Name Those Nuts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Like a little fun? Wanna win a nifty pair of Big Rat-Nuts??:biggrin:

Here's the deal....

I have two pairs of these nuts to give away. One set to the 'correct' answer and one set for the 'best' ( funny :wink:) answer.
You could give either a correct answer or funny answer or both, but you'd only win one set if you won. :wink:
I'll pay shipping.

Here's a description....

They are used in pen making.
One is closed ended the other has a through hole
Each has three grubscrews in the sides.
The centre hole is approx 20mm dia
The outside measurement across the flats is about 36mm

I will not be selling these, so please don't ask.:tongue:

I'll decide who the winners are tomorrow evening (UK time )

Have fun :biggrin:

EDIT; Just to clarify....you have to say what they do, not give them a name:wink:

Attachments

• Big Nuts.jpg
    Big Nuts.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 489
Last edited:

PennedDown

Well I'm gonna go out on a limb here, or more than likely a rat maze. Since I am trying to do a lot of research and get into the kitless pens real soon and have absolutely admired your work here,

my answer is:

A large pair of rotating Rat Nuts!

Jeez Skip, I dunno :befuddled:

chrisk

A pair of spectacles. The left fits my blind eye while the right is perfect for my perverse one, that is the one who's looking through the keyhole...

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL, some of you lot are sicker than me!!! :eek::biggrin:

For the non metricated or those that aren't as sick as others:tongue:.....here's a pic with a pen, for size reference:wink:

Attachments

• Pen with nuts.jpg
    Pen with nuts.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 424

AceMrFixIt

For the non metricated or those that aren't as sick as others:tongue:.....here's a pic with a pen, for size reference:wink:

The left one prevents pregnancy, the right one don't........or they hold a die for cutting threads.

PenMan1

It looks like a freehub that lets the gears on a bicycle chain sprocket turn while not letting the sprockets, and thus the wheel come loose from a bicycle.

That is just a guess, as I am sure that there are hundreds of other uses for freehubs, IF this is one.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I'm guessing their used for indexing blanks. Put the blank between them and mount in the lathe. Looks like you can index 6 sides of the blank. As for a name, I'll just call them, "Ratatoulie's Monster Sized Pen-Nuts"

PennedDown

OK, another guess:
Designed to hold a 20mm (around 3/4") round blank. One I see is closed so I'm assuming that the 20mm rod butts against the inside of this one. The other is slipped on the rod and rotates (maybe with a helical type thread inside?) and as it does cuts grooves (by means of the grub screws...?) for a material to be inlayed. Shows you how much I know about metal work, but again trying to think outside the box/maze.

I know!
Taken from a site where King Leonidas and a force of 300 men fight the Persians at Thermopylae in 480 B.C. Found was an armored chain mail suit, a shield, a sword, and this pair for protecting you know what from getting sliced and diced. Oh yeah and a pair of leather flip flops.....:biggrin:

After reading reading peoples guesses I am sitting here with my legs crossed.
Are they used to index and hold a round blank so the blank can be pushed through a table saw to cut feathers into the blank?

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Oh boy !!!!:eek:

Mike I find it very disturbing that you have a picture of that...thing!!:eek:

But somehow I guess I shouldn't be too shocked at what you Americans get upto. :tongue: In fact I reckon you got that as a wedding present from the inlaws:wink:

I'm going to bed....

If I have nightmares, you'll be in trouble!!!:mad:

stolicky

deeeez nutz? Sorry, someone had to say it...

Okay, Skippy's crazy nuts! "Just one bite and your are screwed" (by the grub screws, of course).

I have to go with locking onto a 20mm round piece of metal and used as a guide to make some of the hex pens I have seen come out of your shop.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Skip! This is the "In Law" No need for apparatuses, we have SHOTGUNS!!! :wink:

Oh boy !!!!:eek:

Mike I find it very disturbing that you have a picture of that...thing!!:eek:

But somehow I guess I shouldn't be too shocked at what you Americans get upto. :tongue: In fact I reckon you got that as a wedding present from the inlaws:wink:

I'm going to bed....

