Thanks Charlie. It fits like a glove.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very recently got a QCTP from Charlie ( that New London bloke:biggrin:). I was fed up with the poxy little block one that was on my lathe. I knew from the beginning that I would have to mod either my topslide or the new tool post or both:frown: But I really didn't want to mod the topslide and I wanted to be able to re-fit the original, just in case. Many people just mount these directly on the cross slide, but I still wanted to be able to do tapering so it had to go on the top slide.

I just wanted to show these pics in case someone else is thinking of doing the same thing.

The existing TS has a 20mm dia bush but the QCTP only had a 16mm hole. So I simply bored it out.( For those that know how these things work, there was still plenty of meat for the inner sleeve to bear down on.)

Next was to alter the 16mm QCTP bolt to fit over the existing 10mm bolt.
Just measured, cut, drill and tapped.

And that was that :biggrin:

I still want to re-position the locking handle cos at the moment, the best setting I can get is about the 2.30 position. I'd like it to lock at the 4 o'clock spot. But for now, I'll just unscrew the handle if it gets in the way of the tailstock clamp.

This is probably 1 size too big for my machine but I couldn't resist the bargain price:biggrin:. It was easier to fit/mod than I imagined and I'm glad I didn't have to alter the lathe at all.

If any of the metal lathe guru's spot anything I did wrong, then please let me know:wink:

Attachments

• QCTP16to20.jpg
    QCTP16to20.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 324
  • Existing.jpg
    Existing.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 251
  • NewBoltMod.jpg
    NewBoltMod.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 255
  • Moddedstem.jpg
    Moddedstem.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 242
  • Completed.jpg
    Completed.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 334
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rollerbob

I might as well be looking at a dress for the wifey, can't figure out either one!! As Amos would say "that's my two bobs worth"!!:redface:

bitshird

Skip, we get the tool post locking handle interfering with the tail stock clamp screw on our 15 in. Romi / Bridgeports, if we have to work up close to the tail stock ram, we just unscrew the handle after locking the tool holder, I sure wish I'd seen that before you did, I need a good tool post on my Jet.

randyrls

Very Nice! I see you have the 4 bolt clamp. If you ever need a stronger mount with less flex, take a look at the John Pitkin donut mount. The files are on the 9x20lathe group on YAHOO. Or if you want, I can send them to your email address.

PS. You can always put several holes at 90 degree intervals to get the handle out of the way.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very Nice! I see you have the 4 bolt clamp.

Or if you want, I can send them to your email address.

Randy, are you refering to the baseplate that holds the topslide to the cross slide? LOL, that's my pride and joy!!!:biggrin: It was my very first project and of course replaced the silly two-bolt plate that came with the lathe.
It's almost 18mm thick aluminium and I don't think any cuts I make could make it flex. I guess if it was steel, then it would be stiffer though.

Ken, I'm not sorry I grabbed it before you got your beady eye on it!!!!:tongue::biggrin: But I'm pleased to know that if an old pro like you has a similar 'clashing-handle' problem, then I at least didn't mount it wrong. :biggrin:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Dayum! I looked at that first pic .. if I had tried that, I'd call it a paperweight.

I wondered about the handle position .. possibly putting holes at each 90 degrees to
use some sort of spanner wrench? reminds me of a tool the fire department would use
to connect hoses to hydrants. But I don't know if that might ruin what's already there.
Or maybe an offset handle?

Hey .. I'm just glad it isn't collecting dust anymore! Looks great!

OKLAHOMAN

Skippy those are damn pretty pictures of what ever it is:confused:.
Told the wife I needed one of those and she asked what is it, my answer was I haven't the slighest but if I had one I'd be able to talk "Skipease":wink:​

BigShed

Looking good Skippy, whole different ball game once you get a QCTP (Quick Change ToolPost for the uninitiated!).

I now have about 8 tool holders for mine (the AXA type from CDCO) and every time I get something from them I get a couple more. Rapidly coming to the conclusion that you can't have too many tool holders and at under $US10 each they don't break the bank.

I adapted my QCTP according to Steve Bedairs' idea, like this one.

Advantage is that I don't need a spanner to do it up.

20080926_113_small.jpg

Agree with you about the locking handle, it will only lock in that position.

I have since made a new one for the part with the red knob, the finish on this one wasn't very good (my first "real" metal turning job) and I took care to place the handle in the 4 o'clock position when locked.

I notice that, like I use to do, you put your tool in the position where the other dovetail faces the front. I found that the dovetail gets in the way when truning thin spindle stuff, eg a closed en pen mandrel. I now have that dovetail on the LH side and the spare dovetail at the rear, gives more room at the front, particularly when using a live centre.

You'll note I'm still using the 2 bolt clamp, still haven't made a 4 bolt one. Have all the stell etc, one day...........

Last edited:

TurnaPen

OK, OK, I'll make that trip to Bendigo soon, need to learn first hand about QUICK CHANGE TOOL POSTS, I believe Fred is doing the adaptor for me!!?? I have seen it first hand and it still bamboozells me!!!
Meanwhile, I am looking for the tap and die set I got off Lou, put them down together so I wouldn't lose them!? now both are hiding!, and that's my two bob's worth! Amos

Top Bottom