Yikes! My Vacuum is Leaking Oil!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnGreco

I noticed a wet spot a week ago near the backside of the pump but thought it was some cactus juice I spilled. Cleaned it up, ran another batch the other day and noticed more was there and the oil level in my pump decreasing.

Any thoughts on a common problem/fix here? A gasket that tends to go or anything? Aside from the leak it runs well so I'd hate to have to replace it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnGreco

Pitoon- really no complaints. I've gone through about 4 gallons of cactus juice and aside from the newly formed leak it is still going.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If its at the back of the pump housing and not the motor housing you may have a gasket leaking from a tear or warpage of the front housing.. Im not sure where you would find a gasket for them or if anyone carries parts for them. If nothing else you can always just keep the oil refilled as you go. Thats as long as the leak doesnt get bigger. Hopefully it hasnt devoloped a crack.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You can try the bolts to see if they have come loose or if the gasket has just shrunk you might be able to tighten them up. You might also be able to use a tube of silicone gasket material to fix it but you will have to remove the housing clean it and make sure you have it squeaky clean before you apply the silicone gasket.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Are you sure it is a leak and not oil that has been spit out from the exhaust? If you are turning off your pump with any load on it (while still under vacuum), then the next time you start it up, it will spit oil. With the design of the HF exhaust, you may not see it spit but it could be collecting, running down the cover, and dripping on the floor.

If you are sure this is not the case, then take the end cap off the pump (after draining oil) and check that the gasket is not messed up as Mike suggests.

JohnGreco

I run a hose from the exhaust port to outside of my shop, so I don't think that would be it. It's beginning to sound more and more like I need to just get another though. Now where did I put that 25% off coupon...

frank123

Not familiar with that particular pump, but looking at the parts diagram it looks like the only tow points subject to leakage are the oil drain and a seal at the other end where it mounts to the motor.

Assuming no cracked casting or anything.

Shouldn't be hard to locate and repair, make sure everything is tight first since a loose bolt could cause it as well. Pretty simple looking pump overall, total disassembly wouldn't be needed as far as I can tell from the diagram.

Top Bottom