Hollower

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I am looking for a good quality hollowing tool. Need something small enough to hollow out some small ornaments and also billiard balls. I probably will have to go to carbide with a round disc. Any suggestions out there??? Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Ornament hollowing and boxes including billiard balls, look at hunter cup carbide tooling.

John60lucas you tube videos are excellent. He shows details well.

Don Derry sells a scraper style hollower for ornaments that is easier on the hands. Uses a 3/16 round end tool bit. It will not help you with billiard ball boxes.

Look up Don Porter for examples of billiard ball boxes.

jttheclockman

Ornament hollowing and boxes including billiard balls, look at hunter cup carbide tooling.

John60lucas you tube videos are excellent. He shows details well.

Don Derry sells a scraper style hollower for ornaments that is easier on the hands. Uses a 3/16 round end tool bit. It will not help you with billiard ball boxes.

Look up Don Porter for examples of billiard ball boxes.

I have talked to Don Porter many years ago when he first started making those billiard boxes and he helped me develop the jigs I use to make my billiard clocks.

I also talked with John Lucas many times about various clocks he has made and he has helped.

What I am looking for is a name or link to a cutter that will be small enough to get inside an opening no bigger than 3/4" and be able to hollow such a tight radius. Not looking to make boxes at this time. Plus since I have never used one how is this determined?? There are specs on all these hollowers but i am not familiar with them. Plus there are a couple different types. Ones that use a carbide cutter (round which I am leaning toward) and the ones that are HSS that can be adjusted for different angles. What is the advantages and disadvantages of both??

lorbay

I am looking for a good quality hollowing tool. Need something small enough to hollow out some small ornaments and also billiard balls. I probably will have to go to carbide with a round disc. Any suggestions out there??? Thanks
I make these for small hollowing.
Lin.

Attachments

• IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 192

KenV

John, Hunter Tools sells a set of 3 carbide cutters on three different orientations. Norm for christmas ornaments is a 5/8 hole.

John Lucas shows the hunter cutters in use. one is back facing and a bit tricky to get used to.

Lin shows a picture of his version of the Don Derry hollower. That style works but has a more narrow range of sizes. The out rigger helps.

Being a tool junkie, I have the Rosand, Derry, and Hunter. They are in price order low to high, and the hunter carbide is the best for widest range of sizes and shapes.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

John, Hunter Tools sells a set of 3 carbide cutters on three different orientations. Norm for christmas oenaments is a 5/8 hole.

John Lucas shows them in use. one is back facing and a bit tricky to get used to.

Lin shows a picture of his version of the Don Derry hollower. That style works but has a more narrow range.

Being a tool junkie, I have the Rosand, Derry, and Hunter. They are in price order low to high, and the hunter carbide is the best for widest range of sizes and shapes.

Thanks Ken. This is an area of turning I am not familiar with when it comes to using these type tools. I hollow other things but just use scrapers to do it. So i will do some reading and investigating.

Top Bottom