sharpening colt drill bits.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Can the colt drill bits be sharpened ? If so, how is it done? Thanks, Joe

The simple answer is No . The tip design does not allow easy sharpening as it is designed . You can sharpen them by hand using diamond files to keep the tip profile , allot of work , or regrind them using one of the Drill Dr setups . The reground bits will drill a little differently once reground but the major advantage of these bits , the fast spiral , will still clear the swarf/chips quickly .

KBs Pensnmore

If you know a tool maker he shouldbe able to sharpen it very much like a drill with a pilot I can't remember the proper name for the bit. CRAFT disease is starting to set in. (Can't Remember A F#+*ing Thing)

robutacion

Can the colt drill bits be sharpened ? If so, how is it done? Thanks, Joe

You can always find out if you can send them back to the manufacturer for re-sharping, this is not as impossible and expensive as some may thing.

The other option is find someone that can sharp tools, any tools and you will find that is nothing he can't sharp, I know because I'm one of those and have been for many years.

Its all a matter of some special small tools and some fine hand work, which I'm starting to shake a little too much some times but, still manage to ge then done...!:)

Cheers
George

rherrell

A Colt bit is the same as a brad point and I sharpen them all the time. I freehand them on a grinder. You need to dress the stone so you have a SHARP, SQUARE edge on the right side of the stone. Present the bit at an angle so that it matches the angle between the point and the flute, that should be approx. 90 degrees, and you want it to JUST BARELY touch the point. Then lower the end in your hand so it lines up with the angle of the flutes. Push it into the stone LIGHTLY and give it a 1/4 turn to the right at the same time. Turn the drill 180 degrees and repeat. Keep track in your head of how many times you do each side so you don't remove too much material from one side.:wink:

You can see how I sharpen my STEP DRILLS here.........

Attachments

• Step Drill Tips.pdf
    63.7 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
Top Bottom