Dimensions for EasyWood handles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hagemierj

I plan to turn a replacement handle for a carbide tool I have and was thinking of making one similar to the EasyWood style. Have any of you seen dimensions or diagrams for other home made versions common to the EasyWood brand? I figure the real dimensions are protected, but for those who have made similar versions... what have you seen for diagrams?

Thanks,

James

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyitfast

Don't know what sizes they are - there are 3 or 4 different sizes.
Grab a ruler and some calipers and measure one in the size that feels good.
gordon

hagemierj

Should have been more specific, I am thinking to craft mine in line with the mid-size (vs full size or mini).

I could go with the turn and feel method but want to try to get close to the commercial version without measuring at the store :redface:

James

PeetyInMich

You turn it to fit your hand. The dimensions are not set in stone. The handle doesn't need to be as long as a roughing gouge or a "hogging" tool but something around 8" or so (enough space to show off your creativity, and make a comfortable handle). The steel hanging out of the handle can also be relatively short because turning pens doesn't typically require reaching into deep holes or anything (like bowl or vase turning). Try setting up a few chunks of wood, turn a few handles and see what works for you. I did this and found out that the tools that I am comfortable turning pens with are fairly short handled with a 2-3" of steel to hold the carbide.

Wildman

Can find length of easy wood tool handles in any vendor catalog or online site.

"I could go with the turn and feel method but want to try to get close to the commercial version without measuring at the store"

If want an exact copy of that style handle figure it out yourself or go measure one!

hagemierj

Can find length of easy wood tool handles in any vendor catalog or online site.

"I could go with the turn and feel method but want to try to get close to the commercial version without measuring at the store"

If want an exact copy of that style handle figure it out yourself or go measure one!

Thanks for nothing Wildman. I was trying to figure out if anyone had some diameters or a stencil or something like that. Last I checked, that's what forums were for... ask and answer each others questions, give tips and tricks, you know... make it so we don't each have to figure everything out on our own!

hagemierj

You turn it to fit your hand. The dimensions are not set in stone. The handle doesn't need to be as long as a roughing gouge or a "hogging" tool but something around 8" or so (enough space to show off your creativity, and make a comfortable handle). The steel hanging out of the handle can also be relatively short because turning pens doesn't typically require reaching into deep holes or anything (like bowl or vase turning). Try setting up a few chunks of wood, turn a few handles and see what works for you. I did this and found out that the tools that I am comfortable turning pens with are fairly short handled with a 2-3" of steel to hold the carbide.

Peety,

I think I'll go somewhere in-between as well, probably longer than the normal "pen turning" micro kit size but not full size either. It's wild that no one has a personalized diagram or something, guess I'll be doing some trial and error!

its_virgil

I had the diameters and lengths of the Easy Wood Tools I own ready to post but now I think I'll let you do the trial and error thing. I suppose I will get thanked for nothing also. Way to win friends!!
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Thanks for nothing Wildman. I was trying to figure out if anyone had some diameters or a stencil or something like that. Last I checked, that's what forums were for... ask and answer each others questions, give tips and tricks, you know... make it so we don't each have to figure everything out on our own!

hagemierj

I had the diameters and lengths of the Easy Wood Tools I own ready to post but now I think I'll let you do the trial and error thing. I suppose I will get thanked for nothing also. Way to win friends!!
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Wow Don. First I get figure it out yourself and now you're taking a turn.

The way I win friends is to try and HELP... I'm new to this forum, but I have tried to contribute where possible on these boards. So yeah, I'd rather you/he clicked the back button and moved on than dropping "figure it out yourself" and "I'll let you do the trial and error thing on me. "Figuring it out" was obviously what I was asking for help with.

You don't have to help Don, I've neither lost nor gained anything there. I'll just leave you with what you left me with... way to win friends. Oh, and thanks.:bad:

hagemierj

Ok, please allow me to try this again.

Does anyone have the diameters on the mid-size EasyWood handle? I am happy to do some personalization, I understand they are not all the same, and I get that I need to work it until it feels right. I simply don't want to go into Woodcraft and blatently measure their tools... besides, I thought of that already, they're in plastic tubes and locked to the hanger :cool:.

I don't know for sure what size blank to use, so diameters would help confirm whether the one I already bought is big enough before I round it over... and will help me to start close to what you get with the retail version. Diagrams or dimensions from some "EasyWood inspired" handles that you have personalized would also be awesome... if you want to share. If not, thanks for reading.

Pictures of your work are welcomed, but please also include the specifications.

Thanks,

J

Last edited:

hagemierj

Perfect Rick, thanks so much! How do you like the smaller handle portion at the end? If you were about to DIY, would you add the bit at the end? I like that look but kind of wondered about functionality do you find it comfortable?

Again,

Thanks for the pic, MUCH appreciated!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Wow Don. First I get figure it out yourself and now you're taking a turn.

The way I win friends is to try and HELP... I'm new to this forum, but I have tried to contribute where possible on these boards. So yeah, I'd rather you/he clicked the back button and moved on than dropping "figure it out yourself" and "I'll let you do the trial and error thing on me. "Figuring it out" was obviously what I was asking for help with.

You don't have to help Don, I've neither lost nor gained anything there. I'll just leave you with what you left me with... way to win friends. Oh, and thanks.:bad:

As a new contributor... This forum is actually very friendly and helpful! Be polite, be patient and above all read and learn. When you start a response with ...Thanks for nothing... that does not come across as... friendly.

Anyway - enjoy and welcome!

rherrell

Perfect Rick, thanks so much! How do you like the smaller handle portion at the end? If you were about to DIY, would you add the bit at the end? I like that look but kind of wondered about functionality do you find it comfortable?

Again,

Thanks for the pic, MUCH appreciated!

You're welcome. To be honest, I've only used it on small stuff so I haven't even used the smaller back part. It feels good though so I'm sure I'll like it when I turn something larger than a pen.:wink:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
This is a Woodchuck Penpro I had a piece of Oak 1 x 2 cut two pieces 8" long and, glued them together. That gave me a blank to work with. Turn your blank round then, wrap your hand around the blank with your thumb extended. Make a mark on the blank and, start to shape your handle. Of course you will have had to drill for the tongue on the tool at some point prior to shaping it. I don't remember when I did that. Probably, right after the glue dried :confused: Hope this helps. It's just the way I did it. Maybe not the best way and, not as good as Ricks. After sanding I coated it with Deft Poly spray (4 coats)

Attachments

• IMG_1119.JPG
    IMG_1119.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1120.JPG
    IMG_1120.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0774.JPG
    IMG_0774.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 116

shastastan

Thanks, Chuck. I have never tried to do a glue up for a handle blank. Good way to use scraps rather than buy new. A friend gave me some 2.5" x 2.5" walnut blanks that I'm using to make handles for my Harrison Specialty tools. They are the full size ones. I'm just using their pen turning handle for my pen size square tool. I do have some Easy tools, but they are small. I'm making 12" handles for the Harrison Tools and using other lathe tool handles as rough shape guides. I'm not good enough to do turnings with precise measurements. I go more by sight and feel. I'll do a post in a few days when I get all 5 handles done. I bought my ferrules from Craft Supplies for $3 each which I thought was a little pricey. They are brass and thicker than using copper pipe though. FWIW. Not trying to hijack this post from the OP, but your handle is similar to what I'm doing so I thought I would respond to your post.

Top Bottom