"Double" Dye

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

From the way I have heard it described, you would take your blanks and stabilizing solution in your first color, soak your blanks in it either without vacuum or very little, with only partial penetration, remove the blanks, let as much solution drain off, and cure the stabilizing. Now that part will not accept any more stabilizing, but the un penetrated areas will take a second round. The second time, with a different color, pull a full vacuum so the stabilizing fully penetrates the wood, then cure it. When turned,you will have areas that have both colors....

mhbeauford

I soak in first color without vacuum, drain and cure in oven. I lightly sand all 4 faces on a belt sander just to remove the "skin" of resin that sometimes cures on the surface. Put into second color and vacuum, remove vacuum and let soak, drain and cure. This works especially well on porous woods. I have used it on spalted box elder, hackberry and pear. Also on Big Leaf Maple Burl. Some of my favorite colors are blue/red, blue/black, red/black. Some areas will be distinct of one color or the other and some areas will be a mix, ie red/blue will have some violet areas.

Top Bottom