Looking for Jr Gent II Feed Tap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timebandit

I am looking for the Tap for the Jr Gent II front section feed for the fountain pen. I have some #5 Meisternib feeds and the screw directly into the Jr Gent II front section. So in order for me to use them i need the Tap for them. Anyone know exactly what size it is and where i can find it?

Thanks

Justin

PenMan1

Justin:
I think it is a 6.4 X1. I can't read the writing on it anymore.

I missed the last group buy on these and I need a new one too! If you find someone with extras, Please PM me.

Thanks.

Timebandit

Justin, I think it is 6.4mm x .75 if not I think it is 6.4 x .5

Thats what i thought. I thought it was a 6.4mm x .75.

I have scoured for that tap and cant find it anywhere. Please someone tell me they have a secret source for these............if not.........group buy anyone:biggrin:

Or if this is NOT the correct size, someone please correct me.

PenMan1

Justin:
I am looking, trying to find the last group buy post(recent). It will have the JG size listed.

I'm in for a group buy, too!!!!

PenMan1

The wife just came downstairs. She has good eyes.

According to PenWife1, the numbering on the tap is :
TAPCO USA
H 6.4 - .5 04
HS6-26814

This was an OLD group buy with DCBLUESMAN. He is not available, but Tapco has this product information. I think this tap was about $50.

Timebandit

The wife just came downstairs. She has good eyes.

According to PenWife1, the numbering on the tap is :
TAPCO USA
H 6.4 - .5 04
HS6-26814

This was an OLD group buy with DCBLUESMAN. He is not available, but Tapco has this product information. I think this tap was about $50.

YOWSER!!!!! $50....well i guess it is a specialty item:bulgy-eyes:

Timebandit

If it is a M6.4 x .5 I have about 17 left in stock.

The actual number is M6.4-.5 D4 4F TP

Mike this is not the correct size. I have that tap got it form you, its for the smaller Heritance feeds. I just tried the feed in a Jr Gent front section and it did not fit. Looking at the threads on the Heritance feed they are much smaller and finer than the Meisternib or Jr Get feed.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The feed assembly for the Miester nib is m7.4x.5 the jr gent should be m8.4x 1 there is a new jr gent kit that takes a 8mmx.75

Timebandit

The feed assembly for the Miester nib is m7.4x.5 the jr gent should be m8.4x 1 there is a new jr gent kit that takes a 8mmx.75

That is for the larger #6 meisternib feed, i have that, there is a smaller #5 Meisternib feed that is a direct replacement for the Jr Gent feed, it just screws directly in. This is the tap i am looking for.

IPD_Mr

Justin - When I want to use a Heritance feed in a Jr Gent II, I chase the threads with the M6.4 x .5 tap. I have been doing this since 2008 with no issues.

Texatdurango

Mike this is not the correct size. I have that tap got it form you, its for the smaller Heritance feeds. I just tried the feed in a Jr Gent front section and it did not fit. Looking at the threads on the Heritance feed they are much smaller and finer than the Meisternib or Jr Get feed.

Justin if memory serves we went through this same ordeal a few years ago when several of us were wanting to expand our pen making and the smart guys concluded that the threads inside the Jr Gent section like many other kits have a really oddball pitch, one that will have to be ordered.

It's all a little fuzzy now but one member, might have been Brobbins, actually sent a few kit sections in to have the thread pitches measured but at that time no one was really interested in getting taps to match kit sections since we were all going kitless anyway.

Good luck finding the right tap for your kit sections.

Timebandit

Justin - When I want to use a Heritance feed in a Jr Gent II, I chase the threads with the M6.4 x .5 tap. I have been doing this since 2008 with no issues.

Mike im not trying to use the Heritance feeds, i have that tap, and im not trying to use them in kit pens. Im trying to use a Small #5 Meisternib feed, which is a direct replacement for the Jr Gent feed. Just unscrew the Jr Gent feed and Screw this one in. So i am looking for the tap that actually fits the threads for the Jr Gent/Meisternib feed.

Timebandit

Justin if memory serves we went through this same ordeal a few years ago when several of us were wanting to expand our pen making and the smart guys concluded that the threads inside the Jr Gent section like many other kits have a really oddball pitch, one that will have to be ordered.

It's all a little fuzzy now but one member, might have been Brobbins, actually sent a few kit sections in to have the thread pitches measured but at that time no one was really interested in getting taps to match kit sections since we were all going kitless anyway.

Thanks George. I thought it would be an odd ball as i have been searching for it. I am willing to pay for it as i have a bunch of feeds i cant use until i find this tap.

Last edited:

Texatdurango

Mike im not trying to use the Heritance feeds, i have that tap, and im not trying to use them in kit pens. Im trying to use a Small #5 Meisternib feed, which is a direct replacement for the Jr Gent feed. Just unscrew the Jr Gent feed and Screw this one in. So i am looking for the tap that actually fits the threads for the Jr Gent/Meisternib feed.

