Do you think it's time for a clean-up???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fitty

Bob,

I would recommend that you label all your wood while your cleaning. To ensure you don't lose it, you can provide me a copy :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monark88

you might push the box end wrench beneath the grinder a tad bit back, otherwise everything else looks in order.

I wonder, (yep I have a big fear of snakes), if any have visited your workshop?

Russ

Bob Wemm

I did have one come in one day. We were in a hell of a hurry to go somewhere and as I walked to the shed door to close it, I saw a snake disappear behind an old door that was leaning up against the wall.
I didn't want to leave him in there and it would have taken ages to move everything away so I made an 'executive' decision and decided to use the shovel and wedge him in by the tail. That was all I could reach, and off we went.
I was dreading our return because I didn't want to be confronted with a very angry snake. But it was dead as a door nail so must have bitten itself.
Very happy chappy when I saw that,
Bob.

you might push the box end wrench beneath the grinder a tad bit back, otherwise everything else looks in order.

I wonder, (yep I have a big fear of snakes), if any have visited your workshop?

Russ

:wink:I see treasure. I see wood. I see treasure. I see wood. I am definitely going to let my wife see this she will be so happy with my shop... I still see treasure....:wink:

Bob Wemm

It's happened at last.

WELL!! It only took 8 months????????:redface:
And in between that time all sorts of things have happened, including a trip to South Australia.

My shed got to the stage where I could hardly get in to work.

But I have been seriously cleaning up for the last couple of weeks, you don't want to rush these things you know. Besides if I went too fast I would loose track of where I put things.:rolleyes:

Strangely enough I found a couple of things that I had totally forgotten about, so that was good.:biggrin:

Worst part was that I had to do it all myself, the Shed Fairy would not help, and I think that there was an awful lot of stuff that was handled at least three times. I put up a corner shelf (longways) to hold my pen turning stuff, so that should keep all that in one place.:redface: Dunno for how long. 2nd last pic.

Also made a dust scoop for my lathe, pics 1 & 2.

As soon as the paint dries on the couple of blocks on my bench I will be "INTO" it again and no doubt, the mess will start all over again.

Cant wait. Thanks for looking.

Bob.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 121

PenPal

Bob,

My wife is just over 5 feet in height I am 6 feet two so there is no way she could negotiate the whole of my shop you have to walk in the footholds.

You gave me comfort there is time to rearrange the deck chairs in my Titanic I need to downsize but? I note you carefully skirted the walls mate.

Great to hear from you.

Kind regards Peter.

robutacion

Hi Bob,

I don't remember to have seen your thread opening pics although we have discussed shop "cleaning' often. I shouldn't have because I never posted anything so, I was looking at the first lot of pics and was watching places where the wood lathe chips did land and I thought to myself, "half of Bob's problem is not being able to retain much of what the wood lathe throws away in all directions, chips landing yards away.

This in fact, is not only Bob's problem, is shared with many of us, even though in my case, I have a "dedicated" wood lathe room, that I had to make some modification when I moved up here, to be able to stand up and fit in there. This "dedicated" wood-lathe room only has 3 walls and once was a chicken shed and believe it or not, the only are in all my work-shop area, including the "lolly-shop" that had a cement floor, and the only one, still...!

Despite that, I try to control a little of the "rain" of wood-chips/shavings that come out of the wood-lathe headstock, when I'm in the mood for making shavings, its pretty bad...!

I think I have seen a couple of dozen different ways people built to control the amount of shavings flying everywhere, and only one, a few years back I saw that took my vote and I know did catch 95% of what is produced waste when woodturning, according to the workshop owner, he got really I mean really fed-up with the shavings and dust produced when on the lathe, his wife was on his back every single day because of it, and you know why...??? because he had a shared garage and the wife parked the fancy vehicle there everyday.

He also admitted that he had the gut-full of washing her vehicle, to remove the dust and make it sparkly shiny. He tried plastic partitions all all sorts of things until one day he decided that he had enough. He wasn't allowed to built his shed in the backyard but he was allowed to make a couple of holes the the back wall and use about 1 meter of lawn next to the house back wall so, and as a retired bloke with plenty of turnings to do and a fairly wealthy wallet, he invested just under $10,000 in an super majestic Cyclone system with a 8" diameter hose to a specially made hood for his wood-lathe.

That thing was so powerful in suction capabilities that, sand paper and anything he had in is hand and that he wood lose his grip, would be sucked in 1,000 miles per hour. Everything that could produce dust was connected to that system and I can tell you, when it comes to serious wood turning, nothing else will work.

I went from a 1HP dust collector to a 3HP industrial type with huge double bags, and even with the biggest and best hood the money can buy, there is, is available to buy, still far from being enough so, there is not much one can do, when the volume of wood turned is counted in tonnes, wood shavings are simply a "feature" of a woodturning shop/shed...!

