Casting Over a Decal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

I printed a decal with an inkjet printer on sticker paper with the intent to cast a thin layer of clear over it. Do I need to over the decal with a layer of CA glue first to protect it? If so, I will let the CA offgas for several days before I cast the clear over it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sschering

I don't know about an inkjet but I did try CA over a laser printed decal.. The CA stripped the toner right off the paper..

Jim Burr

Banned
I use inkjet printed decals, but haven't cast over them. The decals must be sealed before application!! I always finish with CA, thin them medium. Works so far but there are others that will chime in with what works for them.

cwolfs69

i have actually cast over clear decals as well. i spray with Krylon "Crystal Clear" acrylic spray after the decal has set and dried for 24 hours. they come out great.

bruce119

When I did my blanks I would put 2 coats of CA on let gas out for 2 days then cast.

The problem I found if not sealed. The resin seeped in on the seam and you got that transparent wet look....and don't forget the ends of the tubes.
Good Luck

montmill

I tried to cast with alumilite over a decal on wood and had nothing but trouble. I even put the blank with decal in a toaster oven to dry it down and still the alumilite bubbled up. If I try again I'll use Silmar 41. I'm told that's more tolerant of moisture.

Montmill

jhawth25

talking decals, has anyone ever tried a clear address label instead of a decal? just wondering if it would work, wouldn't have to worry about it not sticking.

I use the full sheet adress labels on a injet printer without any problems. I have attached photos.

Attachments

• 1011395_10152024201205558_1583472067_n.jpg
    1011395_10152024201205558_1583472067_n.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 228
  • 547022_10152216976065558_405932831_n.jpg
    547022_10152216976065558_405932831_n.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 250

Pjohnson

I agree with the Krylon sealant before casting.
My challenge has always been hiding the seam ...

John - looks like you solved it, Can you share your process?

bruce119

A good way to to hide the seam is try and make it part of the design or at least avoid a straight line. The eye picks up on a straight line...something to think about.

paintspill

so i tried the clear shipping labels and pulled it out of the cast last night and it looks like hell. there appears to be a separation between the resin and the label. i clear coated the label with krylon clear spray before casting.

back to the drawing board for me.

jhawth25

A good way to to hide the seam is try and make it part of the design or at least avoid a straight line. The eye picks up on a straight line...something to think about.

1. I spray paint the tube white.
2. I copy the picture into Power Point and resize it. H = 2.9" and W = 2.6,
these measurements are used as a starting point . I will tweak the image
if the image does not look proportional.
3. I use Avery clear full sheet labels from Office Depot to print the image on.
Since I use full label sheets, I print multiple images onto a sheet. I
average about 10 images per sheet. Note: I try to use an image with black
on the border to help hide the seam.
4. I usually let the ink dry for 24 hours since I am impatient. The longer the
ink has time to dry the less likely the ink will smear while you are trying to
adhere it to the tube. I noticed if there is a lot of black color in the
picture it needs to dry longer. This may just be my printer.
5. I trim the picture to fit the tube and perform test fits.
6. After the fit is to my liking, I adhere the image to the tube and then cast
it.

I used the clip to hide the seam.

labels: Avery Clear Inkjet Labels Full Sheet 8 12 x 11 Box Of 25 by Office Depot

crokett

I used an address label but I couldn't see the image on the pen. I am doing this over a blank that is already turned and polished. This is a logo pen for a customer. I sure hope the clear casting works. I was dumb and when I did the cating only poured one blank. I should have done two of them.

lweers

Casting over a white address label problem

I have been trying different things to cast a logo that was printed on a white address label and I haven't had success yet.

The first 3 attempts (one casting)

1. I sprayed the tube with 3m super 77 spray adhesive
2. I then put 3 coats of Mod Podge over the top
3. After drying for 24 hours I then cast in silmar and the mod podge appeared to lift.

Attempt number 2
1. Sprayed tube with white enamel spray paint.

2 and 3 Same first two steps as above, but then sprayed with an high gloss acrylic spray (Wal Mart brand) Let dry for 24 hours. Made a single tube mold and cast.

Failure in that the epoxy did not adhere to the acrylic coating and the whole tube slides in and out.

Attempt number 3

Same steps as above, but I sanded the tube lightly to remove some of the gloss. This on the tube moves in and out from under the label.

Any hints? I doing this for a Christmas gift.

cwolfs69

I have been trying different things to cast a logo that was printed on a white address label and I haven't had success yet.

The first 3 attempts (one casting)

1. I sprayed the tube with 3m super 77 spray adhesive
2. I then put 3 coats of Mod Podge over the top
3. After drying for 24 hours I then cast in silmar and the mod podge appeared to lift.

Attempt number 2
1. Sprayed tube with white enamel spray paint.

2 and 3 Same first two steps as above, but then sprayed with an high gloss acrylic spray (Wal Mart brand) Let dry for 24 hours. Made a single tube mold and cast.

Failure in that the epoxy did not adhere to the acrylic coating and the whole tube slides in and out.

Attempt number 3

Same steps as above, but I sanded the tube lightly to remove some of the gloss. This on the tube moves in and out from under the label.

Any hints? I doing this for a Christmas gift.

what is the "super 77 adhesive" for the label should stick itself.

healeydays

Super 77 adhesive is basically rubber cement. Using a product for this type of project then casting is asking for trouble. I'd be surprised if the resin cured correctly.

lweers

Thanks.

I'll prep another couple of tubes with the paper label and a clear label. I won't use the spray adhesive this time and just rely on the label adhesive.

Top Bottom