Ready To Rumble!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mchech

Finally ready to make shavings. First I ran a 220 volt line to power the vs drive. Next I raised it 4" so I do not have to bend over. I don't bend at all. I added a sliding dust collection hood which will cover the entire 42" bed. Built 2 ballast boxes and loaded them with 16 bags of lead shot (400#) left over from the trap shooting days. Built a storage cabinet with an 18" x 36" work surface under the bed. As is it weighs around 950# and should not shake much when turning larger stuff. I've replaced the finish nail experiment holding the dust hood chain with a strip of hooks.

Attachments

• PA150004.jpg
    PA150004.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 254
  • PA150006.jpg
    PA150006.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 281
  • PA150010.jpg
    PA150010.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 282
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dave Turner

I'm envious. Thanks for the pictures. I'll have to get busy on my 1642EVS-2 and build the storage box and platform. How tall are you and do you find raising the height to make a big difference?

low_48

Why is the chuck mounted so far away? Order a replacement red button switch to have on hand. Our club lathe just had one fail during a demo, and my best friend just had one fail as well. That shelf might need to be hinged to clear the chips! Have fun, they are a great machine!

mchech

I'm envious. Thanks for the pictures. I'll have to get busy on my 1642EVS-2 and build the storage box and platform. How tall are you and do you find raising the height to make a big difference?

I'm 6'3". As is the spindle height is about 4 1/2" higher and I might do more after I try this. There is still full elevation left on the leveling pads My problem is 3 back surgeries and a neck fusion. Jacking up the spindle height seems to have helped on my little lathe but I'm not sure I want a hunk of stump spinning right under my nose with the big lathe.

mchech

Why is the chuck mounted so far away? Order a replacement red button switch to have on hand. Our club lathe just had one fail during a demo, and my best friend just had one fail as well. That shelf might need to be hinged to clear the chips! Have fun, they are a great machine!

It's a spindle thread adapter so I can use my 1x8 stuff on the 1 1/4x8 thread. I've not yet decided what I want for a larger chuck. I'll look into the spare switch. Thanks

raar25

What if you are turning a 16" bowl where will you put the dust hood? Very nice clean lathe, have fun and get some chips on that thing..

mchech

What if you are turning a 16" bowl where will you put the dust hood? Very nice clean lathe, have fun and get some chips on that thing..

It will clear 14" easily. When 16 comes along I'll give my Rube Goldberg like talents a workout. :wink:

Top Bottom