Wood for Christmas ornaments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RKB

RKB

I am looking for suggestions on what species of wood to use to make some simple 1 piece Christmas ornaments, that I can get promptly? I was thinking it should be a light weight wood.
Thanks
Rod

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Rod -- I tend to avoid construction lumber because of the hard-soft nature of the wide rings.

Poplar, soft maple, boxelder, beech, willow are all good to use for any of the more direct of the ornaments.

Christmas Tree Ornament YouTube Video Posted *LINK* *PIC*

This style of ornament has lots of possibilities -- and uses light weight, low budget woods an can look pretty snazzy -- an can be a fancy as you want to put the thought into.

Jim Burr

Banned
JMHO...maple is always cool...takes dye well, burn lines, inlays...good all around chunk of wood.

juteck

Maple, cherry, and poplar are good, but I also use rosewoods and exotics. I've even made birdhouse ornaments using Lignum vitae. Depending on the style of ornament you make, you might have options to lighten the weight by hollowing.

Branch wood works really well, and I've just found a new admiration for red cedar. Holly is fantastic if you can get some tree trimmings. I've even gotten pieces of people's Christmas trees and made them ornaments from it for the following year.

I do think that the lighter colored ornaments look better in the tree. The darker ornaments tend to get lost.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Rod:

I'll second Maple! Easy to get, low cost, a light color, nice to turn!

If you are turning between centers, I like to have the grain going left - to right.

If you want to consider easy segmented pieces, walnut and maple are a great combination.

If you need some... PM Me. :)

Mark

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
BOW (Bethlehem Olive Wood) is my favorite go-to wood for ornaments but I also use most of those that others have mentioned above in addition to pecan and huisache.

Cherry and maple are great for making ornaments. Maple, especially, has great availability and it's price is affordable. I made a few wood ornaments made of maple a couple of years ago and they're still in great condition today.

Top Bottom