Casting a Laser Cut Wood Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodgraver

The odd things you come up with when you mix together different parts of the hobby. This was my first attempt to cast a pen blank that I had cut with a laser. I just used silmar 41 and coastal scents orange glitter. I did the casting upright in a pill bottle. I should have used my sierra mould because I had some air entrapment in the bottom of some of the flames. I'm going to try and fill those spots with some epoxy mixed with the same glitter...if it doesn't match up, I'm sure the next try will come out better. I've got another blank where I cut the flames from a piece of paduak and then used black mica powder and some silver glitter...I used a lot more coloring trying to make it opaque so it didn't set up as quickly as this one.

Attachments

• DSC_0024.JPG
    DSC_0024.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 706
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodgraver

Very cool look. Did you use any pressure for the casting?
Don.

Don, no pressure I just set a pill bottle with 1.5oz of silmar 41 in a hot bath. Once it was the viscosity of water, I added the glitter and 7 drops of MEKP. I then plunged the pen blank down into the pill bottle...the blank had rubber stoppers in each end. This is where I think air bubbles were trapped as I put the blank in flame tips down. I'm not sure if pressure would have helped. I think maybe I would have had better results with alumilite in a pressure pot. The second cast didn't fare nearly as well as this one...I should have put it in a toaster oven...the deep inside didn't set up and when I turned it...well, you get the picture ;)

I'll keep trying...I have an alumillite starter kit...this would be the perfect time to give that a try.

Jim

Top Bottom