2011 Casing Challenge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

50 Cal Entry

Well, it's not as fancy as the others but what the heck, here's my entry. 50 cal with Amboyna Burl.

Attachments

• IMG_1194.JPG
    IMG_1194.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1204.JPG
    IMG_1204.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 164

firewhatfire

Guns and Roses

started a new post but figured it should be in this one also.

This is my first casing pen thanks to the generosity of Sylvanite on here. The casing entry was about using a shell casing well I used about 15 to get to this point. Some of those are now destroyed needless to say. The leaves and petals are 270 and 308 casings and the finial is a piece of acrylic turned for what I hope looks like a bees behind sticking up out of the flower. Comments and critques are welcome and encouraged as I have never attempted anything like this before. Thanks for looking.
shellcasingpen006.jpg

shellcasingpen008.jpg

seamus7227

Wow!! We are getting some stiff competition on here, I am thoroughly impressed with these entries! Not sure that I have anything new to bring to the table this year.

Linarestribe

Fire and Turbulence

My son has really been wanting a bullet pen and with this challenge a great offer was given.

Eric from Little River Crafts donated the components in a 30-06 and Cathy Sue donated a few blanks to get me started as a new turner. Together I came up with this. Nothing fancy just a good first try. Next time I think I'll turn it a little bigger since it looks to small on the 30-06. The blank looks a little like fire and air turbulence so I called it that.

Thanks for looking
Jorge

Attachments

• 800_CIMG1101.jpg
    800_CIMG1101.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 800_CIMG1102.jpg
    800_CIMG1102.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 155
I did a .50 with AK wood for the bullet...something is gooned up with the transmission.

I've been having a spell of bad luck with the pens lately, not sure why. Had the short barrel on the AK wood Cigar and then I gooned up the transmission on the .50 cal somehow.

Will post a pic, I gave it to my daughter...

David M

My humble little pen

Here is mine , made with a few casings. On one side there are 380, 30.06 and a 38 special. On the other side a 30.30, 270 and a 243. the top end at the clip is made from a 45 and and 22 , the clip is a peace of 1/8 brass rod hammered flat on one end. The 22 is drilled for the rod an the 45 is drilled for the 22, both is soldered in. The top twist part is a 40 cal. ( 9 different casing sizes ). Pen is made in the americana classic style - the top twist and pulls off so you can unscrew the trans to change the refill.
DSC02138-1.jpg

DSC02142-1.jpg

DSC02111-1.jpg

Hope you like my simple little pen....
David

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks alot David. I was going to make a pen for this contest. I don't think I'll even bother after seeing this one :redface: Nice creation!

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Pretty amazing to see all the creativity so far. This is gonna be a tough one this year.

Rfturner

My humble entry

This pen was made to look like a derringer pistol. I used
* 2 .308 shells
* 2 .45 shells
* 4 .22 shells
* 1 brass sheet
* 1 1/4" thick piece of wood

It takes a shortened ink cartidge, if you pull out the "hammer" it is the ink cartidge. it has some black paint on the ink cartridge to make it blend in on the handle. I antiqued the entire pen to make it look old. The pen is close to the size of an actual derringer. this is my second completly kitless pen.

I will be taking some better photos later this week these were off of a cell phone as I could not get to the photo equipment.

Attachments

• IMG_0039[1].jpg
    IMG_0039[1].jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0034[1].jpg
    IMG_0034[1].jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:

EBorraga

In Memoriam
This pen was made to look like a derringer pistol. I used
* 2 .308 shells
* 2 .45 shells
* 4 .22 shells
* 1 brass sheet
* 1 1/4" thick piece of wood

It takes a shortened ink cartidge, if you pull out the "hammer" it is the ink cartidge. it has some black paint on the ink cartridge to make it blend in on the handle. I antiqued the entire pen to make it look old. The pen is close to the size of an actual derringer. this is my second completly kitless pen.

I will be taking some better photos later this week these were off of a cell phone as I could not get to the photo equipment.

That's definetly thinking outside the box!! I hope to see some more pics of this. Great job Ryan

EBorraga

In Memoriam
I was going to enter. But after seeing this spectacular pens I do not feel worthy enough to try...:frown:

I hope you don't feel this way. This is the reason it's not winner take all. Everyone has a chance to win something. The worst thing you could do is not try because of some creative designs already.

