my shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RonInSpringTX

gonna try again. I looked for another thread, but couldn't see any. Feel free to comment/add your own!!

200832755248_rons%20shop001.jpg

bin of pen kits, belt sander/bungie cord rack, various upright wood.

20083276418_rons%20shop002.jpg

overhead wood storage...mostly my prized maple, some curly/birdseye. My brother got me 2 slabs from a bowling alley near where he works. They were throwing them out!! Turns like butter!! Enough for probably 100+ pens!!The large piece is ironwood.

200832761926_rons%20shop003a.jpg

various tools, etc. My 1st lathe, a 4ft Cummins lathe. (only $100)

200832763640_rons%20shop004b.jpg

other peg-board tools w/my floor Rigid drill press & of course my TV!

200832764452_rons%20shop004a.jpg

my 2 stage dust collector on wheels(hooked up to reg 30gal metal trash can, with a top they make/hose going in, one out to catch larger pieces,then just dust goes to the bags), spindle sander, scroll saw, other stuff.

200832765255_rons%20shop005a.jpg

smaller craftsman drill press, new Ryobi bench bandsaw (in a temp place, just for the photo) DeWalt miter saw. Other stuff, bin box, shelves mounted between studs.
200832771434_rons%20shop006a.jpg

downdraft sander table, underneath is a hose gate system going up to my miter saw,(other end w/gate to the dust coll.), other miter saw support is on the right.

200832774140_rons%20shop007a.jpg

miter saw, downdraft table tucked away, other support for the miter.(they both contain separated compartments for screws, etc.)

200832781036_rons%20shop008a.jpg

Craftsman jointer/planer. Craftsman router table. (both on frames/wheels)

2008327205951_rons%20shop009a.jpg

larger & smaller belt/disk sanders. Both mounted on same table w/wheels & strip plug underneath. Also a cabinet underneath (not shown)

200832721347_rons%20shop010a.jpg

Craftsman 12" bandsaw, DeWalt 12-1/2" planer. (both on wheels!)

2008327211919_rons%20shop011a.jpg

clamps & more clamps, various stains, paints, polys. My portable a/c unit (bottom right)

200832721238_rons%20shop012a.jpg

clamps, a/c, various spray paints, etc. The red trim diagonal doors cover an alcove under the stairwell(inside the house). Alcove has shelf storage inside w/pegboard on the backside of the doors.

200832721371_rons%20shop013.jpg

Craftsman tablesaw (worm drive), Jet 3sp air cleaner.

200832721405_rons%20shop014a.jpg

(too dark I know)work bench with cabinet/drawers on other side. Various routers, circ saws, biscuit jointer, hand planer, tile saw in cabinet.

2008327214553_rons%20shop016a.jpg

right: older Stanley planer. left: Stanley "45" I believe it is a planer & capable of dado & rabbet cuts. Not sure. Both are from the 1920's era or possibly earlier.

2008327215430_rons%20shop017a.jpg

from left: 1."Ford" labeled wrench (not sure for a model T or what)
2.pipe wrench??
middle: bottom 2 labeled "P1183". 3rd from bottom labeled "pony alligator wrench". Top wrench unknown. 2nd from right labeled "Cochran speed-nut wrench". Far right unknown, possible hot rivet pliers??

200832722323_rons%20shop015.jpg

Best for last... mini Jet V.S. lathe & smaller craftsman dust collector.

All comments welcome
thanks, Ronnie

Jarheaded

All that cleanliness and polish is making me ill. Wood on the racks? What do you think that corners are for? Mess that place up some and then take some pictures. I would never have a shop that clean(no matter how hard I tried)....LOL:)

RonInSpringTX

Alex, thanks! I haven't really had a problem with drifting. I bolted a walnut block extension to the miter sliding/push fence. It extends to about 1/16" to the bottom/most protruding part of the mast. I use an 18tpi blade & go real SLOW!!

Mannie/Monty
Johnnie/Jarhead... I never wanted to give the image of delusions of grandeur!!! :D:D I never said that's how it looks now/nor stays!!! I'd just cleaned up after making all the christmas presents & finally taking down/storing all the christmas lights!! It's a mess as we speak!! I didn't show the boxes of scrap in the corner under the TV, nor the other side of the pegboard wall. That's the washer/dryer room in the house. I've got that Triton lumber rack that Rockler sells. It's full as well!! Also, there's another small rack above where the larger dust collector. Thanks for you comments!!!

