Aluminum vs Copper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

There is a lot of different tools we all need to make kit-less pens So I'm asking the turners who have made kilts pens which metal is easier to work with for making mandrels sin the below picture. The picture below is what i'am trying to make. solid Aluminum or solid copper?

the picture is from Martin Pens.

Attachments

• 10-x-1-mandrels.jpg
    10-x-1-mandrels.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 593
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

I have access to local stock bar metal in aluminum and brass rods. The brass is a little easier to work than the aluminum, in my opinion, but the aluminum is cheaper. As for solid copper rod .... good luck finding that. I know I can get thick copper wire, but that's not suitable for use as a mandrel, it's too soft.

BradG

Aluminium has a tendancy to bend, but it depends on why you want to make a mandrel. if it's for sanding and finishing etc then an Al one would be fine.

Skie, I have 1" round bar copper stock on my shelf. available from most metal merchants.

Mandrels are generally made from stainless.

Skie_M

Oh, yes, mandrels are usually made from stainless steel, so that finishing your items on the lathe won't corrode the metals, ect ....

Though for quick and easy bead work, I went ahead and made a short mandrel out of some 1/4 inch aluminum rod (had to sand it down to fit my 7MM bushings on it). It works like a champ .... coated it with some turtle wax so that the superglue doesn't stick as bad. :)

Top Bottom