If I have nightmares, you'll be in trouble!!!:mad:

LEAP

I with Neil on this one, indexing device possibly used in the quick change tool post or on an X-Y table so you can run the blank under the slitting blade. Looks like an upgrade to the device you used on the pen I have of yours.

kinggabby

OMG this is so easy. Those are the nuts that held the bolts on my ex mother-in laws neck. Hook her up to electricity and whamo she came to life.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
FOLKS...PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A FAMILY FRIENDLY SITE. Would you be happy with your 13 year old daughter reading some of these replies? I don't have time to sort it all out right now but PLEASE, let's stop with the off color stuff.

Curtis O. Seebeck
IAP Head Moderator

studioso

I think this is the result of someone ordering a .020 ID pair of nuts for a pen's trim, and forgetting to mention be was talking about inch fractions, not mm...

I would say they are devices you made for coming up with an Eagle segmented blank.
The three grub screws allows you to set the angles and number of segments.

Most likely used on your tricked out metal lathe in some fashion!

Andrew

PenPal

The two nuts have three holding screws, the blind ended nut is slid onto the shaft first, locked on the shaft using the three screws. The second nut provides a sliding fit, when in position on the shaft alignment is possible using the flats on the nuts then the second nut is locked in position. The shaft is held captive

A nutter felt that two nuts applied to solve a problem are better than one, the captive one could keep the other in line much as the occasion demanded confounding the wise as a result proving one nut in the northern hemisphere is equal to two nuts anywhere else in the world.

Cheers mate.

Kind regards Peter.

Rounder

I KNOW!!! I KNOW!!! Those are the thing-a-ma-bobs that hold the what-cha-ma-call-it up to the dingle berry so that you can do your Skip Rat magic to a pen!!! YEA, I WON, I WON, didn't I?:biggrin: Surely I won, I just know I did. They can't be anything else!:eek: Can they?:eek: Oh please Mr. Skip Rat, pick me, pick me! I so love your imaginative creations. I aspire to be at least 1/2 as good as you!

P.S. Was that enough kissing your back side to win? If not let me know and I will add more slobbering praises upon your greatness if it will help me win one of your gorgemous creations!!! I have no shame. Oh someone please stop me. I need help, BAD. I hope TimeBandit doesn't see this. He will dis-own his Pop's for sure. Please son, understand that I am doing this JUST for you! I will actually let you touch a Skip Rat Creation if I win this thing. I am only thinking of you. (Dang I hope they don't put me back in that padded room if they find me. Please, no one tell them where I'm at if they come asking! please, pleASE, PLEASE???) I promise to be nice!!!??? I REALLY do...........:devil:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Well done guys. :biggrin: Please PM me your addresses and I'll send them off.:biggrin:

Chris ( Displaced Canadian ) got the first 'correct' answer. Of course the pic of the Eagle feather pen was a good clue.:biggrin: These can also be used to index cuts by other machines like routers, bandsaws or even chop saws. The ends of the blank are turned down to fit inside the nuts. The three grubscrews work like a mini independent chuck so the blank can be fairly well centered in them.
The closed ended one was simply to use as a mitre stop reference, but I have now machined them both with through holes. They are much more versatile like this.
They are made from aluminium, so would be more 'forgiving' than steel if they happen to touch a blade.:eek: But of course, correct set up and clamping is essential.:wink:

Are they used to index and hold a round blank so the blank can be pushed through a table saw to cut feathers into the blank?

Also well done to super sleuth Dale ( Penned Down ) for his 'alternative' use!!!:biggrin:

I know!
Taken from a site where King Leonidas and a force of 300 men fight the Persians at Thermopylae in 480 B.C. Found was an armored chain mail suit, a shield, a sword, and this pair for protecting you know what from getting sliced and diced. Oh yeah and a pair of leather flip flops.....:biggrin:

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
On behalf of my 'Off Colour' friends,:rolleyes: I'd like to apologise if anyone was offended by any of the 'adult' replies. I'm certain no offense was intended as we all periodically forget our younger members sensitivity now and then:redface: Sorry guys!!:cool:

PennedDown

I want to apologize also if I offended anyone. I sometimes have a weak moment (naw say it ain't so!).

Skip, address and PM sent. When I get the shop set back up here soon, I'll go ahead and send you the plane ticket for some one-on-one tutoring.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Sound like a plan?

Thanks!

Top Bottom