How to do Finial in Trustone for Baron CAP?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I am doing a White Marble Trustone Baron in Chrome fittings. The tubes are done. I have the cut-off from the blank and want to make a custom finial. Three possibilities occur to me;

1. Cut a very thin slice and make a duplicate piece for the top-knot.
  2. Trim the metal cap piece and add a "cup" of the Trustone over the existing metal cap.
  3. Make a replacement cap to fit the tube from Trustone.
If anyone has done this, how did you approach this?

I can't make it closed end because I already finished the tubes. Hindsight 20/20:frown:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

I have done 1 and 3. Personally, I like the look of #3 more than the look of #1 but it requires being good with glue AND, it doesn't hurt to put a relief hole in the tenon that goes in the tube for the tip of the nib or pen.

Brooks803

1 sounds like the best option at this time. Option 3 would look the best IMO but to get a perfect fit between the cap and finial you'd have to turn it all as one piece like a closed end and then part it off to keep it flush and flowing.

randyrls

I have done 1 and 3. Personally, I like the look of #3 more than the look of #1 but it requires being good with glue AND, it doesn't hurt to put a relief hole in the tenon that goes in the tube for the tip of the nib or pen.

Thanks Hans; I hadn't thought of the relief hole under the cap. Maybe 2 would be the best choice. While turning the cap might be the way to go, I might need to try this with scrap pieces first.

I've done some Baron closed-end pens, and I have some extra finials.

randyrls

It's possible that I don't understand your question completely :confused: but couldn't you do it like this ..

http://content.penturners.org/library/techniques/custom_finial.pdf

as detailed in JohnCrane's article in the library..... also as done by Turbowagon in his tutorial in the library somewhere.

Did I miss something? :bulgy-eyes: :)

Lenny; nope, you didn't miss anything, but I didn't like the look of the result. Sorry; just my personal preference.

Lenny

It's possible that I don't understand your question completely :confused: but couldn't you do it like this ..

http://content.penturners.org/library/techniques/custom_finial.pdf

as detailed in JohnCrane's article in the library..... also as done by Turbowagon in his tutorial in the library somewhere.

Did I miss something? :bulgy-eyes: :)

Lenny; nope, you didn't miss anything, but I didn't like the look of the result. Sorry; just my personal preference.

No need to appologize .. see, I think I did miss something.:)
Can you explain what you want to do differently ?
I've only done a few and would be curious to know if there is a different or better way of doing it. :)

randyrls

No need to appologize .. see, I think I did miss something.:)
Can you explain what you want to do differently ?
I've only done a few and would be curious to know if there is a different or better way of doing it. :)

I want the look of a hidden clip where the clip just sticks out of the material. I've tried a few and wasn't pleased with my ability to make a slot that fine in a finished blank.

randyrls

Ok, now I understand. :tongue::cool:
Would love to see the results when you are successful! :)

Lenny; I started to turn down the cap on the lathe last night.

I'll post a photo and details when finished. It may be a week or so. My schedule is very tight for the next week. My scheduler color codes entries and the next week looks like a Christmas Tree!

Top Bottom