Precision Mandrel Saver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

I do my pen turning using a mandrel saver--soooo, I've had several of them burn out the bearings in themselves. I often turn as high as 2800 RPM so I don't know if that's relevant or not, but I am looking for a top quality mandrel saver--so any recommendations would be appreciated. I posted about a similar subject about a year ago, and someone posted that they were going to be testing just such a mandrel saver--so I'd definitely be interested in that if that person reads this thread.

Thanks in advance for any advice/recommendations.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyitfast

are you talking about the PSI mandrel saver or the Craft Supply mandrel saver? - or both??
I have heard good things about the Craft Supply one but it is more expensive.
I use the PSI one and have had good luck with it turning between 2800-3000.
Gordon

CREID

are you talking about the PSI mandrel saver or the Craft Supply mandrel saver? - or both??
I have heard good things about the Craft Supply one but it is more expensive.
I use the PSI one and have had good luck with it turning between 2800-3000.
Gordon

I use the PSI Mandrel Save,( never knew there were others) and I turn at 4000.

Fish30114

Mine was/is the Craft Supply one--I haven't tried the oil thing--I will--but I think it's pretty burnt up, it is really 'grindy' when just turning it by hand--it is ridiculously noisy when on my lathe. I was just hoping someone had a line on a better quality one.

SteveG

Mine was/is the Craft Supply one--I haven't tried the oil thing--I will--but I think it's pretty burnt up, it is really 'grindy' when just turning it by hand--it is ridiculously noisy when on my lathe. I was just hoping someone had a line on a better quality one.

CSUSA will replace defective stuff if you have only had it for some reasonable length of time, sometimes even if outside the "official" warranty. It will not hurt to ask...

HamTurns

Don - A couple years back someone on here started making a mandrel saver "insert" for a Nova live center. The Nova live center kit allows you to change out the tip for your needs.

I am not able to find that thread, although I've looked for it.

I am one of the BETA testers of that insert, and once I switched to using it I was hooked, never went back to my old mandrel saver.

With the Nova live center you get a larger set of bearings, that just may have been tighter to begin with than the lower cost all-in-one mandrel saver, I find that I get a better, more concentric pens now.

Happy Turning - Tom

lhowell

I have the PSI one and routinely turn over 3200 rpm. Have had it for over a year now (turned probably between 80-100 pens with it) and always get bits of acrylic shavings stuck in it during the turning process. I clean it every now and then but have never put any oil on it and it is still going strong

mecompco

I know it doesn't answer your question, but why not toss the mandrel and turn between centers? Then there's no worries about burning up bearings. Just a thought.

Regards,
Michael

KenV

Mandrel Saver in Nova Live Center

Don - A couple years back someone on here started making a mandrel saver "insert" for a Nova live center. The Nova live center kit allows you to change out the tip for your needs.

I am not able to find that thread, although I've looked for it.

I am one of the BETA testers of that insert, and once I switched to using it I was hooked, never went back to my old mandrel saver.

With the Nova live center you get a larger set of bearings, that just may have been tighter to begin with than the lower cost all-in-one mandrel saver, I find that I get a better, more concentric pens now.

Happy Turning - Tom

Frank Wilda sells these. I tested one and like it enough to buy one for my other (Tucson) live center. $22 delivered

https://mkt.com/wildaness-woods/item/mandrel-saver-for-nova-live-center

The Nova Live Center offers 3 bearings and lots of options for different ends and pieces all for $54 and free shipping with Prime membership.

https://www.amazon.com/NOVA-5015-Ce...d=1470701260&sr=8-1&keywords=nova+live+center

(and yes I also turn between centers for some pens, but not for all of them)

KenV

Don - I have never used the Precision Mandrel Saver but have looked at the pictures. It is not worth trying to rebearing a PSI single bearing version, but CUSA may have info on rebuilding the Precision unit with new bearings. Looks like a 2 bearing live center.

Many of the other multi-bearing live centers can be rebuilt if you like doing that kind of stuff.

Fish30114

I have turned between centers many times and I actually prefer turning between bushings and using my mandrel saver.
Ken, thanks so much for your feedback and especially the links--I bought both of the items you provided a link for.
Perhaps of interest to folks, is the following: First, I had sent an e-mail to CSUSA before even posting this thread. Never have heard from them re that. But what did happen is I received a call from CSUSA stating that they had seen my thread here on IAP, and had checked and seen where I had indeed bought one from them, and they are sending out a replacement unit. The fellow I spoke with from CSUSA was very nice and helpful, and did confirm that their unit was a sealed bearing unit, and putting any oil on it would be of no effect.

Good stuff all the way round--another thanks to Ken

and all you other folks who weighed in!!

wildanessdude

Ken,

Thanks for the plug. If you or anyone you know is looking for a mandrel saver for "B size" mandrels. I have a few 0.291" ID savers in stock.

Top Bottom