Pen Squaring Setup

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

I have learned my (or at least 'a') lesson. Yesterday I shattered a 12 dollar blank while trying to square it with a pen mill. So, with apologies to all the guys I stole ideas from, last night I locked myself in Acme Corp along with Wile E. and came up with this contraption. It uses transfer punches along with the hold down clamp to align the blanks for sanding :

Sanding-Jig_1_web.jpg Sanding-Jig_2_web.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Thanks for the info on the material and the cause of the disaster. Not an expert but is the cutter head sharp? Too much pressure on the cutter? Asking so I can avoid this myself.

gtriever

The cutter head is VERY sharp (ask me how I know that!) and yes, I probably did put too much pressure on it although I didn't think so at the time. I must have been seeing acrylic but thinking wood... stuff happens when ya get old. :confused:

TonyL

Very well made. Does this design rely on the pen rough-cut, blank being cut squarely? In other words, will it still "work" if the sides of the pre-turned blank are not all close to 90 degrees or very close to round. I do love the design and the workmanship.

gtriever

Tony, thank you for the compliments. It works just like the Universal Squaring Jig that so many companies offer, minus having to fool with a miter gauge. The contraption is designed so the v-groove for the transfer punches is square to the belt. The shape of the rough cut blank doesn't matter. When you slide the blank over the punch and lock it down, the tube is squared to the belt.

Top Bottom