Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LagniappeRob

Added smaller image as an attachment, the one from their website was huge

Attachments

• 6034_Jaws(1).jpg
    6034_Jaws(1).jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 301

walshjp17

Ordered a set as well. Certainly beefier and cheaper than the PSI Pen Drilling Chuck. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

flyitfast

Ordered a set as well. Certainly beefier and cheaper than the PSI Pen Drilling Chuck. Thanks for the heads up.

They do look much stronger, and probably more accurate than the one from PSI. However, you do have to have a chuck to put them on plus jaw change time, or a dedicated chuck if you do a lot of drilling. Just became more expensive!?
Just sayin'. However, I think I'll probably get a set too.
gordon

Marc

Just a couple of cautionary notes:

1. They are made to fit on the tek-na-tools chucks, Supernova and G-3. There is a ridge line that runs around the jaw plate that makes the fit on other chucks problematic.
2. Note that there is only one hole in the jaws for the screw. The Nova chucks all are made to accomodate two screws per jaw. This introduces a potential problem with securely holding the jaws to the chuck.
3. the length of the jaws (necessary to accomodate the pen blank), combined with the single screw hole can intoduce some issues when drilling. Mainly, not a secure enough hold on the blank, which can make your holes less precise than you generally want.

All in, these issues can be overcome, but wanted you to know some things to watch for.

LagniappeRob

Marc,

Do you have a set? Are these cautions from experience? #1 is obvious and stated on the page.

For 2/3 (really the same issue): There's no picture of it straight on, so I was curious if it was 2 or 4 screw holes as well. I have mine in hand tomorrow. I have another Nova chuck with only 2 holes but the jaws are in the way on that one. This one the 3rd and 4th holes should be pretty close to where the long round hole in the jaws are - so I wondered if they aren't there. I specifically went looking for a straight on picture of one and couldn't find one. That said, my existing 2 screw jaws hold fine but aren't this long.

EDIT - Just called Nova to ask. These jaws have 2 screws EACH - 4 screws total. The long hole down the jaw is for the 2nd screw in each jaw. So 2 & 3 are non-issues.

Last edited:

healeydays

From their site...

Key Points: The latest Chuck accessory from NOVA, under limited edition BETA release pending a full release later in the year. Stocks are strictly limited for this BETA release, with only 80 jaws available, first come, first served. This jaw set will fit on any NOVA chuck. A test report is included with every jaw to get customer feedback. The normal full two year warranty still applies to this BETA release.

Marc

Wow, did I screw that up. Nova also makes a pin jaw set (JSPIN) that has the one screw per jaw and will fit any Nova chuck. The pen jaw set is as you described.

There may still be issues with the pen jaws not fitting other chucks.

I like Nova products and have the 2024 lathe, which is awesome. I have the SuperNova chuck and the Titan chuck - both are great chucks.

Whaler

Wow, did I screw that up. Nova also makes a pin jaw set (JSPIN) that has the one screw per jaw and will fit any Nova chuck. The pen jaw set is as you described.

There may still be issues with the pen jaws not fitting other chucks.

I like Nova products and have the 2024 lathe, which is awesome. I have the SuperNova chuck and the Titan chuck - both are great chucks.

I too am a Nova fan, DVR-XP, G-3 & Super Nova 2.

islandturner

EDIT - Just called Nova to ask. These jaws have 2 screws EACH - 4 screws total. The long hole down the jaw is for the 2nd screw in each jaw. So 2 & 3 are non-issues.

I wondered what that strange hole was for, at the top end of the jaws...! :rolleyes: It is for the second machine screw. I guess you install the screw by reaching down through this hole, with a long Allan key.

I have the pin jaw set, and it works fine for drilling blanks. If I didn't already have it, I'd definately buy this new set.

LagniappeRob

It sounded like 1st hand experience. You had me worried... No harm, no foul. You were just trying to look out for others.

