CA Cure Time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I've been having trouble the past month with casting and I think I finally found the problem or problems. While trying to figure it out I started wondering about using ca in layers adding to the cure time or out gassing. The question in more detail is if you use ca to glue a label or skin then add something else or another layer of glue to seal it or something that would take a few days to finish the process when do you start the clock? I normally wait 3 days to let the glue cure starting when I put on the last coat. I wouldn't think I would need to add 3 days for each coat but was wondering if it would take longer to cure the thicker the glue. Thanks for your thoughts. Kenny

jttheclockman

The last coat of CA used. The cure time will depend a lot on temp. air conditions (humidity) thickness, did you use accelorant and so on so there is no cut and dry answer in my opinion. Maybe even different types of CA could cause problems as far as cure times. How do you test for that??? What works for one may not work for others. To me I would say 3 days in a warm dry climate would be just fine. Again just my opinion because I have no scientific evidence.

I will tell you this, whenever I have a technical question such as this I ask Glenn Hunter at Satellite City CA glues. He has helped me many times. Now I use this glue exclusively but maybe he can help.

There is some great info on their site that is relevant to what we do. I believe all beginners and even season pros should give it a look-see.

Your answer may lie within the info. Check it out.

http://www.caglue.com/Frequently-As...-Glues_ep_42.html#WhyIsSatelliteCityDifferent

Last edited:
Top Bottom