Darren, I love the dust collector. Wish I could make a better rack for the hood, maybe someday. Every now & then I have to take off the impeller cover & tighten the blade. Also, sometimes it doesn't want to start. I guess the motor is stuck on a dead spot on the windings/or something, so I take a real small screwdriver & through the impeller cover I rotate it a few times. Then it cranks up great. In general I'm very happy with it. You can find it on sale sometimes for $140 or so.

Thanks fellow Texans!! (you too Johnnie in CT!!) :D:)[8D]

DavidSpavin

br]
from left: 1."Ford" labeled wrench (not sure for a model T or what)
2.pipe wrench??
middle: bottom 2 labeled "P1183". 3rd from bottom labeled "pony alligator wrench". Top wrench unknown. 2nd from right labeled "Cochran speed-nut wrench". Far right unknown, possible hot rivet pliers??

The 'unknown' pliers on the right are carpenters pincers used to remove old nails.

Nickfff

Ron,
Looks great. Alot of good toys:)

Do you keep the jet air cleaner on while working? Is the jet air cleaner quiet?

How do you like the Delta dust collector? Is it loud?

Thanks,
Nick

RonInSpringTX

Nick, the Jet I turn on only if I have alot of continuous sanding to (despite the downdraft table) usually on larger stuff (furniture, planters,etc.) or if I have a lot of wood I need to cut on the tablesaw. (sometimes if I get the leaf blower out & "dust" the shelves, equip, pegboard, floors!!) It is really quiet, even on high speed. The Delta could be a little quieter, actually my smaller Craftsman collector is a little bit noisier, I believe. Gonna try to rig up a hood for the Delta to my lathe.
Actually would love the get the next bigger Delta (Lowes around $350 I think) but I need to rewire the garage first. Still using the original wiring, one plain light fixture, one plug on pegboard wall, & one light switch!! I took out the light, put a junction box, ran electrical to each side of the shop with a 4 plug fixture on each. I can't really run too much stuff off that circuit, blows the only 15A breaker (which is on some other stuff in the house!!) anyway, running the a/c you saw in the summer makes the light switch kinda warm which I don't like, so I have to turn off a couple of the fluorescent lights. Sorry, got carried away!! Hope this answered your questions, you thinking about getting an air filter & dust collector??

later, Ronnie

Nickfff

Ron,
Yes, I am in the market but need something very quiet. I did try a delta dc (lower end model) but it was too loud for me to use constantly while in the shop-which is my goal.

I am thinking that the lower end jet dc seems a bit quieter from reviews I have read. I have a jet lathe and I am very happy with the quality so think the dc may be good as well.

Nick

RonInSpringTX

yeah, but don't sacrifice price for usability,what cfm do you need? what kind of work do you do? Your shop gonna expand? other machines? I originally had my Delta hooked up to a trunk system w/3 drops and gates on each plus a floor sweep intake w/gate, it seemed to work ok, except the tablesaw. So I disconnected it & decided to put everything on wheels, even the dc. Kinda cumbersome, but it works for me, for now!! But like I said I'd luv to get a bigger one!! or eventually build a new shop to my specs in the backyard!! (provided homeowner's association approval, nah, screw them!!) but that's way down the road!!Unless I get on Jeopardy, Millionaire, or hit the lotto!! yeah right!!:D:D:D

Ronnie

palmermethod

Holy Cow Ronnie. A place for everything, everything in place and you can see everything right there. Makes me sick. Please do NOT look at my shop. I'm embarrassed. Nice shop Ron!

RonInSpringTX

Bob, it's just a regular 2 car garage. But I've sealed the panels of the door with insulation, so I can run the portable a/c in the summer & it'll keep it bearable out there!!!

Ronnie

Ash

Nice and also cllleeeeaaaan no matter why, some of us never get to that level. So anyone else want to show pics. of there shop and share ideas on layout and opinions of equipment. I'll show mine if you show yours. I need to clean up first. Some times it’s hard just to find the lathe.

RonInSpringTX

Ash, go ahead & post yours!! Or anyone is welcome to!!!

Brent, you're right!!! tools are like bbq pits & cooking on the pits & beer, you can NEVER have too many!!!! Was wanting to get a bigger tablesaw if I build a shop to be able to do cabinets. I may still get one some day & adjust the shop as I need.

Ron

wm460

Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia,0860.
G'Day Ron,
What temp do you get there in summer?
The hottest day in December it was 48C Degrees in my shed, I think that is about 118 120F degrees in your temp, after I looked at the thermometer it was hard to keep working on the lathe but I did all tho I couldn't keep my mind of the keg of Coopers Pale Ale in the fridge.