Rfturner

I was going to enter. But after seeing this spectacular pens I do not feel worthy enough to try...:frown:

Try it anyway at worst you will have fun and at best you will win. There have been so many contest that I did just to do MY personal best in whether or not I could meet or exceed the work others have done

boxerman

I wasn't going to enter the contest because everyone's pen looked better then mine.
I win I win. I don't I don't. I at least had fun making it. And maybe advance my skills a little bit.

Sylvanite

Gunpowder Pen

Don't try to take this pen through airport security.
GunpowderPen.jpg

It's made from a 338 WinMag shellcase, 338 caliber solid copper bullet, a fired (but undimpled primer), and real gunpowder. The parker-style refill extends with a twist of the bullet, which also unscrews for replacement. The belted case-head is one piece -- the clip extends through a slot cut in the brass.

I hope you like it,
Eric

Andrew_K99

View attachment 56019

It's made from a 338 WinMag shellcase, 338 caliber solid copper bullet, a fired (but undimpled primer), and real gunpowder. The parker-style refill extends with a twist of the bullet, which also unscrews for replacement. The belted case-head is one piece -- the clip extends through a slot cut in the brass.

I hope you like it,
Eric
Ummm, you turned gun powder!?! :eek:

AK

terryf

View attachment 56019

I hope you like it,
Eric

Thats fantastic! Is that nitrocellulose cast in clear resin? I'm assuming very little catalyst so you didnt get a heat problem:confused: which I would imagine would have made for a really exciting casting experience :eek:

Still looks really damn nice!!

renowb

WOW! Nice pen, but a little scary in the making of it.

Way back, when I was around 15, way way back....around 1966 .I got a casting kit for Christmas from Castolite Co. They use to advertise in the Popular Science catalog. Man, I started casting everything! I cast a .22 bullet. Later, I got to thinking, man that stuff gets hot when curing! Fortunately, nothing happened. But still, if someone dropped it and fell just right.....

Sylvanite

Ummm, you turned gun powder!?! :eek:
Yep!

Is that nitrocellulose cast in clear resin? I'm assuming very little catalyst so you didnt get a heat problem:confused: which I would imagine would have made for a really exciting casting experience :eek:
I used Vihtavuori N160 (a slow-burning powder used for several calibers including 338 WinMag) which is a single-base powder composed primarily of nitrocellulose. I didn't cast it. I glued the powder to a brass tube, turned it smooth, and then built up a thick CA finish over the top. The glue did get hot while curing, but not hot enough to ignite.

I'm glad you liked it,
Eric

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Antler, Beaver, and a .308 Win

Ernie: We haven't know each other very long and I don't know if you hunt? I don't know if you've ever shot a .308 , but I was pretty da@?&$D sure I could get your attention with Beaver! The base of this desk pen is cast antler with Gold and Bronze, the cartridge is once fired .308 Win, and the top end, obviously, is deer antler from about a one or two year old!!! AND Oh, YES! The furry band around the middle is Beaver fur!

Attachments

• Antler Beaver and a .308Win_528x1024.jpg
    Antler Beaver and a .308Win_528x1024.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 183
  • Antler Beaver and a .308Win2_1280x762.jpg
    Antler Beaver and a .308Win2_1280x762.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 163

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Looks good Joe. Of course I hunt Bambi, i'm from KY remember:biggrin:. I take 2 weeks vacation every year so I can stock up on summer sausage, deer jerky, deer meat to last the year.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I decided to NOT be defeated. :tongue: So, here is my entry. It is also my first project on my metal lathe. :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_0888.JPG
    IMG_0888.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0889.JPG
    IMG_0889.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0890.JPG
    IMG_0890.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 128

IPD_Mr

Ernie: We haven't know each other very long and I don't know if you hunt? I don't know if you've ever shot a .308 , but I was pretty da@?&$D sure I could get your attention with Beaver! The base of this desk pen is cast antler with Gold and Bronze, the cartridge is once fired .308 Win, and the top end, obviously, is deer antler from about a one or two year old!!! AND Oh, YES! The furry band around the middle is Beaver fur!

Looks like a 3 in 1. Pen, Paper weight and letter opener. Bet you can scratch you back pretty good too! :cool:

Top Bottom