Stabilizing wet material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

siric

Hi,

I have a bamboo like grass that I would like to use for pens. Unlike Bamboo it is not hollow, but it contains a lot of moisture. If I dry it completely, it shrinks down from about 1" in diameter to about 1/2"; too small for pens.

Question is..if I were to stabilize this while it was wet, would I still get the shrinkage problem when I bake it after applying the resin?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Hintz

Stabilizing while wet really doesn't work. For stabilizers like Resinol (Cactus Juice), the heat needed to polymerize the resin will cause issues as you release the moisture. For self-polymerizing resins (Silmar, etc.) you'll run into issues with water attacking the resin itself and making it cloudy.

I have used Pentacryl on wet/green wood to get it ready for turning. It kind of replaces the water with this material. I just let it soak for about a week (pen size blanks) and then let it dry for 2 weeks or more. I suppose you could use a vacuum system and it would not take as long.

The wood still shrinks a little but not as much as just letting it dry. I use it a lot for larger size pieces of green wood it really prevents cracking well.

Mike

1080Wayne

Think your best solution would be to cast Alumilite around the dry material , drill for the tubes as long as they are less than 1/2 inch , then turn to size . When sanded and polished the plastic will act as a magnifying glass on the outside surface of the material , giving you what I think you want . With care , it should be possible to get a cigar out of a 1/2 inch blank with this approach . If the inside of the material is what you want to see , you are probably restricted to a slimline .

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Think your best solution would be to cast Alumilite around the dry material , drill for the tubes as long as they are less than 1/2 inch , then turn to size . When sanded and polished the plastic will act as a magnifying glass on the outside surface of the material , giving you what I think you want . With care , it should be possible to get a cigar out of a 1/2 inch blank with this approach . If the inside of the material is what you want to see , you are probably restricted to a slimline .
If there is any moisture in it, it will react with the Alumilite and form bubbles and turn white.

1080Wayne

If there is any moisture in it, it will react with the Alumilite and form bubbles and turn white.
Absolutely , it must be dry .

Top Bottom