Drill bit stops

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

From time to time, we are all faced with the problem of drilling to a known depth. Yes you can buy drill bit stops that attach to a bit using a grub screw. Unfortunately, the set I bought from Harbor Freight are nearly useless - it comes with a small Allen wrench that is supposed to fit into the hex socket in the grub screws, but in fact it doesn't.

Alternatively, there is also the trick of adding a masking tape 'flag' on the bit to mark the desired depth.

But here's another idea - cut a slice from one of those plastic wine corks that are now used in a lot of less-expensive wines. Drill an on-axis hole (it doesn't have to be exactly on-axis - close is fine) in the slice that is slightly smaller than the bit it will be used with (eg, for a 1/4" bit, I drill a 7/32" hole). Slip this over the bit, and there you have it - a stop that will slide along the length of the bit, but that fits snugly enough that it won't move unless you really want it to.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

I guess I'm lucky. My drill press has a built in depth gauge good up to 6".
When I was working full time, we used 2" wide duct tape & made a flap
by overlaying the tape on the drill bit. When the bit hit the marked depth, the flap would stop turning.

magpens

I know the problem ... I feel your pain !

But from my experience, you can't beat a narrow band of masking tape around the bit.

The other suggestions, which I have tried, are usually too cumbersome and big for my requirements.

TonyL

Rick Herrell sells tool rest collar stops. Maybe they can be used as drill stops?

dogcatcher

I make my own out of cutoffs. I drill the bit size hole through the center, then cross drill and tap those holes for 1/4" set screws. If it is a drill bit that I will use quite a bit, I buy an extra bit and make it a permanent set up and add it to my custom bit storage.

Top Bottom