Bodark Stopper segmented with Padauk.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rossvh

rossvh

A friend gave me some Bodark (I always thought it was Osage orange or Hedge - but in Oklahoma - it's Bodark). I've made some pens with it and it really is nice (especially cross-grain), but I had an order for a wine stopper and decided to try Bodark. Frankly - I'm beginning to really like turning this because it is so hard but really easy to turn. And the segmented Padauk sets it off even more. As always - comments and critiques welcomed and encouraged.
RossVH

Attachments

• Bodark & Paduak Wine Stopper closeup.jpg
    Bodark & Paduak Wine Stopper closeup.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 158
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

williaty

Funny that I should see this discussion about the name of the Osage Orange/Bodark tree. Yesterday, I looked up the lyrics to a James McMurtry song because I couldn't tell exactly what kind of fencepost he was referring to in the song. I was very confused to see that the lyrics claimed bois d'arc, French for "bow-wood". The Osage Indians made bows out of the tree so the first European explorers in the area named it "that tree those guys make bows from". Of course, being Americans, over the years we've mangled bois d'arc into Bodark. I have no idea how we, in the north, have managed to name the thing after the Osage Indians rather than what they did with it (like you southerners do), but there you go. Language is always weird.

Top Bottom