Feb. 1rst.

AK

JMCU

Would it be appropriate for a thumbnail of the entrants pen be posted with the finalists name at the time of winners anouncement?

Oops, my bad, i didn't realize you click their link and go to the picture of the pen.

Last edited:

The Penguin

my only critique...when a crossword clue says to find a "West African species of the Sterculiaceae family" - the answer should be a species name, not a common name. :tongue:

I really enjoyed the crosswords and the "Match the shop" contest

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
For sure, this was the best ever and the prizes were over the top. I agree with those that say contest rules should be posted well in advance and I like the idea of not showing pictures until the voting starts. I wish that more participated in the contests and perhaps the advance warning might encourage those who may have a little less time to work on their pens and those that might be limited by shop time because of the weather.

Also, I think we need a special large size auction font just for Ed. Its hard to read his posts sometimes:)

Thanks to all who made this happen and our most gererous donors.

Haynie

This is the first website I have seen do this. It was interesting, fun and if life had not reared its ugly head that afternoon and given me quite the spanking I would have gotten some of that Huanghuali (sp). Lots of fun. Please understand that my trash talk was in no way personal. Next year I plan to participate much more.

I also agree about rules being posted in advance of the contests

Thanks folks.

Justturnin

I think it would be fun create Beginner(<75 pens), Intermediate (76-199 pens) and Expert (200+ pens) categorys w/ Pen Kits. I know there was an advanced contest but those were for the kitless and closed ends and such. Many folks dont have the Hardware to achieve that or the time leaving a big void in skill levels. I missed the Beginner by 1 month becasue I turned my first pen in July '11 but have only turned about 30-40 pens in that time, most in a box labled mistakes to have the tubes reclaimed one day. I am happy w/ the pen I submitted but feel it was more suited for the beginner than the intermediate (from what I saw).

Also, like others said, more advanced notice or more than 2.5 weeks to complete the pens. This was my first bash and I had NO idea what to expect. By the time the rules came out and I ordered my materials it was already over a week in leaving only one more week to prep and turn a pen. It takes me one week to turn a single pen much less one that I have to paint the tubes, glue on parts, cast & Turn all with at least one day of drying/curing in between. This caused me to only get one pen in instead of the 4 I was working on.

There my whining is done. Its early and I worked late again and not enough sleep making me a bit of a baby.....:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Ohh, no matter what this was a BLAST. Everyone did a great job. I dont know what was more fun, trying to get my pens in or reading all of the crazy posts. Next year we need a trash talkin thread because some of the folks out there were bringing tears to my eyes when I read their posts.

Last edited:

kronewi

I enjoyed the Bash and have no complaints. My only suggestion would be in relation to the trivia. I think that it would be a good idea to only allow a person to win the trivia once (per Bash of course). This would allow more people to be able to win prizes. Just my 2 cents worth.

firewhatfire

Critiques

The coordinators here did an outstanding job(few minor bobbles) Understandably people have other jobs they do besides here. Communications were responded to very timely.

The trivia while being easy to alot of these folks, had the Newbies struggling(ME) and a few others. We all have not searched every corner of this site yet. As for sending out to vendor site(great idea) they get traffic and maybe a order of 2 while we are there.

I see alot of folks saying keep photos hidden and let a panel pick 6 and post to general population. If thats the case then all photos should be posted for an initail vote(blind) then the top 6 set up for a revote(blind again) This way everyones pen photos get posted to be seen by the forum during the competition and it still allows for the population to vote(be pretty disappointing to submit a pen and then the only chance it is seen in in March after the bash(because a judge didnt think it was top 6 material)

I was suprised that freestyle included kitless pens, I loved the freestyle category---most amaing folks submitting things. I would have thought kitless would have had its own category aside from being with this group.

Being one of the new guys in town, Turning less than a year but longer than the Newbie category. First of all thanks to all who sponsor and run the bash(WOW) I had a tremendous amount of fun working with each category I was ready to be in and pushing my limits. It paid off a couple of times. What I have done since beginning this wild hobby has been a direct result of what I have learned from this site.

I really use this place everyday and have more printed material laying around from the library here than my kids do in homework sheets from there school.

Phil

Ambidex

Was my first bash..thought it was great! I really liked the contests..actually thought I had a good chance at the beginners pen until I saw some of the pics..Some real talent coming up! Thanks to all who ran the bash and to all the vendors for their generousity.

Sylvanite

First of all, let me just say that this year's Bash was one of the best I've seen. Overall, it was very well run and the few hiccups that showed were minor. I think the anonymous entry and hidden poll system worked quite well.

