A project in progress...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from robutacion

robutacion

Hi peoples,

I'm always working on something, sometimes I start and finish in one go (the way I like) but, other times, it doesn't happen that way and it can take some time before I think in continue on with it.

This is the case with some Crows Ash pods that I cast, some time ago, just a few days after Neil (Di Sensai) spend a few days with us, from is all around Australia trip.

We were down in the workshop and talking about stuff when he spotted a box I had with these pods that were send by a friend some time prior. I shown him some of the blanks/casting I had done with these pods, such as this one Crows Ash pod castings-1.JPG and this one 008t.JPG and many more when, all of a certain, he started to pile one on top of each other but using an arrangement order that, I had tried before but only with a couple of pods.

As he was going higher and re-arranging their position in the stack, we both had an idea at the same time and both spoke at the same time, which sounded like gibberish...!:eek::biggrin:

Interestingly enough, he both had identical ideas, Neil saying that, it would look good cast as a lamp pedestal body, while I say it as a lamp itself, with inside illumination.

We continued on with other stuff as the pods were put away. A few day later, I started thinking on what did happen that day and, with a fresh new 20lt drum received that morning, I decided to prepare the pods for casting and that evening, the pressure pot received a mold as tall as it could fit, I would prefer to have a couple more rows on it but, it wasn't possible with my size pot.

I wanted the cast in clear resin and some of the pod ends (fingers) had to be cut off as they wouldn't fit in a 4" poly pipe I was using as a mold. I trim those ends on the disc sander and some how, it burn the cut, not that makes any difference as that will be turned out slightly.

You can see the date on the first pics I took, from when I cast this thing.
033.JPG

So, what am I going to do with it...???

Well, the idea is to drill the inside and put some nice light inside, it needs to not produce much heat so, and after a lot of searching, I come up with this "monster" that makes some pretty special effects. 004.JPG

Before the light is inserted, I want to drill some long holes, maybe about 8 to 10mm round, in between the pods fingers and following its angles, the idea is to created a different colour effect with resin, all around and that will be enhanced when the light is turned on, I may use illuminous powder, not sure yet.

The main lamp body is this cast and will be maintained cylindrical however, the base and to cap, will be made of wood, possibly the Eucalyptus Dure imitating the black Ebony. The shape and size of the base and cap, is not yet determine and I may not know until I put a chunk of wood in the lathe and take it for a spin, the base will have some shapes but not to high, the top cap, I'm thinking of something about 1" thick and not yet sure if I want to leave it without any fancy shapes or, if I go for some sort of finial but not a very pointed one.

006.JPG 008.JPG 005.JPG

I have this cast where I see it every day and I haven't got the urge to grab and finish it, I have the special bulb so, I can process any time I feel like but, I have far too much going on at the moment to worry about it, I just decided to take a few more pics today and share with you all, this project that one day, everyone will see finished and if I'm correct, it should look a very interesting piece, that the wife already claimed, as usual...!:wink::biggrin:

What do you reckon...???

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

...personally I reckon I like the Burl caps in the background! As far as lighting, I believe a rotating color changing light would show off you work very well as it constantly sends
beams of colored light through the drilled holes. Be well.....Jan

Last edited:

robutacion

...personally I reckon I like the Burl caps in the background! As far as lighting, I believe a rotating color changing light would show off you work very well as it constantly sends
beams of colored light through the drilled holes. Be well.....Jan

Well, you may the right but, my light is not a rotating one so, the effects will be different. Your idea would work, also...!

As for the burl caps on the background, its a commision job for the same fellow that I dome the other 3 pieces a few months back, I was supposed to have then done in March but I forgot all about it so, I brought them in to the workshop and in a place where I will see them everyday, reminding me that I have to create something out of them but, I like to feel in the mood for it and I have been focussing on other work but, I have to sit down with these burls and have a little yarn with them to see what they would like to be, well not exactly but close enough...!

Will see what I come up with, very soon...!

Cheers
George

SDB777

A 'yarn'? That is awesome some one has the ability to use the language in such a fashion....AWESOMER!!!

Seriously, the project is really cool! Where in the world do you come up with these ideas? I'd like to be a fly on the wall...seem to be a step behind with everyone here.

Scott (okay, I stink at thinking) B

robutacion

A 'yarn'? That is awesome some one has the ability to use the language in such a fashion....AWESOMER!!!

Seriously, the project is really cool! Where in the world do you come up with these ideas? I'd like to be a fly on the wall...seem to be a step behind with everyone here.

Scott (okay, I stink at thinking) B

G'day Scott,

Hahaha mate, here in the land of OZ, we do and say "strange" things, and while unnoticed among Aussie born folks, those that are not, such as myself that were already a mature person when arriving here (I was 30 and I'm now 56, not feeling a day older than 106...!), have adapted and now using the "slang" also without noticing so, I understand how other English spoken countries can find it "funny" but believe me, you folks in the USA, have also a good share of "slang" that get me confused sometimes but I'm getting better at it...!

The "yarn" word in this case, is used quite often when the meaning is a quite/private/friendly "conversation/exchange of thoughts" in a relaxed environment.

As for talking to wood, some would call it being "screwed in the head" however, talking to those that are used to turn bigger pieces of wood, and create "things from wood that aren't your everyday item, they would validate this theory/reality, as a normal "thing" and the main inspiration for most of what the piece of wood will turn up to be, in the end. It may not make much sense but, it is a reality for many of us...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

OK, now for the big question, how much for one of those blanks?:biggrin:

Joe

G'day Joe,

Well mate, I didn't think in making these for sale, not like the big one, the shipping alone would be significant as it is heavy however, if you are interested in me making a identical blank/cast for you, I have no problem in doing another one as I have some pods here and some resin so, no problems there.

It would be a lot cheaper to send you the pods, they are very light weight, and you could then cast it yourself or have someone near you with a pot that could do the job, the mold is only a piece of 4" light PVC with a plug glued at the bottom.

I'm not sure if Customs will allow the pods (no seeds on them) to get through, I see why not and you can't reproduce the tree with only the pods so, is up to you if you want that option or something else. Let me know and I will work the details...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom