THE 2008 UGLY PEN CONTEST!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

The Ugly Pen Contest

This is not a serious contest, although in many ways it may resemble one. It is a contest for serious penturners to use to blow off some steam! Reading anything more into it can lead down that dark and dangerous path to madness!

There will be judges, though you won’t know who they are; and there will be prizes, though I haven’t determined what they might be as of yet! Foremost, this contest involves showing strange and disgusting things that somewhat resemble pens, so that we can all make rude comments to each other about them! And with that, the rules:

1) Your entry must be a pen, i.e. If you could bring yourself to handle it, it would theoretically write.

2) You may submit up to two entries, although I can’t imagine why you would want to admit to making this mistake more than once!

3) Entries are submitted by posting up to three images of the pen-like item, with or without accompanying story, in the special “Ugly Pen Contest†topic, part of the Birthday Bash Forum (the topic you are reading right now!).

4) Anyone may post comments about the entries, although no fights will be allowed, as there are numerous other normal topics available for that!

5) Entries will be accepted from Sunday the 13th of January until Midnight (The Witching Hour) Eastern time on Sunday the 27th of January. Winners will then be posted on the 31st of January. The judge’s decision will be final!

6) Prizes will be awarded in five categories:
  • a) Worst looking normal pen. This is the category for those who tried to make a nice pen, but it turned out ugly!
  • b) Most technically advanced ugly pen. This category is for those pens that look like they’re from the future, but are still ugly!
  • c) Most disgusting pen. This is for those of you with the perverse sense of humor, but please, I don’t want to see a whole string of Ca-ca pens, and no human reproductive organ pens! Remember, this is a family site!
  • d) Most unusual material. Inventive use of non-traditional materials is King in this category!
  • e) Just Butt Ugly Pen. This is kind of the all-encompassing category for the entry that is truly just the ugliest around!
7) A single entry may win more than one prize, in other words, winning in one category does not disqualify the entry from winning in another category.

8) All entry images and comments become the property of the IAP, to use, or dispose of, as they wish. Yes, blackmail a few years from now is a definite possibility!

Now, lets start seeing some entries!

Daniel

I nominate Ed's mug shot for category e. it does not appear at first to be able to write. But closer observation reveals it has definitely left it's mark.

Chuck Key

Ooops, hit the ugly button. Let me try this again:

Mont Blanc gone bad...

20081142056_ugly4.jpg

Should fit in one of the categories.

Chuckie

NCWoodworker

I found what I thought was a perfect antler to do something *unique*. Well, unique it is, but I have not heard much good about it besides that. :-( The first person I showed it to asked me what the #&*$^*& I was thinking :) After that, I was offered the following comments..and I quote:
  • "you would certainly know if someone took it from your desk!"
  • "you wasted the material on something really nasty looking"
  • "I don't think it's something I'd want."
  • "Ugly"
  • ---and the best response---
    "I wouldn't waste the match or the effort to light it but if after dissassembling it to save the kit I saw a bon fire I wouldn't hesitate to toss it on it....Every once in a while the IAP has a contest for the ugliest pen.
    I would submit this one and then look for a bonfire."

...soo...after a few in agreement with the last comment...here it is for all to marvel :)
/forum/albums/ncwoodworker/antler2.jpg

and a few more

Happy Birthday, IAP :D
Chris

mdburn_em

My mom is grandmaBee. One of the Grandkids gave her this pen. It ran out of ink and I couldn't find a refill. I modified it into a modified slimline. I look at it and shake my head every time. Mom loves it though and it's the one she uses all the time. All of the other, nice looking pens I've given her, and this is her favorite. *sigh*

200811434559_UglyBee.jpg

THarvey

Originally posted by mdburn_em

My mom is grandmaBee. One of the Grandkids gave her this pen. It ran out of ink and I couldn't find a refill. I modified it into a modified slimline. I look at it and shake my head every time. Mom loves it though and it's the one she uses all the time. All of the other, nice looking pens I've given her, and this is her favorite. *sigh*

200811434559_UglyBee.jpg

I don't know if this fits the "ugly pen" contest, as much as it is a ugly story.

On the other hand, if you turn pens that even your mother doesn't like...

... You might have a winner in there. [:eek:)]

Scott

Oh My! To wake up on a Monday morning and have to see all this ugliness! :D

First, an official announcement: Please, when you post on this Ugly Pen Forum, and you hit the "Reply with Quote" button, delete as much stuff out of the "quoted" area as possible and still make your point! (Like maybe only include one picture, and delete out any text you don't need.) It hurts enough to see these entries once, but over-and-over again starts to affect the brain! [8D]

Chuckie and Chris - Those are certainly enough to provoke nightmares, and they are currently leading in their categories! But I fear you are only goading others on to more sinister and distasteful work! Good job! [:p]

Rick! At first blush I would have to say that pen is way too pretty! But then as you look at it, it kind of makes your skin crawl. Nice choice!

Come on everybody! Confession (or is that confusion?) is good for the soul! Get those ugly pens out, and start taking pictures!

I can tell that this is just the beginning of a very UGLY January! [8D]

Scott.

sparhawk

I made this pen thinking it was a good idea but after posting in the soyp section, and hearing everyones opinion on the matter I decided I agree with the forum. Butt ugly was about the nicest thing said. [xx(]So maybe now this pens day has come.:DRemember,its all about the finials. ;)

2008114202611_scare1.jpg

GaryMGg

I only had a couple of minutes to make this pen. WhuddIwin?!?

My first decal casting:

2008114205649_walnuted.jpg

I should note that I used the photo I did for the decal because I couldn't find one of me and I recall this is a family forum and really didn't want to give the children nightmares. ;)

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by GaryMGg

My first decal casting:

I should note that I used the photo I did for the decal because I couldn't find one of me and I recall this is a family forum and really didn't want to give the children nightmares. ;)

Well you blew that one then didn't you now!!

200811511356_atombomb.gif

We all had nightmares the first time that was posted and now you want to put it on a pen??? I won't be able to turn for weeks. :(

[:X] Mrs.

melogic

Scott,
I hope you know a good therapist, I think you are going to need to talk to someone after looking at all of these ugly pens! [xx(][:p];) Do the judges get paid hazardous duty pay for this contest? (I think they should.)

Please keep the entries coming in!

Scott

Landon â€" That IS a revolting piece of wood! And you went and made a pen out of it! [:p]

Hugo â€" Your entry has me at a loss for words! Is that a pen or a nose-picker? “Remember, its all about the finials.†Yes, it sure is! [:p]

Gary â€" If that’s a real pen, I want to see a picture of you holding it in your hand! That is if you think it won’t harm you! That is gruesome! [:p]

I will go see if I can dredge up some of the Ugly Pen pictures from last year. But I don’t know if it will provide inspiration, or revulsion!

Come on people! Fess up, and post those pictures of your worst efforts! We all turn ugly pens SOMETIMES, unless you’re me (oh wait, this isn’t the Liar’s Club Contest!). [8D]

Scott.

Rmartin

Hurray! The ugliest pen contest; my favorute time of the year!

I'll let everyone have their moment before I post a winner this weekend. The problem for me, is going to be narrowing it down to just two entries.

pianomanpj

Originally posted by GaryMGg

My first decal casting:

Gary,
The only thing turning now is my stomach.[xx(] Sheesh...[:eek:)]

wudnhed

Ok, here is my first entry. I was really bugged on what to do[:p]. It morphed into I don't even know what[?][?][?][?] Yes, it writes [}:)]

200811717480_bug.jpg

Top Bottom