Some thoughts:
  • I'd like to see more contests decided by poll than judges panel. In those cases where a panel makes sense, use the judges to narrow the field and present the top 6 entries to the membership for voting.
  • I think staggered constests throughout the month would keep the excitement going better. For example, Best Article and Featured Pen polls could be run during the first week of February. Ugly Pens, Shop Photos , and Tricolor Casting could be due at the end of that week, and voted on during the second. Beginner Pens, Marketing Photos, Embedded Object Casting, and Russ Fairfield entries could be due the second week, and polled during the third. Intermediate Pens, Open Pens, Logo Photos, and Tube-On Casting contests could close on the third week, and be judged and polled during the last week. That way, there'd always be voting going on, and winners announced throughout the month - rather than most at the very end.
  • Press the winners to move up. Ask this year's contest winners (myself included) to help run - or at least be a judge for - that contest next year, or advance to the next eschelon of contest.
  • I don't know how much thought went into prize allocation, but I think prizes could be matched to contests. For example, blanks, kits, and small tooling would make great prizes for the Beginner Pen and Russ Fairfield contests. Specialty tooling, casting/stabilizing materials, and the like would be good for intermediate prizes. Best Tutorial / Featured Pen / Open Pen type contests should focus on bragging rights. Give them a plaque and some sort of prize an experienced turner could use. If a vendor gives multiple items, they should be awarded in different contests to give the donor good exposure.
  • This idea may not be a good one, but would it make sense to have some sort of prize exchange or regift after the fact? Sometimes, one wins a prize that he simply doesn't need. If that's me, I'd like the opportunity to trade or donate it away. As a vendor, I'd rather my item goes to someone who will use it. Maybe we could think about how to do that without seeming ungrateful or potentially offending the givers.
Those are the thoughts off the top of my head. Thanks for listening and again I'd like to say that I had a blast last month and have no complaints at all. I won more prizes and gave more prizes than I could have expected :biggrin: - but the biggest reward was simply participating, and pushing myself to try new things and improve my penmaking.

Sincerely,
Eric

MarkD

It would like to see a "calendar of events" for future Bash's. There is so much going on ( which is a good thing ) that's it's hard to keep track of it all. If all the information was in one place it would be much easier to be sure we are online for the events we are interested in. It would be great to have a calendar showing the time and date of the various events. For example, show when all the auctions will be held and when the various contests will end.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It would like to see a "calendar of events" for future Bash's. There is so much going on ( which is a good thing ) that's it's hard to keep track of it all. If all the information was in one place it would be much easier to be sure we are online for the events we are interested in. It would be great to have a calendar showing the time and date of the various events. For example, show when all the auctions will be held and when the various contests will end.

Many members have said how well-organized the bash is. If you saw the "final calendar" that starts the month, you would see how many things change DURING the month.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A calendar IS a GOOD idea----but keeping it current would be a "daily job" for someone!!!:frown::frown::frown:

Andrew_K99

... The trivia while being easy to alot of these folks, had the Newbies struggling(ME) and a few others. We all have not searched every corner of this site yet. As for sending out to vendor site(great idea) they get traffic and maybe a order of 2 while we are there. ...
I would say those that thought it was easy knew that google search is a milion times better than a vBulletin (forum software) search.

If you do an advanced google search, you can search a specific domain (penturners.org). I don't think I spent more then a minute or two on any of the questions.

AK

bensoelberg

... The trivia while being easy to alot of these folks, had the Newbies struggling(ME) and a few others. We all have not searched every corner of this site yet. As for sending out to vendor site(great idea) they get traffic and maybe a order of 2 while we are there. ...
I would say those that thought it was easy knew that google search is a milion times better than a vBulletin (forum software) search.

If you do an advanced google search, you can search a specific domain (penturners.org). I don't think I spent more then a minute or two on any of the questions.

AK

Now you're just giving away secrets! :biggrin::biggrin:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
My only thought was the contests need to end on a sunday evening where possible. this would allow a full weekend for that last ditch effort to finish an entry for those that have to work during the week.

edited in: Just for the record I have not yet made 50 pens total.

Last edited:

firewhatfire

could have used that tidbit of info about a month ago:rolleyes: thus I know several new guys that didnt play trivia because they said it was to hard to find answers. I found most by the way.........I didnt even try the 2nd crossword after the first took me so long.

AK

Andrew_K99

could have used that tidbit of info about a month ago:rolleyes: thus I know several new guys that didnt play trivia because they said it was to hard to find answers. I found most by the way.........I didnt even try the 2nd crossword after the first took me so long.

AK

I knew some were fighting with doing it the 'hard' way and wanted to spill the beans for the easy way but that wouldn't have been any fun :tongue:.

I might be one of few, but I have OCD and WILL find the answer to something or it will drive me insane. I would like some hard (unsearchable even) type questions that you really have to dig for. Giving the name of the turorial and asking a question about it was childs play :cool:.

I wonder if a 50/50 would fly for a 'contest'?

AK

Timebandit

I had a great time even thought i didnt win anything, also didnt have much time to enter in all the contests, but i had fun none the less!!

So here is my one critique........Fisrt off, im not here to win anything, im here for the love of making pens, so prizes werent a huge issue for me, but i was a little disappointed that most of the prizes were the same. Now i want to personally thank Constant and Lazerlinz for all of the prizes and the extent of the prizes that he donated to this years bash!!! THANK YOU!!!!! But this is part of the problem. In almost every contest there were prizes from Constant in the form of gift certificates and laser kits. While great for some, i personally dont do kit pens, so this would mostly be a waste for me, and if i did, i also dont do laser kits, just dont like stuff like that, so i had a very high percentage of winning something from Constant in every contest and in some contests all 3 prizes were form him. Now like i said, this is great for some, and really great for the new guys, but i wouldnt have any use for those and would have just sold them or donated them back to IAP. I would have liked to see a larger diversity of prizes other than laser kits and gift certificates to buy laser kits. Again i want to thank Constant for being a huge part of this years bash and on IAP in general!!! I look forward to many more Birthday Bash's!!!!