LagniappeRob

I have the pin jaw set, and it works fine for drilling blanks. If I didn't already have it, I'd definately buy this new set.

I don't know if I'd saw "fine". It works ok - usually. A few times I've taken as long or longer to setup drilling long holes (like realistic cigars). I have the PSI for pen blanks, and it did well for a while but one of the jaws has taken a lean to the outside. I haven't taken it apart to see what's going on. Looking at these I think these will be my go to (hopefully).

islandturner

I don't know if I'd saw "fine". It works ok - usually. A few times I've taken as long or longer to setup drilling long holes (like realistic cigars).

Yes, I'd agree with that, Rob.

I've learned that when drilling in the NOVA pin jaws, the blank must be either perfectly square or round along its length. I typically round them, before drilling. The more 'unsquare' or 'unround' the blank is, the more likely that it may not be turning 'true' in the pin jaws. In other words, the ends of the blank may be turning in a small oval, and will cause 'wobble' on the bit as it advances into the end.

When you get it right, it drills perfectly smoothly. If the blank is not true, and improperly locked in the jaws, you get wobble. (This may also be the case with this new jaw set.)

I don't know if I'm saying this well, but I'm sure you understand what I mean?

Steve

Dan Masshardt

I vote for better than okay for the pin jaws. They've worked very well for me.

I'd rather have the new ones though for blank drilling. Looks like just the right thing. Unfortunately, too many other things on my do buy list.

edstreet

Just a couple of cautionary notes:

1. They are made to fit on the tek-na-tools chucks, Supernova and G-3. There is a ridge line that runs around the jaw plate that makes the fit on other chucks problematic.
2. Note that there is only one hole in the jaws for the screw. The Nova chucks all are made to accomodate two screws per jaw. This introduces a potential problem with securely holding the jaws to the chuck.
3. the length of the jaws (necessary to accomodate the pen blank), combined with the single screw hole can intoduce some issues when drilling. Mainly, not a secure enough hold on the blank, which can make your holes less precise than you generally want.

All in, these issues can be overcome, but wanted you to know some things to watch for.

You mean jaws like this?
14571_4076101062776_227755875_n.jpg

Single screws combined with the quarter circle arch on the bottom of the jaw holds it in place fairly well. The only movement you will have is rotational and that depends on what you are drilling.

Chucks are available reasonably priced if you look.
Nova Chuck | eBay

Sorry, that's not reasonable priced.

I also ordered one tonight. Been pondering if it was even worht it so I figured why not, splurge some.

Last edited:
My set shipped out on Thursday. I think these will be a great addition to my pin jaw set. I have had a few times that I wished that I had only the 2 points of hit. Mostly with a blank that is not square. These jaws will fix that issue.

hobo

I've Had a set of these for over a year now, they are good for drilling to fit tubes but needs to have a good square blank otherswise hole is not centred correctly. I believe they fit all technatool chucks, certainly the Nova, Supernova and G3, they also fit Sorby's patriot chuck. I use for holding 95% of square blanks and keep mine permanently attached to a G3, I would say a worthwhile investment at £25:00.

LagniappeRob

Hobo - I'm guessing you were an alpha tester then? I was having trouble finding any references to it at all. Google kept wanting to change it from "Nove pEn plus jaws" to "Nova pIn jaws" on me. You see any differences from yours of a year ago and this beta test run?

LagniappeRob

Oh, and that made me forget why I was coming back to this thread...

I just got a text that my package has been dropped off at the house. 4 more hours 'til I get to go home though.

Dan Masshardt

Hobo - I'm guessing you were an alpha tester then? I was having trouble finding any references to it at all. Google kept wanting to change it from "Nove pEn plus jaws" to "Nova pIn jaws" on me. You see any differences from yours of a year ago and this beta test run?

Unless he's referring to the pin jaws??

LagniappeRob

Unless he's referring to the pin jaws??

True - I'm not thinking very well today. Tired - up most of the night for work, and been fighting a stomach bug.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom