Dec. Pen Swap Pictures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I'll start the ball rolling..:biggrin:
Dave Lyons told me he has received his pen..

To keep in with the 'Construction' theme, I made a little claw hammer out of stainless steel.
It's not without flaws and it was supposed to be a rollerball but I made a mistake with the drilling and had to make it a ballpoint.
I didn't make the Christmas ornament, but couldn't resist sending the little Welsh Dragon.:biggrin:

The last pic is just the plan and another pen to show the size.:wink:

Attachments

• DSCF2276.JPG
    DSCF2276.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 693
  • DSCF2279.JPG
    DSCF2279.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 529
  • DSCF2285.JPG
    DSCF2285.JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 567

lyonsacc

It looks better in person!!! Fantastically fun pen! And a cute little Welsh dragon for our tree too. I had to google what is said . . .

I'll start the ball rolling..:biggrin:
Dave Lyons told me he has received his pen..

To keep in with the 'Construction' theme, I made a little claw hammer out of stainless steel.
It's not without flaws and it was supposed to be a rollerball but I made a mistake with the drilling and had to make it a ballpoint.
I didn't make the Christmas ornament, but couldn't resist sending the little Welsh Dragon.:biggrin:

The last pic is just the plan and another pen to show the size.:wink:

Ed McDonnell

Can't post pictures until they are mailed (today hopefully) and received. Despite what the guy on TV says, shipping IS a hassle.

Ed

Flynny

Photos

I am ashamed to say that I did not take a pix before sending. I am hoping that alankulwicki7 will post one upon receipt. I agree that Skiprat's is incredible.
John

alankulwicki7

Mailed mine yesterday, might post them after they have been received, kind of intimidated by the Skiprat standard. I am not even in the parking lot to his ballpark.

Heck, I'm not even in the same Galaxy :biggrin:

I am ashamed to say that I did not take a pix before sending. I am hoping that alankulwicki7 will post one upon receipt. I agree that Skiprat's is incredible.
John

John,
I'll be sure to post pictures of your pen. I'll send you some digital copies for your records as well.

akingkubo

I am waiting for my partner to send me his address so I can mail my stuff.I finish his pen and ornament this weekend.

Cwalker935

I guess that I will bite the bullet and follow Skiprat. At least my followup is on a separate page and will not be compared head to head. My pen and ornament were made with plywood, brass nipples, and brass cap nuts. I am not sure if the brass fittings are considered "construction" materials but the plywood certainly is. I used alcohol dye to color the plywood in Christmas colors. My apologies to Andy for the lack of creativity but my other ideas did not work out.

image.jpg

paintspill

I guess that I will bite the bullet and follow Skiprat. At least my followup is on a separate page and will not be compared head to head. My pen and ornament were made with plywood, brass nipples, and brass cap nuts. I am not sure if the brass fittings are considered "construction" materials but the plywood certainly is. I used alcohol dye to color the plywood in Christmas colors. My apologies to Andy for the lack of creativity but my other ideas did not work out.

View attachment 125753

doesn't matter. you get bonus points for using the words nipples and nuts and getting away with it.

D.Oliver

View attachment 125753

Great job! Plumbing is contruction in my opinion!

mike4066

Pen has been done for about a week, but I still need to make an ornament before I can ship it... So far I've scrapped 3 ornaments... a few more failed attempts and my partner may get a ornament made of construction paper :)

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
So who wants to be the one who post their pictures right after the Rat?:biggrin:

Mailed mine yesterday, might post them after they have been received, kind of intimidated by the Skiprat standard. I am not even in the parking lot to his ballpark.

John

Skiprat, You really nailed it with that pen! :biggrin:

Don't be intimidated by the Rat, be inspired. Stephen is infinitely resourceful and talented. We are fortunate that he shares his work with us. I normally do not try to speak for other people but I'm going to make an exception in this case simply because having been around here for a few years and having had several conversations with Stephen I think he will be the first to tell anyone that anyone who puts fourth their best effort has absolutely no reason to feel intimidated by anyone else. Keep challenging yourself and you will constantly improve.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hey Mike...!!! You are ruining my Demi God rep. !!!:devil:
All you mere mortals should just give up and sell your tools and buy BIC pens..:tongue:

I don't consider my work, or anyone else's, better. Different maybe, but not better. :wink:

If you have done your best and are proud of your work, then it should please the recipient. If not, then they don't deserve it.:biggrin:

Oh, and Mick, my name is SteVen......:tongue:

juteck

I received my ornament from Mark James and it already found a home on my tree.

The pen will follow, but Mark was anxious for me to receive this now, I'm sure because he knew I was looking forward to putting it on my tree!!

Thanks Mark! Merry Christmas.

Attachments

• image-18777996.jpg
    image-18777996.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 362

Cmiles1985

I must admit that my pen is still in the planning phase. With any luck, I'll have it out by the end of the week! The ornament is already made, I'll just have to pick which one to steal from my darling wife :)

Ed McDonnell

USPS tracking says my packages have been delivered to both Derek and Edgar, so I guess it's safe to post pictures. Here's the official construction themed swap pens that I made. As my wife said "that's just nuts".

View in Gallery

I had what I thought was a great idea for the ornaments. A 3 color cast. The reality didn't live up to my vision:

View in Gallery

Feeling bad about the ornaments, I decided to include some alternate ornaments. A little ribbon on the clip and they can hang from a (sturdy) tree):

View in Gallery

Ed

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks for posting the photos, Ed.