Justin

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I had a great time even thought i didnt win anything, also didnt have much time to enter in all the contests, but i had fun none the less!!

So here is my one critique........Fisrt off, im not here to win anything, im here for the love of making pens, so prizes werent a huge issue for me, but i was a little disappointed that most of the prizes were the same. Now i want to personally thank Constant and Lazerlinz for all of the prizes and the extent of the prizes that he donated to this years bash!!! THANK YOU!!!!! But this is part of the problem. In almost every contest there were prizes from Constant in the form of gift certificates and laser kits. While great for some, i personally dont do kit pens, so this would mostly be a waste for me, and if i did, i also dont do laser kits, just dont like stuff like that, so i had a very high percentage of winning something from Constant in every contest and in some contests all 3 prizes were form him. Now like i said, this is great for some, and really great for the new guys, but i wouldnt have any use for those and would have just sold them or donated them back to IAP. I would have liked to see a larger diversity of prizes other than laser kits and gift certificates to buy laser kits. Again i want to thank Constant for being a huge part of this years bash and on IAP in general!!! I look forward to many more Birthday Bash's!!!!

Justin

Just as a "point of fact": Constant volunteered 25 prizes this year---for a total value of $2500!!! Certainly a GENEROUS contribution.

There were a total of 178 prizes when the bash started and about 25 or so that were added through the month. So, if we round to 200, Lazerlinez provided One out of every EIGHT prizes. But, they were "big ticket" which are usually allocated to the high profile contests.

I am certain that Andrew (Maxwell_Smart007) would LOVE to have more vendors step forward with this type of support----I will never understand HOW he keeps his sanity in the four MONTHS leading up to the bash!!!

He had one person helping this year, if you have "favorite vendors" that you would like to see do more for the bash, volunteer to help Andrew ---I'm sure he would be happy for the help!!

Timebandit

Justin

Just as a "point of fact": Constant volunteered 25 prizes this year---for a total value of $2500!!! Certainly a GENEROUS contribution.

There were a total of 178 prizes when the bash started and about 25 or so that were added through the month. So, if we round to 200, Lazerlinez provided One out of every EIGHT prizes. But, they were "big ticket" which are usually allocated to the high profile contests.

I am certain that Andrew (Maxwell_Smart007) would LOVE to have more vendors step forward with this type of support----I will never understand HOW he keeps his sanity in the four MONTHS leading up to the bash!!!

He had one person helping this year, if you have "favorite vendors" that you would like to see do more for the bash, volunteer to help Andrew ---I'm sure he would be happy for the help!!

All true, but check this out.

Russ Fairfield contest
1st & 2nd place = Laserlinz

Freestyle Contest
1st & 2nd place = Laserlinz

Modified Contest
1st place = Laserlinz

Intermediate Contest
1st place = Laserlinz

Color Casting Contest
2nd place = Laserlinz

Embeded Contest
2nd & 3rd place = Laserlinz

Tube Casting
1st & 2nd = Laserlinz

Beginners Contest
3rd = Laserlinz

These are the contests i am talking about, one where you are making a pen, not trivia or crossword puzzle, or photo contest, ones where you had to make a pen. As i am like most people and like to win first or second place, you can see that if i were to win first or second place in most of the pen making contests, that i have a very high chance of getting something from Laserlinz. Not a bad thing, but a lot of times i thought i would rather win second or third, just for a useable prize. Again, im not here to get free stuff, but again, if i wanted to win first or second in almost all of the contests i would have entered in, i would win something form the same vendor. This is where i would like to see the diversity. Not multiple items from the same vendor. Not all the same vendors items in all of the contests. This has nothing to do with Constant, its that he only sells a few items, not like Classic, IPD or Exotics, with a vast selection to suit everyone. Even with them, i would like to see a diversity of items from different vendors.

Constant, again i thank you for all that you did for the bash and for all that you do here on IAP, for you firm belie in you American products, and for jumping into you very own pen product lines!!! i salute you!!

Justin

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I would like to see the some small changes in the pens/casting and photo contests.

First, I think all the entries in those contests should be anonymous. This year some were and some were not.

Second, I would like to see "judges" pick the top six from the entries. Those six finalists would then be presented to the membership for voting to determine the final winners. Judging is very subjective and I just think that having the members vote does a lot to eliminate or at least balance out the subjective factor.

Clarification, please!

Not sure why the photo contest was included in changes suggested since this is how the photo contest has always been done. Entries are via the entry form and remain anonymous until the contest is over. The judges picked the top 6 or so entries and then they were put for a vote by the members, exactly as you suggest. What am I missing? Seriously wanting to know so I can be sure to address your suggestions for next year if we do the photo contest again.

Top Bottom