I wasn't aware that the meister nib was a 100% screw in replacement for the Jr Gent kit. If I were you I would contact Brian and see if sells the taps for the nib/feeds he sells. THAT would be the shortest route to an answer.

Edit: OK, I just read the post above this one and I understand what your after. So you have a few meister nibs and want to cut some threads in a brand new piece of material, I would still contact Brian. When he researched these to see if he wanted to carry them or not he undoubtedly ran across the thread size since he uses them in a lot of his own creations.

Last edited:

Timebandit

I wasn't aware that the meister nib was a 100% screw in replacement for the Jr Gent kit. If I were you I would contact Brian and see if sells the taps for the nib/feeds he sells. THAT would be the shortest route to an answer.

That was my next shot. Just thought someone on here would now or have it. I guess i will email Brian

Thanks Again George

Justin

PenMan1

I had to call IPD_MR to try to clear the cobwebs on this old delima. He seemed clear, I'm still sorta foggy.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
See if this helps you any. It doesnt seem to be what your looking for though.

Attachments

• Meister-5_nib_housings.jpg
    Meister-5_nib_housings.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 205

Timebandit

Those were sent to me as the #5 nib size for Brians feeds.

They kind of look like his, but the first one looks like his #6 feeds. I have a bunch of both #5 and #6 of his and the #6 look like the first picture and the #5 look like the second picture. But there arent and thread sizes on there:frown:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have his website on another page and some of his number 5 feeds look like a courser thread count guestimate would be .75.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Can you put a digital caliper on the thread diameter you need and tell me what size it is?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
That would suggest the threads are m6.5x.75. The plastic threads are a little sloppy and you could use m6.4 x .75 as well. They will not be available through normal tap supply. They will have to be special order. If I can get a hold of one I can measure the thread pitch for sure. It would not be a problem to special order them a dozen at time once I can verify the thread pitch.

Last edited:

Timebandit

That would suggest the threads are m6.5x.75. The plastic threads are a little sloppy and you could use m6.4 x .75 as well. They will not be available through normal tap supply. They will have to be special order. If I can get a hold of one I can measure the thread pitch for sure. It would not be a problem to special order them a dozen at time once I can verify the thread pitch.

Mike if you are talking about getting a hold of the feeds if you need i can send you a Meisternib feed and a Jr Gent feed just to verify the two.

BigShed

Just measured my Jr Gent II feeds, with digital calipers and thread gauge, I make it 6.35mm x 0.75 pitch, can't comment on the Meister #5 as I haven't got any.

Last edited:

soligen

Justin,

6.4 mm is very close to 1/4" and .75 equates to 33.9 TPI. So, you can try a 1/4 x 32TPI tap. The tooling place near me has it for $7.28 (KBC Tool item 1-372-122).

I have not tried this, but I used a 1/4 x 48 TPI instead of M6.4 x .5 - it's not perfect, but it works if I "ream" using the tap to make things a little sloppy.

If you are going to standardize on this feed, I think you will be better off with the right tap long term, but this can get you started and allow you to use what you have for not much money.

BigShed

That 32 tpi would equate to 0.794 or 0.8 pitch and 1/4" is so close to 6.35 that it doesn't matter.

At $7.28 per tap I would be trying that tap out for sure.

Texatdurango

Justin, Since Brian sells the meister nibs to penmakers I would assume he knows for sure what the thread size is, what did he have to say when you asked? His website says they are a direct screw in replacement for the Jr Gent and similar kits.

Timebandit

Justin, Since Brian sells the meister nibs to penmakers I would assume he knows for sure what the thread size is, what did he have to say when you asked? His website says they are a direct screw in replacement for the Jr Gent and similar kits.

George this is what Brian said when i emailed him:

Hi Justin.

Sorry if I'm getting back to you late. I just returned from the DC Pen Show with little internet access.

Im trying to use the #5 feeds that i bought form you and need to know what size tap i need to buy to use your #5 feeds and am having trouble. Can you tell me the size of the threads on these #5 feeds and what size tap would be required for the threads.

I don't use taps or dies for pens, so I've never ordered one for my own use.

I can tell you the the pitch is .5mm. The major diameter is .250".

However, don't just send this information to a company to make you a tap.

I would recommend sending the housing itself to whichever company is making your tap.

This way, you take the responsibility of accurate specs off of yourself, and onto the company.

Best Regards,

So not really much help there. Your experiment yielded a little more help. Upon the recommendation of Mike(who made the suggestion before you told me Victor might have a special tap) i ordered a 1/4 x 34 tap that showed up a couple of days ago, i just havent had a chance to try it out. I will try it today and post my findings. If that tap doesnt work, i will try Victor again and maybe try the tap you suggested.

I will keep you informed.

Justin

Top Bottom