After I finished the morning chores here on the farm, I sat down to breakfast and was just fixin' to drink a second cup of coffee when I heard a low flying plane buzz the bunkhouse.

Thinking that it might be my special delivery from Parklandturner, I rushed outside, just in time to see a parachute floating down off in the distance. So I saddled up Ol' Paint & headed out to the Back 40 to search for it.

Well, I found it, but I think it'll be the spring roundup before I'll be able to wrestle it away from Old Zeke here.

Attachments

• AirmailFromParklandturner.jpg
    AirmailFromParklandturner.jpg
    447 KB · Views: 340

Ed McDonnell

Hi Edgar - Now that's a long horn!! I don't know if I would want to be bending over and picking up pecans with them around!!! Enjoy the pens.

Ed

mlconnelly

I finished the ornament and the pen blank today. Hopefully I can get the ornament and finished pen in the mail next week for their trip to the Aloha state.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

The pen will follow, but Mark was anxious for me to receive this now, I'm sure because he knew I was looking forward to putting it on my tree!!

Glad it didn't come in 100 pieces!!! I was very unsure of the shell.

Actually, I just finished the pen, so that will be posted Mon morning!!!

Now need to make something for our Ohio Chapter meeting this Saturday!!!

Oh.... Merry Christmas!

D.Oliver

USPS tracking says my packages have been delivered to both Derek and Edgar, so I guess it's safe to post pictures. Here's the official construction themed swap pens that I made. As my wife said "that's just nuts".

View in gallery

I had what I thought was a great idea for the ornaments. A 3 color cast. The reality didn't live up to my vision:

View in gallery

Feeling bad about the ornaments, I decided to include some alternate ornaments. A little ribbon on the clip and they can hang from a (sturdy) tree):

View in gallery

Ed

You sir outdid yourself! And I thought the disk ornament was great, but I'm not going to lie, the second "ornament" was a little better!:biggrin: In fact, In honour of you and your great works of art, I'm not going to crack even one joke about your "nuts"! :tongue:

pesto126

View attachment 125753

We love both the pen and the ornament - the iridescent colors on both are amazing and don't come forth in the photos... they are wonderful for sure!

Lance

Whew,, For only turning for 3 months; Stepped outside my Comfort Zone

Got both the Pen and Ornament completed. Shipping out to Argo13 tomorrow... I just wanted to thank all fellow Turners on this site for the opportunity to participate in this Exchange. Also, to Thank All for their silent support. ( I've been reading posts) By stepping out of my comfort zone I've learned quite a bit.
1) To turn Christmas Ornaments one should have a 60 degree tail stock and a lathe chuck ( note to me get one of each )
2) By stepping out of the Comfort Zone I've gained alot of knowledge, primarily " That I don't know Squat "

Be kind when you see them,,, Laughs :biggrin::biggrin:

Argo13

Lance,

Coincidently I finished yours yesterday as well and it will in the mail tomorrow I hope. Having fun and learning a few things is what it's about. :):)

Jason

Got both the Pen and Ornament completed. Shipping out to Argo13 tomorrow... I just wanted to thank all fellow Turners on this site for the opportunity to participate in this Exchange. Also, to Thank All for their silent support. ( I've been reading posts) By stepping out of my comfort zone I've learned quite a bit.
1) To turn Christmas Ornaments one should have a 60 degree tail stock and a lathe chuck ( note to me get one of each )
2) By stepping out of the Comfort Zone I've gained alot of knowledge, primarily " That I don't know Squat "

Be kind when you see them,,, Laughs :biggrin::biggrin:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

It looks great on your tree! This was the lonely version!

The pen is being mailed this AM!

Attachments

• IMG_1637.jpg
    IMG_1637.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 148

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

View in gallery

View in gallery

View in gallery

Ed

My package from Parklandturner was delivered today and I am absolutely blown away by these pens! (I received the chrome customized Glacia pen by the way.) The photos don't do these pens justice - I've been going over & over them with a jeweler's loupe and the minute detail is just stunning!

I've been a great admirer of the work Ed has posted from time to time & it is quite an honor to actually own a couple of these fine creations. :biggrin:

The ornament is also a beauty - I don't see a thing wrong with it, but I'm sure glad that Ed felt the need to send a "backup". :wink:

I'll be finishing up my swap for Ed later this week, but I'm not sure I'll have the nerve to actually ship them.

Thanks again Ed, I will truly treasure these pens & ornament!

Edgar

Ed McDonnell

...but I'm not sure I'll have the nerve to actually ship them.

Edgar

Glad you liked the pens Edgar. You have nothing to fear in sending a pen to me. I can guarantee 100% for sure that the pens that you and Derek send (...well, maybe not Derek....) will be the nicest pens that I've ever received in a PITH swap!! :wink:

Ed

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
...but I'm not sure I'll have the nerve to actually ship them.

Edgar

Glad you liked the pens Edgar. You have nothing to fear in sending a pen to me. I can guarantee 100% for sure that the pens that you and Derek send (...well, maybe not Derek....) will be the nicest pens that I've ever received in a PITH swap!! :wink:

Ed

Well then, I hope you never participate in another one (unless I'm your partner) so I can hold onto that honor. :)

alankulwicki7

Here's the pen and ornament I received from my partner, John (aka Flynny). Sorry it took so long to post this but I was busy with a craft show over the weekend.

I lost the note accompanying the pen but it's a slim line with oak, some steel washers as a center band, and a unique wood finial. Also included a nice Oak ornament and a sweet gum pen blank.

Thanks for the fun and great pen and ornament, John!

Attachments

• swap.jpg
    swap.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 308
Top Bottom