Sharing time...only look if you like to sell!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GoodTurns

GoodTurns

I was messing around with another project on my incredibly unorganized workbench and corks from that project walked across the bench and sat down next to some Pill Holder Keychains (CSUSA Deluxe Pill Holder - Woodturners Catalog - Woodworking tools and supplies specializing in woodturning. )

the wandering corks are an almost exact fit for the tubes on this kit! Drill, ease the corners, CA finish, press and done. I bought a box of corks on Ebay, culled it for ones with cool designs/pictures, then sold the remainder on Ebay for what I paid!

I now keep a tray of these near the register in my booth and can't keep them in stock at $30 a pop. If you do wine shows, these absolutely kill.

Kits with group buy, approx $4; cork, about $0.10; total time, 15 minutes?.... works on just about any business model! (even if you buy the whole bottle of "Two Buck Chuck", your cost is only about $6!, and you have an excuse to drink more wine!)

Attachments

• Two Buck Chuck Compartment Keychain-small.jpg
    Two Buck Chuck Compartment Keychain-small.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,635

MarkD

That's a great idea! I have a box full of corks I that were waiting for a idea :biggrin:
Thanks Jon!

GoodTurns

At 6 bucks you afford to give them away to someone spending over a certain amount. Nice calling card if it is stamped with your contact info.

there are cork manufacturers who will make custom corks...not sure of minimums....

I also have a display with instructions for ordering custom ones with "Your Favorite Wine"...have them send in TWO corks and a check, they get back 1 keychain. (2 corks because the fail rate when drilling spongy material is pretty bad!)

ctubbs

Jon, thanks for sharing your helpful ideas. Do you stay up nights to come up with these ideas or do they just pop out full blown?
Charles

Haynie

Jon, thanks for sharing your helpful ideas. Do you stay up nights to come up with these ideas or do they just pop out full blown?
Charles

Only if he uses a laxative, other wise he has to work a little.:biggrin::biggrin:

Had to say it.

Gary Beasley

The corks just might drill better with a hollow tube type bit like printshops use in thier paper drill. If you can find the right size the end is sharpened with the bevel inside, done with a countersink like bit as it turns on the drill press. Wax the outside of the tube when drilling to reduce heat buildup and grabbing.

robutacion

Oh came on John, couldn't you come up with a better excuse to justify your wine drinking...????:wink:

BTW, the best ideas are generally the simplest ones, well done...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

GoodTurns

Jon, how does the CA finish work with the "give" that corks have? Does it crack?

when the tube is installed, there is much less give. they have not cracked under a "squeeze" but I have not put any great pressure on them. no complaints from the couple of dozen I sold last fall.

GoodTurns

got a little time to make a few more

latest batch.... the ones you can't read are quotes from philosophers about wine (unknown Portuguese winery) one side has the quote in Portuguese, English on the opposite. Just an idea of what kinds of corks are available!

Attachments

• corks.jpg
    corks.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 661

MarkD

They look great Jon!
I tried a few myself over the weekend using corks from some of the local NY wineries. The people I have showed them to think they are great! Thanks for the great tip!

NC Wood Art

How about if you tried to freeze them overnight before drilling them? Not sure it would matter but may make them harder for those few minutes to drill.

Great Idea will be doing a few tonight myself!

Bill

NC Wood Art

Stopped by local vineyard today with one of these I made with their logo cork, they liked it & I may now have a new customer for my custom pens & these keyring corks, I used the secret compartment kit in 24K gold & gave it to owner with a business card, after brief conversation about the keyring he asked about custom pens! I will have to send you a commission for your idea! On a side note to make an extra special feature I plan to part off & square both ends of the corks & a a small piece of burl turned to size of od of cork. This will add a hard surface for each end & add a twist of a special looking wood end pieces. I did not make picture of my keyring before giving it to owner but will take pictures of the experimental ones I build with the burl end caps.

Bill Holland

micharms

Great idea Jon. I've been trying to find something suitable for a little boutique winery nearby so I might have to give these a shot. What is the length of the tube for these. I'm finding quite a bit of variation in the length of the corks from the bottles I open for my wife:biggrin:

Michael

GoodTurns

Delivered a batch Saturday to the local winery that has contracted for a bunch of these.... bonus was a case of wine (and a bunch more corks for the next batch!).

corian king

Great job!!
I have done quite a few of these and some pens.My daughter manages a
(fine wine and cheese) resturaunt.They sell all types of local and imported wines.
some of the wine cost over 400.00 a bottle.Anyway she brings me home bags full of corks and I sort through them and get out the really nice ones to make stuff with.
She sells the pens,keyrings and bottle stoppers at work for me.
Keep up the great work!!

pensmyth

Well Jon,
I did have a box of wine corks and I was wondering what I could do with them. Saw this post and said HEY! I have some of the key rings too! Out to the garage I go and start rummaging through my stash and an hour later TA DA!
I chucked them up in my Barracuda 4 jaw and drilled them with a forstner bit.
Made a nice true hole snug enough I almost didn't need to glue the tubes.
Thanks for rattling my marbles and showing me a really cool idea. These will make awesome gifts for my friends and family wine drinkers.

Attachments

• key ringjpeg.jpeg
    key ringjpeg.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:

McBryde

Jon, that's so funny that you would make a key chain out of a wine cork. I was at my mother-in-law's this past weekend and she actually saves her wine corks. and then I found out my sister-in-law does the same thing. This would make a great gift idea for people like them.
Nice job and very creative.

donpratt

Durability

This is such a cool idea and they look great.

Now that everyone has been doing these for a couple months, how durable are these turning out to be? My sister-in-law is getting married at a winery later this year. I was thinking about making a batch of these for some (or all) of the guests, but don't want to give them something that'll be crumbling after a couple weeks.

Thanks.

bjbear76

Bringing up an old topic.......has anybody else made these without a CA finish? I kinda like the natural cork look myself but wonder if they would start to crumble over time. Optional finishes: just a quick wipe or two of thin CA? How about spray a coat of clear lacquer?

Top Bottom