A challange

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mredburn

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I was asked if I could make a clip of a M16. I was provided a picture and decided it was a fun thing to try to do, just to do it. I used the picture to design the clip and drew it in my cad program. I have about 10 hours just in the drawing of it. the pictures below show the clip milled out of wax and then cast in silver. I use a .1mm cutter to cut the wax, step over on the cutter is .0025mm. It makes the first cut and then moves over .0025 of a millimeter and makes another and so on until its done. It takes about 2 hours for the machine to cut the wax. from there it goes through the lost wax process and you can see the final results. Its 1 3/4 inches long and about 10mm tall. Enjoy.
m16%2525202a.JPG

m1%25256061a.JPG

the cast in silver piece.
m153a.JPG

m152a.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Nice work Mike, did you use MeshCam to cut it? Thats when you need a mill like Jeff got, with a 8 to 35 thousand RPM spindle, My Taig is out at 9,875

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Nice work Mike, did you use MeshCam to cut it? Thats when you need a mill like Jeff got, with a 8 to 35 thousand RPM spindle, My Taig is out at 9,875

I cut it on a Taig. I use Rhino and Rhinocam with 4th axis for my cad/cam programs. The 10,000 rpm +/- is all you need for this cutter. The cut speed per inch is about 15-17 inches per minute. Although I was running it slower than that for this piece. about 11 ipm.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
HEHeh, Yep. the first one is always the worst. Usually I dont have that many hours in a clips design work. Most the time I can do it in under half an hour. The detail some of which you cant see is what makes the difference. This project was just to prove I could do it and to improve my skills in the program. It has the hieght adjuster wheel and windage knob for the rear site. Heres a pdf of the drawing.

Attachments

• m16 clip 1st try.pdf
    82.4 KB · Views: 188
  • Fullscreen capture 932011 74100 AM.bmp.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 932011 74100 AM.bmp.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 138

Woodlvr

Mike that is total attention to detail. Totally awesome. How soon will these be ready? The price was about $2.99 each right:eek::rolleyes: Just kidding of course.

workinforwood

The pdf does me no good, the Mach 3 file would be better! I'd like to cut one out for grins and giggles, not for resale. I have nothing programmed. I got a design but can't figure out how to extrude it, software either crashes or has an error code. I did join all my lines. It may need to be rendered before extruding, I thought render and extrude same thing but maybe not. I got new PC and 2 monitors now and Ed printed the manual so I think I need to try some of the tutorials. I doubt there's anything wrong but user error.

Last edited:
Top Bottom