RonInSpringTX

LOL, don't blame you there... always nice to have a cold one ready. It'll get to about 100 F sometimes hotter, but the humidity is life-sucking!! With my a/c I can keep it around high 70's.

Ronnie

Ash

Not yet I'm still cleaning up. Moving the lathes to there own room. Cool in summer and warm in winter.

RonInSpringTX

Ash, would luv to convert a room inside the house just for turning. Maybe someday if my sister-n-law moves out. No big deal using the garage tho. I need to re-wire it though, but first things first. The neo-nazi homeowners assoc. sent us a letter to paint the house. (2 story) We painted about 5 or 6 yrs ago, but I guess they think it's looking dingy!! oh well, can't fight 'em.

RonInSpringTX

Ron in PA. Cool on yours. How old is it?? Would be great to recondition mine & find some chisels for it. I need to read up on electrolysis cleaning I guess. I think a member on here has a thread or a site. Do you have any idea where to find chisels for it, doesn't anyone still make them even??

RonInSpringTX

DavidSpavin, my wife told me they were her father's dad's (her grandfather) and he told her they were actually used for shoeing/unshoeing horses!! I guess they could be used as a nail remover. That's the same purpose!!!
Just FYI.

later,
Ronnie

Originally posted by RonInSpringTX

Ron in PA. Cool on yours. How old is it?? Would be great to recondition mine & find some chisels for it. I need to read up on electrolysis cleaning I guess. I think a member on here has a thread or a site. Do you have any idea where to find chisels for it, doesn't anyone still make them even??

I don't know/remember the exact date, IIRC the copyright says 1913.

A couple of years ago there was a local auction, a widow was selling off her husbands tools. When the Stanley 45 came up, still in a box, I started the bid at $25 and planned on going to $200. No one bid against me.

I bet you can find cutters on Ebay

Russianwolf

Ron, I'll take it off your hands for $50.... comeon that 100% profit. :D (by the way, it's a patent date, not copyright [:p] )

Ron, there are lots of parts on ebay for them. And if you can't turn a knob for the #3? then we may have to kick you off the site. [:p]

Seriously, if either of you want to get rid of them, let me know. I've started putting handplanes back to work. I bought a #5, #7 and #12 this past week.

DavidSpavin

Originally posted by RonInSpringTX

DavidSpavin, my wife told me they were her father's dad's (her grandfather) and he told her they were actually used for shoeing/unshoeing horses!! I guess they could be used as a nail remover. That's the same purpose!!!
Just FYI.
My father ( a master carpenter ) had several pairs and you can still buy them. (see link below)
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Stubai-Pincers-20319.htm
I have see farriers using some thing similar but they are bigger.
http://www.cottamhorseshoes.com/tools.htm

RonInSpringTX

under the blade hold-down plate it says "C116". From pictures I've researched, it does favor a #3, but it doesn'nt have any forged #'s or anything in front of the front knob, behind it is forged "made in USA" but that's it.

RonInSpringTX

oh, and yes, I can turn a knob for it!!:D I need to make a handle for it as well, along with trying to get the steel back to original (as much as I can!!)

RonInSpringTX

ok, dudes & dudettes, that it?? would still like to hear from others. Even see other people's shops, etc. Any comments on improving it or whatever are appreciated. Whattaya say?? Let's see YOUR shops!!!
maybe I'll just post it again later or in a different thread. (if I can find one)

later, Ronnie & Brenda

wm460

Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia,0860.
G'Day Ron,
Ever since I seen the photo's of your shed, I have had made a number of attempts to clean up my shed, apart from about a cubic meter of wood for turning piled in the middle of the floor, two benches covered god knows what. I did find a bottle of wine I was given for Xmas still wrapped up, and all these unfinished project for the house, that the wife would love me to complete. We have two long weekend coming up I intend to make a good attempt, if I don't do what I normally do, start cleaning up then then start doing something else that makes even bigger mess.
I will get some photos taken.

Cheers,
Bob.

RonInSpringTX

Hey Bob, come on now, finish what you started!!! (cleaning that is!!) Dedicate a shelf/cabinet area or something for your "to be finished" projects. It'll keep them out of the way until you finish cleaning. I've got a couple of shelves under my big lathe, 2 big,4 small candle holders, and a miniature gas station/bait store with a fence and some older cool painted hot wheels cars, truck. I'm gonna make that into a shadow-box for my brother. (one of these days!!) You'll be happy when you finish cleaning, even though you and I both know it won't stay that way!!! But, maybe it'll be easier to stay on top of it anyway!!

later,
Ronnie

Top Bottom