Anyway, you more recent pics show the amount of time and effort you have put into it however, looking at a couple of your pics, where I see all those "rounds" with the nice white identification marks on them, and stacked up like the Roman pillars ( music to my ears...!:wink:), I'm sorry to remind you that, your clean shop won't last long...!:eek::biggrin:

Exhibition September 2014, here I come...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

ericofpendom

Bob, the problem is that your shop isn't big enough to spread your tools and things out. Just build a bigger shop and give your stuff space:biggrin: or fill it with more stuff:wink:

When was the last time you used the Woodfast bowlsaver?

Eric..

well I like an organized shop but our hobby really does not lend itself to a clean shop. if you are cleaning you are not turning and that is what us important. now the snake would have owned the shop. I would have had to build another shop, I do nit like snakes.

now t,hat I am in the country I have also figured out I don't like squirrels, skunks, and ants. they bother my shop.

bob the shop looks great! don't keep it that way you don't need a show place, besides it isn't our personalities in general. we are artist or artist want to be.

happy turning.

Adillo303

I don't know how you got from Australia to my shop and took pix without me knowing it.

THANK YOU So VERY MUCH for posting. You have cleansed my soul and removed my guilt.

My Shop looks very much like that. And Yes! I know just where everything is.

lyonsacc

Bob,

Looks good! I get bit by the cleaning bug about once a year, I usually get through about 1/4 of my mess before it is gone . . .

That goblet in pic 4 looks really neat.

You may want to think about putting some form of mesh or screening (maybe 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch) over the hole in your new dust collector hood. You might lose some sandpaper or other items to the vac if they slip out of your hand. DAMHIK.

Dave

Bob Wemm

Bob, the problem is that your shop isn't big enough to spread your tools and things out. Just build a bigger shop and give your stuff space:biggrin: or fill it with more stuff:wink:

When was the last time you used the Woodfast bowlsaver?

Eric..

When we built the shed I had 1/4, now I have 3/4 and there is still not enough room. The shed is 20ft x 40ft.

I used the bowl saver immediately before the clean-up. The stack of rounds was much bigger then.:wink:

Bob Wemm

Bob,

Looks good! I get bit by the cleaning bug about once a year, I usually get through about 1/4 of my mess before it is gone . . .

That goblet in pic 4 looks really neat.

You may want to think about putting some form of mesh or screening (maybe 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch) over the hole in your new dust collector hood. You might lose some sandpaper or other items to the vac if they slip out of your hand. DAMHIK.

Dave

Hi Dave, it looks OK from this side but there is a big hole in the other side.
Never thought about the mesh, thanks for that.
Bob.:rolleyes:

bobleibo

Oye~
I would have a seizure if my shop looked like this....then again I'm an anal nut bag when it comes to being organized. I think it's because I got tired of buying new things because I couldn't find the old one. You really don't want to see a picture of my shop. I recently went thru what you are going thru with pen blanks...I realized I had far more than I will ever use or be able to afford the kits for, but they are cool to look at.
In the spirit of friendship, I would be more than happy to swing by your place and help you organize. We could start with getting rid of all those bowl blanks that are certainly in your way. I think I have some room for them !!!! (I am really, really, really jealous of those!)
Bottom line - if you are happy in your shop, then it is spotless. Think about how great you feel when you find something that you forgot you had. Enjoy the fun!

Last edited:

Deadhead

Glad to see I'm not the only one with a "clean" shop. I like the idea of the plastic bin under the lathe. I think I'll try that.

pinelumber

shop

nice shop buddy!! You have a lot of the same tools ( USA Models) that I have.
I love the Nova lathe it works great. Your shop is so clean compared to mine!! Do you have skype on your computer??

Dennis
Pinelumber:bananen_smilies104::RockOn:

mpmopc

If you clean up then you would have to find a place for all that stuff.
And then you would go and get more stuff, to stack all over your shop.
I believe that is more fun to turn then to clean.

Bob Wemm

nice shop buddy!! You have a lot of the same tools ( USA Models) that I have.
I love the Nova lathe it works great. Your shop is so clean compared to mine!! Do you have skype on your computer??

Dennis
Pinelumber:bananen_smilies104::RockOn:

No Mate, no Skype.

It's all messed up again already. Oh Well, it lasted one day. Probably wont be clean again for another year.

Bob.:redface:

Bob Wemm

If you clean up then you would have to find a place for all that stuff.
And then you would go and get more stuff, to stack all over your shop.
I believe that is more fun to turn then to clean.

You are SOOOO right Phil, but there comes a time when you have to do something. Especially when it is difficult to even get into the shed.:eek:

Cheers,
Bob.

Top Bottom